Duke Johnson will start next year IMO

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
Just watched his highlight from the state finals on Scout and don;t believe there is anyway he stays out of the starting line-up. May take a few weeks, but the kid is a natural runner, great feet, tremendous balance and vision and when he hits the hole there is no hesitation.

Was equally impressed with what I saw him doing catching the ball out of the backfield. He's a better receiver than L. Miller was for us this year and seems to run with more decisiveness, he doesn't have same top end speed as Miller, but has better feet IMO and will make an immediate impact on the 2012 squad. His ability to pass block may be the only thing to slow him down as I didn't see him asked to block in the highlight reel.

I like Clements and have always loved M. James, but neither are at this kids level IMO.

Advertisement
I don't see him red-shirting next year, but don't know about starting.

He'll be starting around the 3rd or 4th game. We will complain he doesn't get the ball enough in the first few games.

Advertisement
Game one coaches will go with expericence....Mike James and Eduardo.

Perhaps Duke gets some PT though.

And if he's the real deal perhaps he could start by mid-season.

I'm telling you now, dont sleep on that running back from Venice..

He's the type of running back Golden likes... a tough between the tackles running back..

Advertisement
this thread is dumb. dude is not better than l.miller.

I agree. And he isnt better than Edge either so it looks like 3rd string for Duke.

For real though Clements isnt scaring anyone. He looked ok, briefly, but the job is there for the taking. Duke might not start day one but I bet he gets to start before the season is over.

I agree. And he isnt better than Edge either so it looks like 3rd string for Duke.

For real though Clements isnt scaring anyone. He looked ok, briefly, but the job is there for the taking. Duke might not start day one but I bet he gets to start before the season is over.

I didn't say he was better than L. Miller, said he has better feet IMO. I believe by the 3-4th game of the year he will have over taken Clements or Mike James. The kid is the future of our running game, and has the potential to be special at UM very early in his career.

Not as explosive as Lamar Miller, but could eventually become just as good a weapon. Every time I see him run I just instantly get reminded of Frank Gore

Advertisement

I didn't say he was better than L. Miller, said he has better feet IMO. I believe by the 3-4th game of the year he will have over taken Clements or Mike James. The kid is the future of our running game, and has the potential to be special at UM very early in his career.

I was completely being sarcastic because of the other poster talking about Miller as if he is going to be on the team next year. Thats why I brought up Edge. Neither have anything to do with Duke starting next year. Bad joke I guess.

Advertisement
Duke will see pt, but he will not be our main back... Physical development is just as important when dealing with a recruit... I believe he's coming in the summer as well... He's talented but lets not pretend like we have a bunch of scrubs at running back... James is a good back and Clements has great potential and can do everything Duke can do... Although Duke is more of a flashy recruit as far as fundamentals they both have skills that coaches like... And we have yet to see Hall who is a big back with talent... Duke will see the field but we dont know if he can block or can take the punishment of a whole season... However, Duke will get touches through kr,pr, slot, and as a back... I see us utilizing Duke in the same manner as Oregon used DeAnthony Thomas...

Duke will see pt, but he will not be our main back... Physical development is just as important when dealing with a recruit... I believe he's coming in the summer as well... He's talented but lets not pretend like we have a bunch of scrubs at running back... James is a good back and Clements has great potential and can do everything Duke can do... Although Duke is more of a flashy recruit as far as fundamentals they both have skills that coaches like... And we have yet to see Hall who is a big back with talent... Duke will see the field but we dont know if he can block or can take the punishment of a whole season... However, Duke will get touches through kr,pr, slot, and as a back... I see us utilizing Duke in the same manner as Oregon used DeAnthony Thomas...

All good points. I think Duke is too **** good to keep off the field. I like Clements but we gotta see if he can handle being the feature back. I'm a huge Mike James fan but he just didnt look good. The difference between him and Miller was much bigger than I thought.

All good points. I think Duke is too **** good to keep off the field. I like Clements but we gotta see if he can handle being the feature back. I'm a huge Mike James fan but he just didnt look good. The difference between him and Miller was much bigger than I thought.

Duke is a difference maker and I feel that after the first few games he will be too good to keep out of the starting line-up.

It's not right to compare, but I will any way, his freshman year could be like Frank Gore's freshman year, except Duke won't have NFL type RBs in front of him.

Advertisement
Back