Duke Johnson Comparison

Suprusingly he's remarkably efficient getting from point A to B.

Not the same type if runner but on the first TD actually had a little Emmitt Smith in him.

Advertisement
I'm gunna go watch Mr. Duke and his team play this Friday... am looking forward to it!

But for now, never having seen him live, I would say Warrick Dunn.

Smallish, super quick, first man never touches him.

Not even close to Warrick Dunn. Dunn was in the mold of Barry Sanders who made a incredible amount of moves. Duke is more stiff and straight a head runner who can advoid tackles. He runs like Reggie Bush, Porter or McFadden,.

Duke does not have his second gear yet. Around 19 or 20 he would have grown man speed and his second gear.

I'm gunna go watch Mr. Duke and his team play this Friday... am looking forward to it!

Not even close to Warrick Dunn. Dunn was in the mold of Barry Sanders who made a incredible amount of moves. Duke is more stiff and straight a head runner who can advoid tackles. He runs like Reggie Bush, Porter or McFadden,.

Duke does not have his second gear yet. Around 19 or 20 he would have grown man speed and his second gear.

I disagree with the bolded parts.

I disagree with the bolded parts.

Most freshman who are fast lack that extra gear initally. As they mature into adults around 19 and 20, that extra gear is very noticable.

Duke is more stiff and is not your stop and start back. He will elude tackles but not anything like a Warrick Dunn or Barry Sanders.

He runs nothing like Dunn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdx2JeAULJ4

Warrick Dunn.

The size, speed, quickness, vision and power are very comparable. Only got to see it once vs BC, but I think that, pound for pound, Duke may have the best stiff arm I have ever seen.

Advertisement
I said Marshall Faulk when I saw him as a junior, but I'm leaning more this way because of his inside running.

I've only seen a handful of RBs ever high-step so naturally. It's almost weird. Like he's giving the crowd a heads up that he's about to hit top gear.

The comparisons both should have same body type. And for this subject no need
to look outside Cane family cause he is a Clinton Portis clone.
Portis came in at 190.
Portis had more long runs than any college RB i can remember.

Advertisement
Despite different body types, Dukes running style reminds me a heck of a lot like ****erson's. He runs upright, picks up his knees and gets low when he feels contact is coming. Also uses his hand extremely well. He gets north and south extremely fast like ****erson did.
But I also see some Portis qualities like his balance and quick feet.

Last edited:
****erson? No, but if you want to go old school I might say Tony Dorsett- extremely fast, great burst, balance and ability to shake would-be tacklers in and out of the hole. Similar to Duke I don't think Dorsett was more than 5-10 but grew tree trunks for legs after 2-3 seasons in Dallas.

No, but for real, I think he's like a hybrid between Red Grange, Luke Staley, Ron Dayne, and Ja'mar Toombs...maybe a little Byron Hanspard in there, too.

I can see the LT comparison. I have only seen a handleful of duke carries, but i would say they resemble the LT highlight film.

Advertisement
i dont even know why its being debated.....

He is all CLINTON PORTIS...from the staying low and squaring up to not take big hits...to the stiff arm...and the quick two step cut.......

I was saying his running style was CP when he was a sophomore.

No, but for real, I think he's like a hybrid between Red Grange, Luke Staley, Ron Dayne, and Ja'mar Toombs...maybe a little Byron Hanspard in there, too.

Ah, c'mon Lawrence, you had till Staley( dude was white, for pete's sake!!)

Advertisement
Back