Duke and Manny

I don't understand the Manny hate. I'm happy he's no longer our coach, but also wish him the best and hope he does well. He's a guy that liked the Canes but also wasn't ready for the job. He wasn't stubborn and did his best to try to adapt & succeed. Good guy, not a good Canes coach. Now Golden, that's a different story...

Advertisement
Advertisement
You guys do know whenever Manny Diaz was recruiting a player and when an SEC team came into the picture then Manny would back off in defeat. Manny is nowhere a recruiter that Mario is. I strongly disagree we would be a 9-10 win team under him. His defenses had fallen apart and thats what he was suppose to be good at. Imagine if he didn't have Lashlee cause thats all his teams had was a fun air raid team with no defense or running game. Miami got really soft under Manny and the talent level was at its lowest in my lifetime
What if manny was funded as well as Mario is in recruiting pursuits?

You guys do know whenever Manny Diaz was recruiting a player and when an SEC team came into the picture then Manny would back off in defeat. Manny is nowhere a recruiter that Mario is. I strongly disagree we would be a 9-10 win team under him. His defenses had fallen apart and thats what he was suppose to be good at. Imagine if he didn't have Lashlee cause thats all his teams had was a fun air raid team with no defense or running game. Miami got really soft under Manny and the talent level was at its lowest in my lifetime
2012 Miami had the lowest talent level (on paper) of any Miami team in the last two decades. And it’s not even close. 2021 Miami had a blue chip ratio that was in the mid 40s. The 2012 Miami team had fallen in two years from around 40% to the low 20s.

Recruiting under Manny wasn’t bad in general, and he should get credit for maximizing the transfer portal as a very early adopter (King, Smith, Bubba). However he had personnel failures at specific positions - linebacker, defensive back, offensive line - that caught up with him in 2021. I did like that he wasn’t stubborn - he was constantly trying to adjust his way out of problems, unlike Golden.

Bad QB play in 2019? Sign King.
Substandard offense in 2019? Sign Lashlee
Poor punting in 2018? Sign awesome Aussie punter
Poor kicking in 2019? Sign top portal kicker
Decimated 2019 signing class? Become early adopter of the transfer portal

Last edited:
Advertisement
No what if. Manny didn’t enjoy recruiting and Mario is obsessed.
Also Mario has a didn’t connection with the kids and their families
Mario is significantly better historically recruiting high school players. Manny gets an edge on portal recruiting — and that’s with less funding.

I don’t have a horse in the race in this one. But it’s safe to say Mario has a much larger budget than manny did, right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back