Duke @ Miami -3.5

In the after morning glow I want to show a special appreciation to the Canes fans and the marketing dept. I go back to the days of watching Hurricanes basketball in the now retired Dinner Key Auditorium and the Miami Beach convention hall.

As a young boy growing up in South Miami I had visions of what it would look like……this was the best crowd in a great basketball environment that I had always wished for this program.

I am now convinced as was the Orange Bowl now the Watsco qualifies as a home court advantage for this program something I wondered if I would ever see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
The potential on this team is crazy - that Poplar dunk was sick.

I think they have the possibility of being on par or better than the 2013 team.
agreed, except they don't have the size of that team. they are little shorter and risk getting exposed for it. but they are very athletic 1-5 and both Wong and Pack have the ability to go off on runs that can elevate the team.

Advertisement
So ESPN showed Boozer and his kids at some point during the game last night does anyone know if we have any sort of chance with those kids ?
he lives in miami and his kids are miami as a city true and true (when he played w chicago, his family would be in the crowd wearing heat jerseys). college wise? diff story but id expect them to be huge duke fans

The potential on this team is crazy - that Poplar dunk was sick.

I think they have the possibility of being on par or better than the 2013 team.
The 2012 team had LEGIT size throughout the roster. If this year's team had a Julian Gamble, a young Tonye Jekiri or Kenny Kadji on the roster, they would be ranked in the top 3. That team was a top 5 team at one point, they DESTROYED legit teams.

This team is good, but that 2012 team was the best in school history. Has Shane not gotten sick before the S16, that was a championship squad.

Advertisement
he lives in miami and his kids are miami as a city true and true (when he played w chicago, his family would be in the crowd wearing heat jerseys). college wise? diff story but id expect them to be huge duke fans
i would be surprised if the better of the two twins (one is a lot better than the other) doesn't end up at Duke, except for three factors

(a) Coach K is thankfully gone from Duke and Scheyer is getting a lot of heat in his first year
(b) the one twin that is better (maybe both) is going to get to the NBA regardless of where he goes
(c) if the Canes have a deep run in the tournament this year that could prove to be very attractive.

There isnt one kid on Duke who should leave early...but they have 5 more 5 stars committed. So clearly something is going to happen with that roster.
They have an issue on the bench. Coach K had some lean early years so I’m not saying Duke should make a change but they are kidding themselves if they are convinced of Scheyer’s coaching prowess. This may be their Matt Daughterty-like hire that UNC made after Dean retired.

Their point guard can’t dribble and was pulled out 1;30 into the 2nd half. Even when UM switched and left a big open down low Duke failed to get him the ball time and time again. They did very little to take advantage of their extreme height advantage. I saw a poorly coached Duke team for the first time in my lifetime. And UM will exploit every mistake. And we did over and over again.

I have been a Poplar hater all year but the last few games he’s stepped up. He makes some boneheaded decisions but what soph doesn’t? If he keeps it up, this team will go places.
My only 'complaint' with Poplar has been that he'll hit a nice shot (often in the first minute or two of a game) and then disappear. That has always been tempered, however, with understanding he's the 5th option out there and there are only so many shots to spread around.

Advertisement
The 2012 team had LEGIT size throughout the roster. If this year's team had a Julian Gamble, a young Tonye Jekiri or Kenny Kadji on the roster, they would be ranked in the top 3. That team was a top 5 team at one point, they DESTROYED legit teams.

This team is good, but that 2012 team was the best in school history. Has Shane not gotten sick before the S16, that was a championship squad.
I agree on the 2012 team.

I don't, however, think Shane being sick cost us that Marquette game. It surely didn't help but we couldn't buy an outside shot that night and Marquette couldn't miss. That's the way the NCAAT is. You get the wrong team on the wrong night and you're done.

My only 'complaint' with Poplar has been that he'll hit a nice shot (often in the first minute or two of a game) and then disappear. That has always been tempered, however, with understanding he's the 5th option out there and there are only so many shots to spread around.

Poplar would start off like gangbusters, but disappear after his first substitution. And L would keep him on the bench for an extended period.

Once Poplar returned to the game, he seemed to be out of rhythm.

Now that L is giving him extended minutes and subbing him like the rest of the starters, he is really excelling and putting in 30 minutes of consistently quality basketball.

Last edited:

That's why I joked in another thread that we should hire Carlos Boozer as Coach in Waiting.

Advertisement
Back