DT Cory Johnson

The top priority this week from Johnson’s perspective was figuring out if his classes would transfer to Miami.
“The biggest thing I wanted to find out was with my classes,” Johnson said. “I wanted to see if everything was good to go with that. I am still waiting to hear about the grades aspect. They told me multiple times about doing an online class, but I am not too sure about that.

Miami coach Al Golden is working to schedule an in-home visit with Johnson this week.
“I am going to be in New York, so they told me they will come see me there and we can talk more about my classes,” Johnson said.

Sounds like grades are the issue. From 247 article.

we can only tell him how to get in but can't make him take the online classes.
And this is something Golden is learning the hard way,he could get any kid into Temple but at miami it's next to impossible to get them in,especially Dts.Losing Stuckey was a huge blow,none of these guys want to take any extra online classe when they are set to enter most schools in the SEC,KST and these other teams who load up on JCs every year.

Advertisement
-Says the visit was better than he expected, weather was beautiful, enjoyed himself
-UM told him he needs to take online classes to enroll, he doesn't want to do that at all
-Right now he's solid to Kentucky
-If things change regarding with academics with Miami, they would be even with Kentucky
-Golden and Co. plan to visit with him next week to talk about the situation
-Best part was hanging out with players and coaches bonding, his host was Jamal Carter and talked with Jethro a lot
-Rated the visit a 7 because he didn't get to do a whole lot, because he was tired, the first day he was tired from the plane ride
-Final decision Dec 18th

http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1585021

Last edited:
-Says the visit was better than he expected, weather was beautiful, enjoyed himself
-UM told him he needs to take online classes to enroll, he doesn't want to that at all
-Right now he's solid to Kentucky
-If things change regarding with academics with Miami, they would be even with Kentucky
-Golden and Co. plan to visit with him next week to talk about the situation
-Best part was hanging out with players and coaches bonding, his host was Jamal Carter and talked with Jethro a lot
-Final decision Dec 18th

http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1585021

skip the online classes and just find a way to get this kid in

Advertisement
translation, i want to be at miami but kentucky accepts laziness in the classroom

The top priority this week from Johnson’s perspective was figuring out if his classes would transfer to Miami.
“The biggest thing I wanted to find out was with my classes,” Johnson said. “I wanted to see if everything was good to go with that. I am still waiting to hear about the grades aspect. They told me multiple times about doing an online class, but I am not too sure about that.

Miami coach Al Golden is working to schedule an in-home visit with Johnson this week.
“I am going to be in New York, so they told me they will come see me there and we can talk more about my classes,” Johnson said.

Guess this and the SEC comment is you slowly backing away from your Jethro porsts. I'm not always one to defend our staff, but am always in favor of gathering a little bit of info before crapping on 'em.

Advertisement
Problem is, as I see it--and I'm not criticizing the recruit--is that ASA appears to be borderline as an academic juco. It was started privately a couple of decades ago just to offer computer classes. It has added programs, but they seem to be more along the lines of trade school programs, not really the kind of academic programs necessary to provide the first two years of a four year degree from UM. I have no doubt that the UM admissions people see that--it was obvious to me just from going to the ASA website.

This speaks very poorly of the University of Kentucky and the many other four year universities that will accept this kind of program without remedial work as worthy of credit towards a four year degree from the institution.

I hope that Cory will not take the easy way out--not a good way to approach life--and do what is necessary to matriculate at UM and get a degree from a quality institution.

For those who are truly interested, I would suggest googling ASA and determine for yourself if you consider it worthy academically of unquestioned transfer of credits applicable to a UM degree. I think it is not.

Here is a video documentary about ASA College which is his JUCO. Cory Johnson comes in at the 13 min mark.
NYCmedia - City Gridiron: Season 4: Episode 14

Those comments were made as a joke, I originally thought, but after his other comments about not wanting to take any additional classes online. Hopefully AG can get this worked out with UM admission.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I have said before, nothing we can really do here. Some of these "JUCO's are glorified ITT tech type vocational schools. They are there so that kids with no grades can play for a few years, and then try to get into some big diploma mill with no standards, like your average SEC school. Kids like this just want to play. They dont care about "quality" degrees. If he can play at Kentucky, or have to struggle to get into UM, he's going to take the easy way out 9 out of 10 times, unless they really have a strong desire to come here, or they have half a brain and went to a decent JUCO that had them on a degree track that would fit most 4 year universities.

they could at FSU or UNC

Kid doesn't want to take that online class.

From what I've read, Golden is still doing an in-home visit.

Unless Golden and CJ take that class together while Al's in-home, I don't think we've got a shot. Kid is unmotivated in the classroom (see the ASA video posted above and the quote RE: the online class), and it's as simple as that.

Sounds like he'd be ours if it wasn't for the academics, though. **** it! We need DTs and I love this team, I'll take the **** course. B or higher guaranteed!

Advertisement
This kid is all about making it to the league, and only that. I guess the risk of a career-ending injury is less with a defensive lineman, although it happened to Rusty Medearis.

This kid is all about making it to the league, and only that. I guess the risk of a career-ending injury is less with a defensive lineman, although it happened to Rusty Medearis.

Yeap,that's what he's said but does he know how miscerable he's going to be at UK losing 8-9 games a season and never playing in a bowl game.

It seems like Miami wants their D-line Juco recruits to be here for spring practice...unless Miami changes their stance on that
Cory is heading to Kentucky...It is what it is...Cory doesn't want to take the classes I understand

I think Al understands the urgency that it takes to rebuild this D-line...they are selling playing time and playing time right now..

Fck that lazy fck. If he'd rather go waste away at sorry *** Kuntucky and never even be on TV instead of taking an online class, then he's a loser.

Advertisement
Back