DREAMer Aid @ The U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Why would I pay for my kids to go to the University of Miami, if other kids get to go for free simply because they're DREAMERS?

I get that Julio Frenk is trying to do the nice thing, and I get that since he is Mexican himself he has a special place in his heart for Mexican immigrants, and so it's hard to blame him.

But this isn't fair to those of us who paid tuition, and it isn't fair to those American citizens who are thinking about sending their kids to UM. In fact, it's discriminatory.

I think it's a bad idea.

Days after asking to crowdfund the IPF upgrades......I'm all for giving immigrants who are already here rights but these handouts are ******* stupid.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/29/university-of-miami-offers-substantial-financial-aid-packages-to-dreamers-across-florida/

I know politics will creep in just because of the story's slant, but just think if there is a preferred walk-on in any sport who may qualify and be attracted to Miami because of it. Another tool in the box for our coaches?

Soooo, let's see.

You post an article from Glenn Beck's website, and then say that politics will "creep in"?

$365,000 in federal funding (source: National Science Foundation)? Wow, I guess that isn't for research or anything...

32 private colleges and universities in Florida that share $89 million from the Florida Resident Access Grant? OK, let me see if I can understand this...the right wing wants "school vouchers" to go to private schools at the secondary level, but now it's a bad thing at the university level?

And Pell Grants? (In my Allen Iverson voice) We're talking about PELL GRANTS? Clearly, if UM gives full-rides to DREAMers, they won't be needing Pell Grants (unless they are 1980s era football players, bad joke, I know).

Typical right-wing nonsense...if you get a dime of government funding, even though it has nothing to do with the situation at hand, then the right wing will object if you do anything that does not follow the right-wing talking points.

Lovely.

I'm quite certain that UM has done the math and realizes that there will not be many full-rides given out, with all of the requirements. We're fine when "private school" means that we don't have to disclose every detail of football player discipline, but when it comes to politics, the government should control private schools. Whatever.

Advertisement
Some of you guys have a backwards way of thinking. It's a brilliant idea; you want to have as many educated/intelligent people in America as possible. That's good for the country in the long run.

Smarter people = smarter ideas

Smarter ideas = advancement of human kind

Who knows, the cure for cancer might be locked in one of those kids minds. Or, it could be the some kind of new alternative renewable fuel resource that could lead to explosive GDP growth or hundreds of thousands of jobs

Many of you guys think too small

Last edited:
What exactly constitutes "right wing"? So sick of people being stereotyped. Now you know why Hillsdale College continues to reject federal government funding! What do school vouchers have to do with "right wing"?? School vouchers basically provide the means to send your children to whatever school you wish since many of the public schools are so fugged up with "left wing" (oh wait, what does that mean?) policies where children can't possibly get a good education due to "liberal" policies (whatever that means). LMAO

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/29/university-of-miami-offers-substantial-financial-aid-packages-to-dreamers-across-florida/

I know politics will creep in just because of the story's slant, but just think if there is a preferred walk-on in any sport who may qualify and be attracted to Miami because of it. Another tool in the box for our coaches?

Soooo, let's see.

You post an article from Glenn Beck's website, and then say that politics will "creep in"?

$365,000 in federal funding (source: National Science Foundation)? Wow, I guess that isn't for research or anything...

32 private colleges and universities in Florida that share $89 million from the Florida Resident Access Grant? OK, let me see if I can understand this...the right wing wants "school vouchers" to go to private schools at the secondary level, but now it's a bad thing at the university level?

And Pell Grants? (In my Allen Iverson voice) We're talking about PELL GRANTS? Clearly, if UM gives full-rides to DREAMers, they won't be needing Pell Grants (unless they are 1980s era football players, bad joke, I know).

Typical right-wing nonsense...if you get a dime of government funding, even though it has nothing to do with the situation at hand, then the right wing will object if you do anything that does not follow the right-wing talking points.

Lovely.

I'm quite certain that UM has done the math and realizes that there will not be many full-rides given out, with all of the requirements. We're fine when "private school" means that we don't have to disclose every detail of football player discipline, but when it comes to politics, the government should control private schools. Whatever.

Why would I pay for my kids to go to the University of Miami, if other kids get to go for free simply because they're DREAMERS?

I get that Julio Frenk is trying to do the nice thing, and I get that since he is Mexican himself he has a special place in his heart for Mexican immigrants, and so it's hard to blame him.

But this isn't fair to those of us who paid tuition, and it isn't fair to those American citizens who are thinking about sending their kids to UM. In fact, it's discriminatory.

I think it's a bad idea.

Do you really want to talk about fair? Unless Natives are given back their land or descendants of slaves are given reparations (I can go on), don't bring up fair.

Advertisement
Politics will creep in eh?

OP bleaches his *******

Tad Footeball had such hopes...Then you have to go Clorox it...

How many times do I have to hear about Miami's Scholly disadvantages in the non-headcount sports and than this drops in and nobody sees any potential.

I dont hate kids who grew up in this country because their parents broke the law.If they have been excellent students ,obeyed the law there should be selective amnesty just to them -not their parents or other older relatives who knowingly violated immigration laws. But Immigration should improve the country not burden it. Thats not what happened under Bush and Obama.

I think it's a bad idea.

Do you really want to talk about fair? Unless Natives are given back their land or descendants of slaves are given reparations (I can go on), don't bring up fair.

Too deep for me, man.

I'm just talking about me personally.... why should I be cool with paying full price for something that's being given away for free to someone else?

Some of you guys have a backwards way of thinking. It's a brilliant idea; you want to have as many educated/intelligent people in America as possible. That's good for the country in the long run.

Smarter people = smarter ideas

Smarter ideas = advancement of human kind

Who knows, the cure for cancer might be locked in one of those kids minds. Or, it could be the some kind of new alternative renewable fuel resource that could lead to explosive GDP growth or hundreds of thousands of jobs

Many of you guys think too small

I agree with that. But what does any of it have to do with Julio Frenk giving free college to these kids and not to mine, just because I happen to be a citizen?

Advertisement
This is a stupid thread.

It was clearly posted to elicit political responses.

And LOL at anyone raising **** about what would be considered a "liberal" program at any university. No matter your political affiliation, universities are disproportionately left leaning as compared to the general population, so this should be no surprise.

Just lock this thread and take this **** to the WEZ.

Has nothing to do with football, not even close

Advertisement
White priveledge is real, and you people need to get with the times. Your confederate statues are coming down1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back