DT Calijah Kancey Will Make Decision Before The Season, Still Waits On Miami Offer

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Defensive line is one of the biggest needs of the 2019 recruiting class. With only three players currently committed, we could see the board expand in the near future with some more offers. One player to keep an eye on is Calijah Kancey. Miami has been watching the 6’1’’ 267 pound defensive tackle through the Spring evaluation period.

“Coach Manny Diaz visited my spring practice and the Canes have been telling me that I’m a good player and they like what they see,” said Kancey.

Miami is not ready to pull the trigger with an offer just yet.

“I was told that the new defensive line coach will have to evaluate me more.”

There is one thing we do know, Kancey has love for the hometown team.

“I mean I live here in Miami, why wouldn't I want to play for my hometown... and it would be easier for my family to watch me play.”

Everybody dreams of an offer from the hometown team, why would Kancey be any different.

“That will mean a lot to me.”

Kancey is pretty clear on what he wants from a school.

“A school where I fit the defense perfect and a coaching staff that will love me.”

Kancey will take an official visit to Pitt on June 15th through 17th. He was also on campus Saturday for the OL/DL camp. As for Paradise Camp, nothing is certain yet, but Kancey is always happy to have an opportunity to show off his skills.

“If the coaches need to see me tear it up again it’s no problem.”

If Miami wants to make a move, an offer will have to come soon. Kancey will be making a decision shortly.

“Before the season starts, so I’ll say like late July early August”

Advertisement
If we offer, he'll commit.

There's no reason why a beast like him shouldn't be in this class.

One of the best interior pass rushers in Dade.

Advertisement
Yeah, thought I saw someone report that Munoz outplayed him at the camp

They literally lined up right next to each other and Munoz outperformed him 95% of the camp. Hence why he got his offer on the spot. For the record, Munoz is a bigger kid too, with better feet. Not saying Kancey isn't good enough, because his film certainly says so, but how many guys can they take, especially with Daxon on board, and the love for Ingraham that they have?

What would we think of a DT class of Daxon, Ingraham, Munoz, Kancey? Maybe not an elite DT in the group like Nesta but a bunch of guys with high upside and a good mix of size/speed. Or do we only take 3? Likely leaving Kancey out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
remember we got tweeners thatt can be de/dt so numbers can be skewed

We need to be careful taking a lot of tweeners as interior dlinemen. That is a position we need war daddy types not kids that will take 3-4 years to develop.

Go Canes

Buford is supposedly rated higher on the staff's board given Simpson's familiarity with him. It was Ivins who said that Munoz outplayed Kancey.

The 3* 2019 DT from Buford is Jalar Holley, he also has a UM offer although it is not commitable yet otherwise he would have done it by now.

Go Canes

Last edited:
What would we think of a DT class of Daxon, Ingraham, Munoz, Kancey? Maybe not an elite DT in the group like Nesta but a bunch of guys with high upside and a good mix of size/speed. Or do we only take 3? Likely leaving Kancey out.
How about a class of Daxon, Ingraham, Muñoz, Ben Smiley & Jalar Jolley or Kancey

Advertisement
Back