Duke and Dorsett

I thought these guys would have done more in the league. It looks like they have made very little impact. Is it the teams they play on?

watch the browns and colts for like 10 minutes and it'll be pretty clear.

Yup. If the browns let duke go next season I would love to see him in Dallas with zeke.. I think he would be an amazing compliment to zeke and he would actually be in an offense that would use his ability

Dorsett is a one trick pony who happens to be on a team with zero identity and has a QB who is a human turnstile with zero time to get the ball down field for the one trick...

Advertisement
According to NFL.com Duke is averaging 4.9 yards/carry, and 9.7 yards/reception this season.

It may not be huge, but he should definitely get a decent second contract. Hopefully somewhere better than Cleveland.

Advertisement
I thought these guys would have done more in the league. It looks like they have made very little impact. Is it the teams they play on?

Duke avg dang near 5 yards a carry and yet he hardly got any burn at RB b/c he plays for one of the worst franchises in American Sport's history.

Dorsett avg 16 yards a catch and finally started getting the ball thrown his way a bit towards the end of the year and got into the end one. Colts have stunk the last couple of years b/c their OL may be worst than ours.

Both have done well under the circumstances.

Duke is on the Browns splitting time with Crowell. Dorsett is on a team with too many good receiving options to be considered a top target. If you put him on a team that actually needs a solid #2 guy, he will be productive imo.

Advertisement
Both really good players however when we talk about the "old days" you are talking about Pro Bowlers ..... they are not that

I think Duke can be a legit player. Hate the Patriots but imagine Duke in that Dion Lewis role from a year ago...
Dorsett can't run timing routes but he will stick around the league IMO.

When Duke gets the ball he makes a play but they barely give him the ball. Duke is still my favorite Player/Cane ever. And he's probably my favorite for how young I am and I've never seen the good times as a Miami fan.

Advertisement
Duke Johnson desperately needs free agency. Get him to Green Bay or New England or a team that has some sort of established quarterback play that gets the football to backs out of the backfield - SD, NO, ATL, KC. He'd be a revelation in that environment. As is, he's a Top 5 receiver out of the backfield in the league...with a real QB and a good system, he'd be a monster.

Will never be much of a runner at the pro level...RB2 type, but RB1 type getting him in the open field in the pass game.

Dorsett is a one trick pony...deep ball threat...on a team with a better deep ball threat already.

Advertisement
Duke has been doing well. Cleveland is happy with him.

I expected more from Dorset but he still makes the occasional splash play.

Dorsett was/is a one trick pony. It was a terrible reach by the Colts drafting him so early. Duke has been good considering the team he plays for. He'll never be a 20 carry per game back but he could put up monster numbers on a team with a quarterback.

Not sure why you got downvoted. I liked Dorsett just fine but it was definitely a reach to take him in the first round.

Dorsett was/is a one trick pony. It was a terrible reach by the Colts drafting him so early. Duke has been good considering the team he plays for. He'll never be a 20 carry per game back but he could put up monster numbers on a team with a quarterback.

Not sure why you got downvoted. I liked Dorsett just fine but it was definitely a reach to take him in the first round.

Some DBJ homers think you need to worship every ex Miami player. I'm just being honest. I'd fire a GM who used a first round pick on Dorsett.

I scratched my head when the Colts selected Dorsett. They had much greater needs at other positions and were already well stocked with WRs. Nevertheless, I am happy for him and always glad to see a Cane do well.

As for Duke, playing on the Browns is a tremendous handicap. The best that can be hoped for when drafted by a team like the current Browns is to wait for free agency and then go somewhere else, like Travis Benjamin did. (Yes, the Chargers stink, but at least they have a top QB to feed the WRs.) I put the Jets and Bills in the came class as the Browns.

Advertisement
Back