DT run defense

I thought Garvin did a poor job in that game at setting the edge late. He seemed confused and your right, Hill made too many boneheads plays to be a RSR.
Several times, Howell ran a read option of Garvin. Garvin was stuck on an island without an LB scrapping in for support. It made him look foolish as RB ran inside him for long gains.

Advertisement
Agreed. Only weakness Mannys D has had over years is running up the middle.
That's often a problem with attacking 4-3, going back to JJ. I think we're blending more 3-4 concepts and protecting gaps which might make us better at interior run defense. I see DE's standing up and not always rushing. That looks more like the old 3-4 read and react. It was very effective for us under Schnellenberger and Olivadotti, not so much under Digiorno and Golden.
Would appreciate a better X's and O's guys tell us if they notice same thing. I just think we're doing some things different. Manny just said though he wants basically DTs who don't lean and clog but guys who get upfield.

That's often a problem with attacking 4-3, going back to JJ. I think we're blending more 3-4 concepts and protecting gaps which might make us better at interior run defense. I see DE's standing up and not always rushing. That looks more like the old 3-4 read and react. It was very effective for us under Schnellenberger and Olivadotti, not so much under Digiorno and Golden.
Would appreciate a better X's and O's guys tell us if they notice same thing. I just think we're doing some things different. Manny just said though he wants basically DTs who don't lean and clog but guys who get upfield.

What I am seeing is a commitment to make running QB’s stay in the pocket and force a throw. We did it with Franks and it worked for the most part. We got burned on one deep pass that should have been covered up by a Safety. We did it against BC very well. He never was a threat to run. I didn’t pay enough attention to how we defended Howell. So how do we defend against CM? That will be interesting to watch. I have no idea if their QB is a running threat. If he is, I think you see more of the zone blitz type scheme.

Advertisement
Is this because we are less aggressive on the line?

Seems the trade off is less TFL and sacks but better run support?

According to PFF our hurries and chances for sacks have been there we just haven’t finished and should expect them to happen soon with that many opportunities. Almost like a real low BABIP in baseball.

If Diaz can find a way to get our pass defense they way it was last season AND stop the run like we’ve been doing I think we can finally have a complete defense that can hold almost anyone.

Although I hated the way we defended the run down the stretch vs UNC. The stunts hurt us

According to PFF our hurries and chances for sacks have been there we just haven’t finished and should expect them to happen soon with that many opportunities. Almost like a real low BABIP in baseball.

If Diaz can find a way to get our pass defense they way it was last season AND stop the run like we’ve been doing I think we can finally have a complete defense that can hold almost anyone.

Although I hated the way we defended the run down the stretch vs UNC. The stunts hurt us

Stunts and delayed DB blitzes are the death of this defense. I'm sure they have redeeming qualities, but they kill us all the time.

Stunts and delayed DB blitzes are the death of this defense. I'm sure they have redeeming qualities, but they kill us all the time.

Ive been trying to figure out what it is with those as well. It’s gotta be analytics telling them to keep it up or something. Maybe by the numbers the big losses outweigh the positive runs? Who knows. Kinda like a guy hitting .200 with 40 bombs as opposed to someone hitting .300 with 15.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, Canes ranked 75th in the nation in sacks, which is mind boggling under a Diaz Defense.

Miami is 128th in the nation in sacks given up. Need to fix these stats ASAP.
Giving up 10 sacks in one game will do that to you lol.

On D, I agree they could probably get after the passer better.

"According to PFF, Miami’s starting edge rushers—Jonathan Garvin and Scott Patchan—are doing a nice job of generating pressure, but the sack numbers haven’t followed.

Jonathan Garvin has totaled ten quarterback pressures on 68 pass rushing snaps. He currently doesn’t have a sack credited this year. His rate of a quarterback pressure for every 6.8 pass rushing snaps, however is improved from last season. In 2018, Garvin generated a pressure on every 9.6 pass rushing snaps—which was second on the team.

Scott Patch is currently averaging a pressure for every 6.8 pass rushing snaps as well.

Joe Jackson led the 2018 defense in quarterback pressures, averaging a pressure for every 5.4 pass rushing snaps.

One back-up who is generating pressure in limited action is Gregory Rousseau, who is pressuring the quarterback once every 5.5 snaps.

Why are Miami’s sack totals not necessarily where UM fans expect? It ultimately comes down to finishing. The pressure numbers indicate the sacks will come."

Did anybody see Jon Garvin get blatantly held against Bethune? It was a sure fire sack. The QB got sacked by Gurvan instead of Jon.

We have to agree that he has at least one sack and given the refs propensity to keep flags tucked when Miami is trespassed against, he probably has been held on several others.

We also have to acknowledge that those stunts do work when they are designed to match an interior lineman against a DE one on one in space. When looking for this sequence, I saw Jon run out in the flats with a running back. I like the defense minus the guys getting beat in man coverage.

1568906111885.png

1568906162336.png

1568906200087.png

1568906241185.png

And then he just slows down because he doesn't want to sack the guy?? (that's what I thought when I was watching it live...)

From a better angle:

1568906301205.png

1568906335480.png

1568906461618.png

Attachments

• 1568906425369.png
    1568906425369.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This.

Hill ain’t bout dat run stopping life and setting the edge life.
Sometimes it’s not even about stopping the run and setting a hard edge - just simply keep contain so the LBs and Safeties have a chance to clean it up. Getting washed down inside or pushed 10 yards upfield is what you can’t have.

If these guys want to make money show them nfl ends setting the edge.....you have to be able to do it. Stats are great in college but nfl front offices will scrutinize your tape.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back