Duke Johnson interview

I didn't say he would trash the caveman, but, but he might say he didn't come out of a real QB friendly system.

You getting off Chronochallengebal's jock after next year's seven win season?
Well, the same line of questioning can’t be asked to Herbert because he did win at Oregon. If Herbert thought Mario’s scheme wasn’t QB friendly, why did he came back when he was already viewed has the best QB in the 2018 draft? You’re trying to push a narrative on Herbert that probably doesn’t exist.

Where did I post anything to suggest I’m on Mario’s jock? I always said Mario is one of the worst gameday coach in the country, even when he was at Oregon.

I think you got rocked too close to the wall as a baby…

Advertisement
He was the featured back in Houston for 3 straight games in November of 2020, & was hella ineffective w/ D Watson as QB. He lost his role.

He was the featured back for Miami during the 2021 season for 4 straight games.

Duke was a better 3rd Down Back vs. an every down back at the next level. He had a couple of big games for Miami, but it was inconsistent. His best years came as a 3rd down back role in Cleveland.
lol that not a legit shot. That was because of injuries

A legit chance is giving the guy the requisite amount of carries needed not just start those games and get 10 carries cmon man

Why would he get more carries when he’s ineffective? I’m not giving 20+ carries when u r avg. 3.1 ypc. What r u talking about? Even my Bears had to let its “starting RB” ride the pine b/c he was giving us nothing. Either u is or u ain’t; I said what I said, Duke was a nice complimentary back, and when he was given a shot, he showed y he’s been a complimentary back.

Advertisement
Why would he get more carries when he’s ineffective? I’m not giving 20+ carries when u r avg. 3.1 ypc. What r u talking about? Even my Bears had to let its “starting RB” ride the pine b/c he was giving us nothing. Either u is or u ain’t; I said what I said, Duke was a nice complimentary back, and when he was given a shot, he showed y he’s been a complimentary back.
I’m not saying he would’ve been a #1 but getting 10 carries isn’t enough to see and it’s not like he was playing behind good o-lines. But we can agree to disagree

I never realized when Al Golden would say “Are you kiidding me, Joe?” I always thought he meant Joe Rose, when I realized he meant Joe Paterno.

Golden is an interesting coach in terms of what it meant for the program. UM had gone with 3 internal hires in a row over a decade plus - Butch (wildly successful), Coker (initially successful), then Shannon (complete flop). Then for the first time UM decided to do an actual coaching search, but the budget was limited to basically G5 HCs or P5 coordinators. At the same time I think there were some hints from the ncaa that trouble was brewing so that may have winnowed down the options even more.

Golden flopped in large part because he was too hard headed to change his defensive philosophy. He wanted a BIG10 style 3-4 defense, everyone said he was a fool for not sticking with UMs traditional 4-3 (ironically Richts first choice for DC, Aranda, was also a 3-4 guy). Yet the lesson the UM admin took was "Never hire a guy without program connections ever again."
You can run a 3-4 at Miami, it just has to be ran a certain way

Exactly; his first yr he was practically splitting carries w/ Crowell. Duke did nothing to set himself apart, but he found a cool role as a 3rd down back. He real opportunity came in Houston, & again, didn’t seize the opportunity.

I just hate revisionism. Duke is legit one of my all time favorite Canes. When he committed here, I promise u I gave ‘87 MJ a run for his $$ for my vert. Lol. I thought Cleveland got a steal w/ him as a 3rd rounder. At the end, Duke wasn’t a featured back not due to opportunities, but due to being mostly ineffective in that role when presented. He was a solid role guy, & there’s nothing wrong w/ that. Great player here, marginal player at the next level where he made $$.
Yes Duke career went kinda like Reggie Bush elite in college, solid in the NFL

Advertisement
I’m not saying he would’ve been a #1 but getting 10 carries isn’t enough to see and it’s not like he was playing behind good o-lines. But we can agree to disagree

You guys are both correct.

@252cane - Duke only got 10+ carries in 4 games his first 5 yrs / 80 games in the NFL. Despite averaging 4.4 ypc, he never got more than 13 carries in a game.
He never really got a chance.

