Dudes That Aren't Here Yet

Good teams don't rely on incoming freshmen to be major contributors. Especially if those freshmen didn't participate in spring practices. I think he was likely referring to portal additions and players who couldn't participate during the spring due to injuries

Last edited:
Advertisement
With the lifespan and pay of a RB versus a Corner, would think that these kids who think twice. Duke was our best RB over the last decade and even he wishes he played corner.
Yea RB isnt the glamour position it once was. Corners get paid and have longer careers. I know they tote the rock but I wouldnt be pushing RB, brutal position, takes a pounding and pay is dropping towards bottom quick.

Advertisement
Do you think Mario considers us a good team? :monkey-serious:
Not a playoffs/championship caliber team, but i believe he set his sight on competing in the ACC. He won't be content with another 5 - 7 or 6 - 6 season. It seems unlikely that he would rely heavily on freshmen to take on major roles, unless he has no other options

Not a playoffs/championship caliber team, but i believe he set his sight on competing in the ACC. He won't be content with another 5 - 7 or 6 - 6 season. It seems unlikely that he would rely heavily on freshmen to take on major roles, unless he has no other options
Mario is a salesman. He knows **** well this team needs help. You can sell going 7-5 with a bowl win while having freshman playing all over the field. Freshman will have major roles because that’s what he’s selling to these elite kids.

A major role for a freshman is contributing in the two deep not necessarily starting.

I'm pumped about the speed CJ is bringing to the RB position. He can be a home run hitter at RB that we haven't had in a very long time. Mark Fletcher and Chris Johnson could very well be that often spoken of yet rarely seen Thunder and Lightning combo at RB.

Advertisement
-Bruno and Frankie are raw, I think they redshirt barring injury.
-Fletcher (IMO) is the best back we have by the end of the season or maybe sooner depending on how quickly he picks up the plays/blocking.
-CJ will be using sparingly this season. D Brown may be a starter by the end of the season, has the most upside in the CB room next to Graves.
-Popo gets into rotation immediately as MLB. Malik Bryant sprinkled in at WILL
Malik sprinkled in for a short time only...Kid's gonna be a Star.

With the lifespan and pay of a RB versus a Corner, would think that these kids who think twice. Duke was our best RB over the last decade and even he wishes he played corner.
Bro...
We have a kid right now who can be a P5 Corner recruit but he wants to play WR. (I'm switching him anyway though lol)

(not saying this applies to CJ but)
It's getting harder and harder to find kids who want to play DB these days. It's this "me first" and "give me attention" generation.
Football is very offensive centric right now.
They all want to touch the football. Some of them don't want to buy-in to the process of learning DB. Takes a lot of development and growing pains. They don't want to get moss'd on social media either.
They rather play the pretty boy positions and run fancy routes and catch the football.

There's kids out here who are 5'11"-6'2" and are pedestrian at WR...with little to no offers...and a position change could change their entire life.
Just the height alone will get you noticed at DB. Scouts covet length at DB.
You could be mediocre, but if a scout arrives to spring practice and sees a 6'2" kid at DB, he immediately starts evaluating him. And even if he's not 'that' good, if he's got the physical tools and attitude, most scouts think they can work with him.

Both of the Freshman CB's I have in college right now were WR's at some point in high school and made the switch. Both were 6'1" and pedestrian at WR. They made the switch and turned into D1 Corners. One started as a True Freshman and only has 2 years total of CB under his belt.

Every school I've coached at in the past 10 years has had 2x/3x as many WR's on the roster as DB's.

Bro...
We have a kid right now who can be a P5 Corner recruit but he wants to play WR. (I'm switching him anyway though lol)

It's getting harder and harder to find kids who want to play DB these days. It's this "me first" and "give me attention" generation.
They all want to touch the football. Some of them don't want to buy-in to the process of learning DB. Takes a lot of development and growing pains. They don't want to get moss'd on social media either.
They rather play the pretty boy positions and run fancy routes and catch the football.

There's kids out here who are 5'11"-6'2" and are pedestrian at WR...with little to no offers...and a position change could change their entire life.
You could be mediocre, but if a scout arrives to spring practice and sees a 6'2" kid at DB, he immediately starts evaluating him. And even if he's not 'that' good, if he's got the physical tools and attitude, most scouts think they can work with him.

Both of the Freshman CB's I have in college right now were WR's at some point in high school and made the switch. Both were 6'1" and pedestrian at WR. They made the switch and turned into D1 Corners. One started as a True Freshman and only has 2 years total of CB under his belt.

Every school I've coached at in the past 10 years has had 2x/3x as many WR's on the roster as DB's.
right. kids want to score the touchdowns. My boy who played back in the day said Sean Taylor was a stud RB in HS and legit had no interest. He just wanted to hit people. The old school mentally is gone. You wont find alot of Ronnie Lott's, Sean Taylors, etc.

Advertisement
Bro...

I remember when my boy took over a terrible program and had tryouts.. Everyone wanted to play WR, even oline sized guys wanted to play "TE" or something,
:ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Look at Dj Ivey, this guy get bombed every chance he gets and had coaches willing to sacrifice their first born for him every time.. They were speaking on how nice he is like it mattered when he cant do his job on field. Just looking good at 6'1 is enough for some people, you dont even need film.

Bro...

I asked Fabian Moreau, before he got to ucla, if he was switching to corner and he told me “**** no!” Bet he does not regret the coaches making that decision for him or himself accepting that position switch.

right. kids want to score the touchdowns. My boy who played back in the day said Sean Taylor was a stud RB in HS and legit had no interest. He just wanted to hit people. The old school mentally is gone. You wont find alot of Ronnie Lott's, Sean Taylors, etc.
Those studs would be getting kicked out of games regularly if they hit the same way today.

Advertisement
I asked Fabian Moreau, before he got to ucla, if he was switching to corner and he told me “**** no!” Bet he does not regret the coaches making that decision for him or himself accepting that position switch.
He's another example of a kid I had who made the switch and it made him rich.

Bro...

I think this was the exact same speech Jim Harbaugh gave one of his reserve WRs at Stanford. The kid listened and bought into it…

Richard Sherman ain’t no dummy.

Advertisement
Back