DT Recruiting

motorcitycane

Senior
I believe that defense wins championships even in this era of high powered offenses.

Our front 7 in 2017 can be as good if not better than several of these national championship squads. I believe all 3 of our LBs will make it to the league. All of our starting DL will and two backups as well. We have some serious talent this season.

I would love to see us get back to having dominant DL consistently and I believe we will with coach Kools Track Record.

I want to see us land some dominant DL to take over and control a game like Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, Joey Bosa, Robert Nkemdiche, Leonard Williams, Vic Beasley, Jadeveon Clowney, Aaron Donalds, Fletcher Cox, Marcell Dareus, JJ WATT, Robert Quinn, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, JPP, Brian Orakpo,

Let's look back at the last few years of national champions and the front 7's that were on those teams.

2016 Clemson
This group was actually underrated. We will see why in a few years when the rest of these guys go pro.

DL Christian Wilkins, Carlos Watkins, Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferell
LB Dorian O' Daniel, Kendall Joseph, Ben Boulware

2015 Alabama
This group was dominant entire DL will be in the league once Da'Ron Payne leaves after the 2017 season. Foster and
DL A'Shawn Robinson, Da'Ron Payne, Jarran Reed
LB: Dillon Lee, Reggie Ragland, Rueben Foster, Denzell Devall

2014 Ohio State
DL: Joey Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Michael Bennett, Noah Spence
LB: Darron Lee, Curtis Grant, Joshua Perry

2013 FSWHO
DL: Mario Edwards, Eddie Goldman, Tim Jernigan, DeMarcus Walker,
LB: Telvin Smith, Terrance Smith, Christian Jones

2012 Alabama
DL: Ed Stinson, Jesse Williams, Damion Square
LB: Xzavier Disckson, Nico Johnson, Trey Depriest, Adrian Hubbard

2011 Alabama
DL: Jesse Williams, Damion Square, Josh Chapman
LB: Courtney Upshaw, Nico Johnson, Dont'a Hightower, Jerrell Harris

Nick Fairley was extremely dominant!
DL: Nick Fairley, Zach Clayton, Antoine Carter, Nosa Eguwae
LB: Craig Stevens, Josh Bynes, Eltorro Freeman,

2009 Alabama
DL Terrance Cody, Brandon Deadrick, Lorenzo Washington,
LB: Cory Reamer, Rolondo McClain, Dont'a Hightower, Eryk Anders

2008 Florida
DL: Jermaine Cunningham, Terron Sanders, Lawrence Marsh, Carlos Dunlap,
LB: AJ Jones, Brandon Spikes, Dustin Doe,

All of this to say I love where we are and would love to see us add some nice quality DTS this 2018 cycle and 2019 cycle.

Advertisement
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] has an older thread similar to this that's worth looking at. I'll try and find it.

Miami can find or create quality 3Techs in florida, the problem is finding the war daddy 1-Tech types.

Case in point for 2018 Miami has targeted Davoan Hawkins and Dennis Briggs As DE's that grew into 3 techs. UM was lucky enough to land 1Tech Nesta Silvia

Last edited:
But we need another 1 Tech tech that can run an And those of the players that are the holy Grail of football. They usually don't get all the fanfare and don't get all the attention but those that award daddy's that really controller game.

Such as Trevor Trout from St Louis.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I believe that defense wins championships even in this era of high powered offenses.

Our front 7 in 2017 can be as good if not better than several of these national championship squads. I believe all 3 of our LBs will make it to the league. All of our starting DL will and two backups as well. We have some serious talent this season.

I would love to see us get back to having dominant DL consistently and I believe we will with coach Kools Track Record.

I want to see us land some dominant DL to take over and control a game like Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, Joey Bosa, Robert Nkemdiche, Leonard Williams, Vic Beasley, Jadeveon Clowney, Aaron Donalds, Fletcher Cox, Marcell Dareus, JJ WATT, Robert Quinn, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, JPP, Brian Orakpo,

Let's look back at the last few years of national champions and the front 7's that were on those teams.