@Rellyrell - You're right - Duke got his shot in 2020 with Houston and didn't play well. That was his only real shot, and it happened to be in his worst season.

When he finally did get the chance, he didn't capitalize.

@252cane - Duke only got 10+ carries in 4 games his first 5 yrs / 80 games in the NFL. Despite averaging 4.4 ypc, he never got more than 13 carries in a game.

@Rellyrell - You're right - Duke got his shot in 2020 with Houston and didn't play well. That was his only real shot, and it happened to be in his worst season.

Good points but also in 2020 that Houston o-line wasn’t good and the run game was bad all around. Think they were last in rushing and as a team only went over 100 yards 5 times

Good points but also in 2020 that Houston o-line wasn’t good and the run game was bad all around. Think they were last in rushing and as a team only went over 100 yards 5 times
I'm as big a fan as Duke as there is. He had a good NFL career, but I agree with you he had some bad breaks where we didn't get to see his full potential.

2020 Houston - they were last in rushing because they were last in attempts. Duke (5 starts) averaged 3.1 ypc while David Johnson (12 starts) averaged 4.7 ypc. Duke just had a bad year.

You have a good point on the injury in 2020 - he twisted his ankle game 1, missed the next 2 games, then just wasn't good the rest of the season. I'd like to think the ankle was the cause, but maybe it's an excuse - I can see either argument & who knows. It just sucks his 1 real chance at starting was in the middle of his worst year.

I'm as big a fan as Duke as there is. He had a good NFL career, but I agree with you he had some bad breaks where we didn't get to see his full potential.

2020 Houston - they were last in rushing because they were last in attempts. Duke (5 starts) averaged 3.1 ypc while David Johnson (12 starts) averaged 4.7 ypc. Duke just had a bad year.

You have a good point on the injury in 2020 - he twisted his ankle game 1, missed the next 2 games, then just wasn't good the rest of the season. I'd like to think the ankle was the cause, but maybe it's an excuse - I can see either argument & who knows. It just sucks his 1 real chance at starting was in the middle of his worst year.
It is what it is. He still was one of the top receiving backs in the league during his time and he made a few million while not having any serious injuries

Advertisement
Well, the same line of questioning can’t be asked to Herbert because he did win at Oregon. If Herbert thought Mario’s scheme wasn’t QB friendly, why did he came back when he was already viewed has the best QB in the 2018 draft? You’re trying to push a narrative on Herbert that probably doesn’t exist.

Where did I post anything to suggest I’m on Mario’s jock? I always said Mario is one of the worst gameday coach in the country, even when he was at Oregon.

I think you got rocked too close to the wall as a baby…

Nice cherry picking, too bad the internet has the receipts:

Yes, that paragon of sports excellence (after Yahoo Sports) thought he was best and could beat out Dwayne Haskins (RIP)....Not exactly a glowing endorsement to getting a max rookie contract

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/14/2019-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-justin-herbert

Herbert, local kid from Eugene, bets on himself and wants to win the PAC 12 and Rose Bowl. Mission accomplished. The betting on himself as Mario's Neanderthal offense creeps in has an unexpected consequence:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-herbert/32004845-5203-1169-a699-ce41d700202a

"Weaknesses
  • Disappointing impact as passer over final four games"
He did have a good combine (away from brilliant Mario), which got him to the number three QB selected in 2020.

Gee, its not me pushing a narrative, these are the actual reports. Mario hurt Herbert's draft stock, end of story.

"I always said Mario is one of the worst gameday coach in the country, even when he was at Oregon."

Wow, now that is living dangerously, considering well publicized clock *****-ups at both schools by your guy...You the person telling your significant other "its okay, you go in" in the convenience store parking lot at 2:00 AM?

"...rocked to close to the wall as a baby"

Oooh, is that a Columbus Silver Spoon $#!+ head crack on us commoners having smaller houses? Yeah, the elites destroying the program with dumb@$$ grad coach who is doing it in four years.

Answer the question, your feeble arguments are pablum.

i think he bulked up that year a bit and it might have slowed him down.

Advertisement
Back