DT commit Jenkins is lighter on his feet

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Some Miami fans were concerned about the recruiting at the defensive tackle position prior to this class, but their worries have been eased due to the current commitments. New Jersey product Courtel Jenkins is one of the commits ‘Canes fans are excited about.

“The season’s going pretty good. We just had a tough loss, but we’ll rebound off of it this week. For me, it’s about staying healthy right now. I’ve only played ne game because of a knee sprain, but I’m good right now. I played last week,” said Jenkins.

Jenkins considered himself a complete defensive tackle before this season, but what has he improved upon since last year?

“Just being more versatile and running sideline-to-sideline. I already have a good pass rush and bull rush and I can stop the run, so basically just running sideline-to-sideline and keeping my wind up.”

The ‘Canes commit has been paying close attention to his future team this season.

“I think Miami is doing great right now. They have a lot of wins early on, especially the win against Florida and they have a big game coming up against USF so hopefully they can carry it on throughout the season.”

Miami’s defense was considered a weakness heading into the season, but as of now that is not the case.

“The defense is playing good. They have the number seven total defense and they’re stopping the run and defending the pass, which is how they won the Florida game by rushing the quarterback and forcing bad throws. They’re just producing.”

Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin have a vision for how they will use Jenkins.

“When I get down there, they expect me to jump right in and get on the 1-technique and beat the center a little bit to stop the run and carve up some holes.”

Jenkins has devoted to make sure he’s in the best shape he can possibly be in, which has yielded positive results.

“I’m weighing 300-pounds right now because I lost weight. From my transfer (in March) to now, I’ve lost 30 pounds. Before I transferred, my goal was to get down to 285-290, but when I committed to Miami they didn’t want me to lose too much weight. My coach in high school wanted me around 290 too, but I can make both sides happy at 300. I’ll put on some weight in muscle in the offseason and get up to like 310 and get here nice and healthy.”

**Jenkins says that Pittsburgh, Michigan State, and Florida are still recruiting him.

Advertisement
Im telling you this kid will be a stud he just has to gain the "good weight" not just fat and he will be a beast here

Im telling you this kid will be a stud he just has to gain the "good weight" not just fat and he will be a beast here

As long as he maintains where he's at now, I think it's huge that he only has to add good weight, as opposed to needing to lose weight and then add good weight.

Would love to see this kid develop into Curtis Porter some day. Looking forward to seeing his highlights after the season.

Advertisement

As long as he maintains where he's at now, I think it's huge that he only has to add good weight, as opposed to needing to lose weight and then add good weight.

That's what im saying and doing that now instead of his freshman year shows dedication this kid is a STEAL

He transferred from a smaller school to a bigger school that will be facing tougher competition IIRC. Will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Hope we get those juco guys in... Kids like these need that redshirt year to help get their body and strength needed for the position

Hopefully turns into another great DT for us in a couple years

Advertisement
Hope we get those juco guys in... Kids like these need that redshirt year to help get their body and strength needed for the position

Hopefully turns into another great DT for us in a couple years

Yep. We have to patchwork the NT spot for a few years until Valentine and Jenkins are ready.

This kid has always had a great mind set and is a true cane. Can't wait to get him down here.

Yes sir, that is it: "beat the center a little bit" Nothing better for a denfense than having a center calling for help from the guards. Suddenly LBs are smashing RBs for losses, DEs are pounding QBs back into high school, and DBs are trying to score TDs.

This is a good kid to have coming into the 2014 class. He can redshirt, learn the program, get to the appropriate weight and contribute.

Advertisement
We know all too well what can happen when a DT is kicking the **** out of a center all afternoon. (Dominique Easley) The whole offense shuts down. This kid definitely shirts. Would love for Valentine to shirt but unless King/Moore make that leap I dont think that can happen. (Or unless we get Pelon) Man, we need another JUCO DT or a waiver wire special. We need to find a way to swing CJohnson and CPelon.

Would love to see this kid develop into Curtis Porter some day. Looking forward to seeing his highlights after the season.

I would as well, hopefully he has some time to redshirt and mature physically and add some good weight back onto his frame. I was happy to hear he lost 30 pounds, sounds like a hard worker.

Advertisement
as much as people hate Florida, they produce some pretty beastly Dlinemen, so I'm glad to see they're interested

Advertisement
Back