Draft picks by state

Do we dare breakdown the star rankings of those 37 draft picks?

I did a quick look at the first two rounds and the following players were from Florida
Patrick Surtain
Alex Leatherwood
Greg Newsome
Gregory Rousseau
Tyson Campbell
Elijah Moore
Richie Grant
Asante Samuel
Tutu Atwell

We only had one player but could have easily gotten two more in Moore and Atwell. We were in on Surtain, Leatherwood, Campbell and Samuel. Newsome was IMG so I don't think we even took a look at him. Grant was an under the radar player.

Just so we can beat a dead horse again we took Pope, Wiggins, Hightower and Ezzard over Moore and Atwell

Advertisement
A458590E-301A-46AC-A372-6ED3B185DBEC.jpeg
A8286EAE-2DF5-4A97-A30F-931575B631BD.jpeg

2DD1D862-D373-45E1-86A9-3548AD708DDC.jpeg

We don't have many JAGs starting or second string any more. But a balanced and honest assessment of our team right now would be that we have:
* Very few 1-3 round guys
* Several 4-7 round guys
* Several UFAs that will make camps

So while we now have players across the team that are good enough to beat anyone in the ACC not named Clemson, we just have too many guys in those second and third buckets to challenge the top programs. And many if not most of those kids who do go in the Top 1-3 rounds only give us one good season.

Hopefully the 2021 class keeps moving us in the right direction. But we are not deep, and we cannot afford to have any drop-off in this 2022 class. And our coaches need to start winning all the games we should win, including UNC.

Advertisement
How many of those 37 played for the U ?
Hopefully more and more will come.

1. Greg Rousseau

That’s the sad part. Smh. And this is not some anomaly; last year I believe the state of Florida produced like 22 draftees, and we barely accounted for two (Shaq, and Jonathan).

I’m not sure what to make of it; it’s not like we ain’t recruiting the state, but for whatever reason, the results ain’t coming w/ it.

Glaring initial point jumps from this datum:

Alabama has actually significantly underperformed as a team, while Clemson has significantly overperformed as a team.

What would be an interesting paired data set (obviously in future years): of this 5yr draft period, what were the average nfl career lengths?

Again, assembling the best team is much better long term success plan than chasing these individual "superstars".

Actually bro, U’re reading that wrong:

This data is showing that Bama is avg. 10+ players drafted, per year. If a starting lineup is composed of 22 players, and Bama’s starting line up is usually made of 65% Jr’s & Sr’s, while the other 35% is made up of under classmen, that means they are getting their upper classmen drafted to the NFL at about an 77% success ratio. That’s pretty phenomenal.

Advertisement
Actually bro, U’re reading that wrong:

This data is showing that Bama is avg. 10+ players drafted, per year. If a starting lineup is composed of 22 players, and Bama’s starting line up is usually made of 65% Jr’s & Sr’s, while the other 35% is made up of under classmen, that means they are getting their upper classmen drafted to the NFL at about an 77% success ratio. That’s pretty phenomenal.
Let me explain...

IF NFL draft is a measure of "player" talent...

Bama had almost double Clemson's "5yr pool".

Given that gap (you coykd almost argue OSU too), one would expect Bama to have gone undefeated over the time period. OSU is another one that, based on the methodology (don't make me right), who underperformed as well.

Do we dare breakdown the star rankings of those 37 draft picks?

I did a quick look at the first two rounds and the following players were from Florida
Patrick Surtain
Alex Leatherwood
Greg Newsome
Gregory Rousseau
Tyson Campbell
Elijah Moore
Richie Grant
Asante Samuel
Tutu Atwell

We only had one player but could have easily gotten two more in Moore and Atwell. We were in on Surtain, Leatherwood, Campbell and Samuel. Newsome was IMG so I don't think we even took a look at him. Grant was an under the radar player.

Just so we can beat a dead horse again we took Pope, Wiggins, Hightower and Ezzard over Moore and Atwell
Atwell wasn’t a WR in high school nor at camps so he was a shot in the dark. For every Tutu Atwell there’s 3 Denard Phillips. The one we should’ve had all day was Elijah and we were recruiting IMG guys during that time too so someone had to have said something about Greg Newsome.

Advertisement
1. Greg Rousseau

That’s the sad part. Smh. And this is not some anomaly; last year I believe the state of Florida produced like 22 draftees, and we barely accounted for two (Shaq, and Jonathan).

I’m not sure what to make of it; it’s not like we ain’t recruiting the state, but for whatever reason, the results ain’t coming w/ it.
Shouldn't surprise anyone. We have had garbage coaches for 20 years. And our facilities were crap up until a few years ago. This school did not and has not prioritized football like other schools have, and our recruiting reflects that.

Advertisement
So we are showing this yearly to continually gloat about us not getting them. So is this a florida thing or UM thing cause I see this post every year after the draft. So we rooting for the Canes or for Florida HS football players?
We are rooting for the top-ranked FL high school players to become Canes.

So we are showing this yearly to continually gloat about us not getting them. So is this a florida thing or UM thing cause I see this post every year after the draft. So we rooting for the Canes or for Florida HS football players?
Oh and it's not annual, it's bi-annual; we grieve after national signing day too.

1. Greg Rousseau

Wanderlust can be difficult to overcome. That is probably a bigger factor (not only) than most realize.

Advertisement
Back