2024 Drelon Miller

Couple quick thoughts
  • While Im in general agreement that Trader may make a better DB lets not discount that he is in fact a top 50 player overall as a WR. I think there are some disappointed that he isnt a insane blazer and while doing that they ignore some elite qualities.
    • Kid has very good speed and the type of speed where he is a threat at all times. It may not be game changing but its still very good and he looks every bit as fast as say Miller
    • His ball skills and ability to make contested catches is elite
    • He shows up on the biggest stages
  • Barney.... watch this kid's film. Reminds me slightly of Jordan Addison in the way he moves. Im far from a homer but Im not kidding when I say he is one of those kids that leaves SFLA and we end up talking about how in the world we let him go in about 4 years. I know posters overdo it on here with that but I think he is one of those guys
    • In his junior tape his speed and burst really are showcased when he is in the wild cat.
    • Multiple plays where his QB ***** up and either throws it late or short. If the throw is right he is off to the races. He still makes the play but is robbed of what could have been
Oh I definitely agree on Trader. I didn't mean to downplay his ability at WR. I personally believe he's a top talent at both WR and DB. I just wanted to point out the fact that his actual position is still in question and playing WR is not a guarantee.

And to be fair, I haven't watched anything on Barney so I can't give my opinion on him. I will watch his film if and when he decides to commit(or if Coach Hayes does his breakdown film on him before he decides).

Advertisement
So, some people are worried about his speed when he is playing WR but will be fine with that same speed if he is playing CB? Lol
I don’t think people are worried about his speed, just when you see a 6’1 SFLA WR who started the cycle as the #11 overall player it’s easy to have the stereotypical expectations that he will be an open field terror and a blazer. He is plenty fast though.

A&M wasn’t even close to as bad as we were on offense. Achane had 1100 rushing yards and was drafted. They had 2 kids go over 600 yards receiving. Miami had zero.

And it’s the perception. Right or wrong, Mario has a perception for not developing offensive players into having big statistical seasons and being drafted highly. Jimbo has coached multiple first-round picks on offense. Perception is everything. And also if you want to talk facts, our offense was much worse, even though theirs was awful. Ours was just the worst in the history of the school.
Points per games was worse

Advertisement
Incorrect.

Vs FBS competition, A&M averaged 22.0 PPG

Miami averaged 19.4 PPG.

A&M was 97th in the country in scoring offense, Miami was 113th.
Well we had a common opponent in App that they scored less again so maybe we shouldn’t just use FBS. Either way we were both hot garbage.

Cannot upvote this enough. This is what an elite QB recruit can get you. And yet people get all ****y when you dare question why Judd is our QB1 after taking another average prospect in Emory as QB1 last cycle.

And no, I’m not crapping on Emory the football player, I’m merely talking as a prospect and what the perception is. It would be equally as foolish to crown him after playing against walk-ons in a Spring game as it would be to cast him aside merely because of his ranking.

But for recruiting purposes and trying to attract top tier, upper echelon WRs that this program so desperately needs, being that no one has seen Emory actually play, that is the perception - Mario can’t close on/maximize the potential of elite QBs. I was hoping this cycle (and our NIL) would erase that stigmatism this time around. It appears we are resting on our laurels a bit and banking on the portal, or another developmental high school arm.

Completely agree. If a rival only landed one mid-3* QB in back-to-back years, they'd be dismissed as an unserious program and countless posters would be flooding Nole Tears or Gator Tears gloating with schadenfreude at their expense. Maybe it's the nature of fandom for certain people, but some of those same folks look at our situation and instead say things like trust the evals, in [insert coach's name here] we trust, or stars don't matter when they don't suit my argument. The same exact types of retorts they'd mock rival fans for expressing.

I don't think some posters realize how anemic our QB recruiting looks from '23-'24 compared to the top programs we're trying to eventually compete against. Some have good faith arguments vouching for the portal and I will wholeheartedly support any Maalik Murphy to Miami movement if he leaves Texas at some point, but others who were dismissing the importance of QB recruiting entirely would have been the first ones sarcastically saying "but I thought Mario couldn't recruit QB's" if we had landed Noland. The spin narratives from some in the aftermath of that recruiting loss have been utterly absurd.

This level of QB recruiting obviously has an adverse domino effect on trying to land those top-tier, upper echelon WR's we haven't been landing. I hope we flip a premier QB1 that gets the attention of Smith and Wingo as much as I hope for anything else in this class, including a monstrous DL haul. We need a QB1 in this class and a stud from the portal, not one or the other, IMO.

