Drops by player

FRCane

Sophomore
I know this has been discussed several times, but found this interesting.

Porter posted on twitter the number of dropped balls by each player and how no P5 school is dropping the ball at a higher rate.

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2
Walton, Yearby, Herndon, Williams 1

Thats a lot of potential first downs, points and explosive plays right there.

While I haven't been a huge fan of the play calling at times, if you have this many drops, an oline that can't protect, and a QB that has a propensity to hold on to the ball too long, its not going to matter who's calling plays or what they're calling.

Advertisement

Porter posted on twitter the number of dropped balls by each player and how no P5 school is dropping the ball at a higher rate.

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

While I haven't been a huge fan of the play calling at times, if you have this many drops, an oline that can't protect, and a QB that has a propensity to hold on to the ball too long, its not going to matter who's calling plays or what they're calling.

Dobard only got like two passes thrown to him all year.

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

Thanks for posting, Matt.

Advertisement

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

now go back and count all of Kaaya misses to wide open wrs for tds. He would rather look pretty with a back shoulder throw than just making the ugly throw count

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

Some of it is also due to the location of throws in relation to the player and their timing ....

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

Some of it is also due to the location of throws in relation to the player and their timing ....

Sadly a lot of these hit the receiver right in the hands even in stride. If you look closely, most of our receivers. Struggle to catch the ball with their hands and instead try to body the catch. Also we have an issue with guys trying to turn up field before they even have the ball secured (njoku in particular)

Advertisement
AND... Njoku had a sure TD last game when they were down 3-0 early if he doesn't trip! Instead the Canes go backward with their penalties in the red zone. Miami seems a like their a little snakebit this year.

They showed the stat during the Virginia Tech game. Miami receivers have dropped over 9% of their total targets. I believe the average is somewhere between 2-3% for the rest of the nation. It's not the only reason the offense flounders but if you couple that with an offensive line that struggles to protect and a penchant for drive killing penalties, there's a pretty good reason this offense is near the bottom of the nation in third down% AGAIN.

Also, drops are when the ball hits a receiver in the hands, chest or face. They don't count diving for overthrown balls or attempted miracle catches as drops.

Last edited:
Advertisement
AND... Njoku had a sure TD last game when they were down 3-0 early if he doesn't trip! Instead the Canes go backward with their penalties in the red zone. Miami seems a like their a little snakebit this year.

Not snakebit, just ******.

Advertisement
I'd be curious to see how many of these are bona fide drops by the receiver and how many are Kaaya's fastballs that get air-mailed and just barely brush the tips of the receivers' hands as they lay out to make a play.

I'd be curious to see how many of these are bona fide drops by the receiver and how many are Kaaya's fastballs that get air-mailed and just barely brush the tips of the receivers' hands as they lay out to make a play.

Probably only 1, Coley's inside the 5 near the sideline against FSU. Richards had 2 tough drops in the rain against UNC but they should have been caught. Njoku's were all easy drops, as were Dobard's.

Richards 5
Coley 4
Njoku 3
Berrios/Dobard 2

now go back and count all of Kaaya misses to wide open wrs for tds. He would rather look pretty with a back shoulder throw than just making the ugly throw count

Does Kayaa lead the nation in missed receivers? Because our receivers most certainly lead the nation in drops. And our OL leads the nation in looking like a bunch of lost ducklings.

Advertisement
Back