2016 Clemson
This group was actually underrated. We will see why in a few years when the rest of these guys go pro.

DL Christian Wilkins, Carlos Watkins, Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferell
LB Dorian O' Daniel, Kendall Joseph, Ben Boulware

2015 Alabama
This group was dominant entire DL will be in the league once Da'Ron Payne leaves after the 2017 season. Foster and
DL A'Shawn Robinson, Da'Ron Payne, Jarran Reed
LB: Dillon Lee, Reggie Ragland, Rueben Foster, Denzell Devall

2014 Ohio State
DL: Joey Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Michael Bennett, Noah Spence
LB: Darron Lee, Curtis Grant, Joshua Perry

2013 FSWHO
DL: Mario Edwards, Eddie Goldman, Tim Jernigan, DeMarcus Walker,
LB: Telvin Smith, Terrance Smith, Christian Jones

2012 Alabama
DL: Ed Stinson, Jesse Williams, Damion Square
LB: Xzavier Disckson, Nico Johnson, Trey Depriest, Adrian Hubbard

2011 Alabama
DL: Jesse Williams, Damion Square, Josh Chapman
LB: Courtney Upshaw, Nico Johnson, Dont'a Hightower, Jerrell Harris

Nick Fairley was extremely dominant!
DL: Nick Fairley, Zach Clayton, Antoine Carter, Nosa Eguwae
LB: Craig Stevens, Josh Bynes, Eltorro Freeman,

2009 Alabama
DL Terrance Cody, Brandon Deadrick, Lorenzo Washington,
LB: Cory Reamer, Rolondo McClain, Dont'a Hightower, Eryk Anders

2008 Florida
DL: Jermaine Cunningham, Terron Sanders, Lawrence Marsh, Carlos Dunlap,
LB: AJ Jones, Brandon Spikes, Dustin Doe,

All of this to say I love where we are and would love to see us add some nice quality DTS this 2018 cycle and 2019 cycle.

It's more Miami related, but still a good read.

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/common-link-champions/17109

we need to load up on those guys because for one DT's flame out of college at alarming rate..and their hard to find./..I know what he likes to do...but still you need guys that are ready to play the position...some guys dont take to the added weight as well. Golden recruited dl pretty well...we need to continue...Need a JUCO DT in this class imo

Advertisement
we need to load up on those guys because for one DT's flame out of college at alarming rate..and their hard to find./..I know what he likes to do...but still you need guys that are ready to play the position...some guys dont take to the added weight as well. Golden recruited dl pretty well...we need to continue...Need a JUCO DT in this class imo

Agree. We need the studs

DTs is a position we should always overload on. Too many flame outs (Forston, C Porter, L Robinson, Wyche) or headcases (Jenkins, Willis). I'd be surprised if the hit ratio is above 50% even for the best coaches .... As an aside, I really hope Ford makes it in. That kid has talent.

Dv all you want Kool isn't landing enough stud DTs imo .

He makes average players very good to elite players so we will be happy with our DT production as long as Kool is coaching at Miami.

We have one elite in this class right now we need two more just like him. Than maybe a project like Briggs. Not saying he's not good he doesn't have the size right now. Taking one last year was dumb and if DJ doesn't get moved and ford doesn't get in it's 0

Advertisement
Teams with great D lines win championships. In other news, the sky is blue.

Advertisement
DTs is a position we should always overload on. Too many flame outs (Forston, C Porter, L Robinson, Wyche) or headcases (Jenkins, Willis). I'd be surprised if the hit ratio is above 50% even for the best coaches .... As an aside, I really hope Ford makes it in. That kid has talent.

Saban brings in 2-3 every year. And every year they have at least 1-2 to attrition (draft or cut)

Saban brings in 2-3 every year. And every year they have at least 1-2 to attrition (draft or cut)

How many did they sign last year?

With how organized the staff is, and the reputation Kool has, you have to figure that we have several DT silents.

Advertisement
Back