Dr Frenk's Latest Message

I like Stavridis as a person, I just don’t know what makes him qualified to be a major university president. I’m not saying he’s not it, I’m just saying I don’t know what he has in his background that would make him a homerun hire.

I imagine what we need, number one is someone that can generate mega donations like Shalala or better, and continue improving our academic standing and reputation.

I would also prefer somebody that had input, or at least to set the tone for a high bar for the athletic department. That’s not essential in the big scheme of things. I also would like someone that would immediately fire our AD (LOL), and do a nationwide search. But all that’s really in the hand of about four or five people in the BOT.
Here are the big things for me.

- Commanding a carrier group
- Supreme Allied Commander Europe - #2 at NATO
- Dean of Tufts Law School

It's a nice combination of experience from practical to academic.

Advertisement

I really don’t know that much about him. But now I know about 1000% more than I did about five minutes ago. The only thing I was somewhat familiar with was his military standing and reputation.

I’m going to be honest, I don’t know if he’s going to be widely accepted by the faculty or academic types, based on what I’m seeing. I hate to deal in stereotypes, but Frenk, as much as he’s criticized, has the type of background that is generally better accepted.

I’m going to be honest, I don’t know if he’s going to be widely accepted by the faculty or academic types, based on what I’m seeing. I hate to deal in stereotypes, but Frenk, as much as he’s criticized, has the type of background that is generally better accepted.
Pushovers often fit in very nicely. But what do they accomplish?

Advertisement
Pushovers often fit in very nicely. But what do they accomplish?

Yeah I’m not talking about personality, I’m just talking about his career track. I was saying that Frenk had the type of career track that they like. All academic, ivy league, as well as some other things that I don’t want to get into here.

Our Canes will return to greatness when the BoT becomes great themselves in regards to these key questions:

Unfortunately there is nothing to "return" to, as Miami's high-level success was two decades ago (and beyond)—where the program had the natural ability (due to State Of Miami-level talent) to overcome said limitations.

All these years later, college football is big business and programs need big time dollars to succeed.

These local 5-Star kids aren't bailing the tri-city area for the **** of it—they are being heavily recruited by programs like Georgia, Alabama, etc.—all of which are dumping millions upon millions of dollars into recruiting SPECIFICALLY to lure these kids away.

I wrote a piece 18 months ago regarding Georgia's $200M investment into athletics—the majority of it coming from alumni; including a Magill Society alum club—formed in 2015 and responsible for over $121M in donations (a MINIMUM donation of $25,000 annually—with 1,100 new members in 2018, alone.)

Bulldogs fans are LINING UP to write checks—that cash, the reason football is the lifesblood of the university, the reason Jere Morehead is their president, Josh Brooks their athletic director (replacing longtime AD Greg McGarity) and the reason Kirby Smart and staff are splitting $13,000,000 annual in coaching salaries.

Miami is finally paying the price for being a small private school with a small alumni base and a fan base made up of non-alum who don't feel convicted enough to write big checks to a university they didn't attend (sans a local guy like A-Rod.)

The rest of these programs are playing chess; Miami is playing a broken down version of Chutes And Ladders, missing half the pieces.

Yeah I’m not talking about personality, I’m just talking about his career track. I was saying that Frenk had the type of career track that they like. All academic, ivy league, as well as some other things that I don’t want to get into here.
Thats why his Tufts experience qualifies him. Having an administrator with diverse experience is a benefit. Hopefully some of the BOT understands that.

Advertisement
Unfortunately there is nothing to "return" to, as Miami's high-level success was two decades ago (and beyond)—where the program had the natural ability (due to State Of Miami-level talent) to overcome said limitations.

All these years later, college football is big business and programs need big time dollars to succeed.

These local 5-Star kids aren't bailing the tri-city area for the **** of it—they are being heavily recruited by programs like Georgia, Alabama, etc.—all of which are dumping millions upon millions of dollars into recruiting SPECIFICALLY to lure these kids away.