Advertisement
I agree... Trader and Chance would be a great haul. But for it to be an ELITE haul, we would need at least 1 more TOP wr in this class. Especially since most ppl here feels like Trader could possibly end up playing DB.
I think it probably likely be Chance, Trader, McCoy and Barney. Was hoping on Miller but Cribby said no. And Staley is probably Tennessee. Wingo, wild card. No feeling on him. Rather not speak about that other man from Chaminade

Advertisement
Completely agree. If a rival only landed one mid-3* QB in back-to-back years, they'd be dismissed as an unserious program and countless posters would be flooding Nole Tears or Gator Tears gloating with schadenfreude at their expense. Maybe it's the nature of fandom for certain people, but some of those same folks look at our situation and instead say things like trust the evals, in [insert coach's name here] we trust, or stars don't matter when they don't suit my argument. The same exact types of retorts they'd mock rival fans for expressing.

I don't think some posters realize how anemic our QB recruiting looks from '23-'24 compared to the top programs we're trying to eventually compete against. Some have good faith arguments vouching for the portal and I will wholeheartedly support any Maalik Murphy to Miami movement if he leaves Texas at some point, but others who were dismissing the importance of QB recruiting entirely would have been the first ones sarcastically saying "but I thought Mario couldn't recruit QB's" if we had landed Noland. The spin narratives from some in the aftermath of that recruiting loss have been utterly absurd.

This level of QB recruiting obviously has an adverse domino effect on trying to land those top-tier, upper echelon WR's we haven't been landing. I hope we flip a premier QB1 that gets the attention of Smith and Wingo as much as I hope for anything else in this class, including a monstrous DL haul. We need a QB1 in this class and a stud from the portal, not one or the other, IMO.
My biggest thing is that if you strike out one year on a top QB, then fine grab an upside/developmental kid and then focus on the next year. You CANNOT in this day and age miss out two years in a row on recruiting a QB1 type and expect to be a serious contender. Sure the portal being what it is can help but banking on getting a bonafide top player isn't a great thing to have to count on. Not to mention how easy it becomes to negative recruit other offensive players. Really hope that we are working someone behind the scenes to get us our QB1.

My biggest thing is that if you strike out one year on a top QB, then fine grab an upside/developmental kid and then focus on the next year. You CANNOT in this day and age miss out two years in a row on recruiting a QB1 type and expect to be a serious contender. Sure the portal being what it is can help but banking on getting a bonafide top player isn't a great thing to have to count on. Not to mention how easy it becomes to negative recruit other offensive players. Really hope that we are working someone behind the scenes to get us our QB1.

We need to recruit highly ranked QBs but I really don’t see how you can make this post when you literally just watched a postal worker win back to back national championships.

I heard from my most trusted source we have traction with several big name QB's.

Advertisement
We need to recruit highly ranked QBs but I really don’t see how you can make this post when you literally just watched a postal worker win back to back national championships.
True. Then we need to recruit like them at the other positions… which we aren’t, either

Because you don't use the exception to the rule as the rule. UGA has 5* talent two deep at every other position on the roster. We don't have that luxury. Outside of UGA these last two years, every championship winning team since at least the start of this millenium has won with a 4* blue chip QB recruit if I'm not mistaken.

The foundation of UGA's squad the last two years when they had Stetson Bennett starting was based on this:

2019 (2nd overall class with 9 players in the Top 100) - 5 5*'s, 16 4*'s, 3 3*'s
2020 (1st overall class with 11 players in the Top 100) - 4 5*'s, 15 4*'s, 6 3*'s

Nine 5* commits in a two-year span, four of whom became 1st-round picks. They signed fewer 3* commits from 2019-2020 than we currently have committed in our 2024 class. If you're recruiting at the level of God mode everywhere else, then you can win it all with an overachiever who far exceeded expectations at QB for a myriad of reasons.

And even a defense as vaunted as UGA's gave up 40+ points in the 2021 SEC Title Game when Bama had Bryce Young with Williams/Metchie at WR and 40+ in the 2022 CFB semifinal when OSU had Stroud with Harrison Jr./Egbuka at WR. That's how important it is to land elite QB's and WR's, which is why UGA threw the bag at #1 overall recruit Dylan Raiola and will have three former blue-chip QB recruits fighting to replace Bennett this summer.

Why aren't they devoting their vast resources elsewhere after they won so much with Bennett at QB? Because they saw what happened when their #1 defense faced elite QB's and WR's, so they're trying to prolong their run and turn it into a dynasty.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back