I wrote a piece 18 months ago regarding Georgia's $200M investment into athletics—the majority of it coming from alumni; including a Magill Society alum club—formed in 2015 and responsible for over $121M in donations (a MINIMUM donation of $25,000 annually—with 1,100 new members in 2018, alone.)

Bulldogs fans are LINING UP to write checks—that cash, the reason football is the lifesblood of the university, the reason Jere Morehead is their president, Josh Brooks their athletic director (replacing longtime AD Greg McGarity) and the reason Kirby Smart and staff are splitting $13,000,000 annual in coaching salaries.

Miami is finally paying the price for being a small private school with a small alumni base and a fan base made up of non-alum who don't feel convicted enough to write big checks to a university they didn't attend (sans a local guy like A-Rod.)

The rest of these programs are playing chess; Miami is playing a broken down version of Chutes And Ladders, missing half the pieces.

Anybody that has any amount of insight realizes that’s this is one of the major issues we are up against. The question is what to do.

We haven’t helped ourselves with some of our hires or hiring practices, but that’s only part of the problem.

As an alum, I contribute, but my coffers don’t have enough money to fix what ails this program. I don’t have several hundred million dollars laying around.

Clearly we need to find someway to get this money, the question is how? I’ve said this before on the site, we have people here that literally complain about $20 parking. If those are your demographics, you’ll never get there. So, what can be done?

I was fine with it then, I'd be fine with it now.

I would imagine someone would need to figure out which BOT members had issues with Stavridis then, or even if there were any issues, and/or what needs to happen this time around to make him a consensus pick. We may not have a ton of love for certain things that Foote did or certain things that Shalala did, but I think that both were fairly well-acclaimed choices, from a leadership standpoint. Frenk was strong on the academic side, and completely bereft on the leadership side. Maybe the BOT sees Stavridis as the opposite of that. Not completely sure what swung the decision, but I've heard from several people in the know that at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL (deans, professors, key employees) that the consensus was that Frenk was a swing-and-a-miss within the first year or two.

It sucks that the real decision-makers (BOT) really have very little to do with interacting with the President on a daily and operational level. I'd love to see a smaller BOT with more faculty reps, student reps, athletic reps, and employee reps. I realize that may sound a bit idealistic, but we need some way to hear those voices, and independently-wealthy/independently-successful BOT members are simply not getting the job done.
i didn't meet a single employee/professor that respects frenk when i was working and teaching at um. the senior administrators that i worked would give a patronizing eye roll whenever something he wanted done was brought up. hard to give two ***** about a leader that spends as much of his time as far away from campus as possible.

Advertisement
i didn't meet a single employee/professor that respects frenk when i was working and teaching at um. the senior administrators that i worked would give a patronizing eye roll whenever something he wanted done was brought up. hard to give two ***** about a leader that spends as much of his time as far away from campus as possible.

So aloof and distant would be a good description?

To me, he just doesn’t seem like he would be that good of a fundraiser. And I sense low energy in him. This is all from a distance anyway. Just surface observations.

- Also EUCOM/CC (dual hat job with SACEUR role)
- SOUTHCOM/CC
- Surface Warfare Officer... black shoe Navy guy...impressive he took Enterprise CSG/CC role

I think he has a PhD... probably in polisci, intl relations, world affairs, etc... dont remember if "honorary" or not...

He's also a published author, wrote a "future war" book...

Academic betas will never accept him, but who cares. Just work with the key stakeholders and he can beat (politely of course) the rest into submission. One thing for sure is he will not be shy to make a decision...

One thing a knock: he isnt a political insider type. Say what we want about Foote and Shalala... those two are political operatives... amd know how to get US Govt $$$$. I suppose Stavridis cod get some Naval Institute or Navy Research dollars for Rosentiel... but.... I dunno if he is built for fundraising...i think he is part of Blackrock or Carlisle or some international biz group.. so maybe they would pony up $$$ flr Herbert...

Im a believer, can you do worse than the last two+?

Last edited:
So aloof and distant would be a good description?

To me, he just doesn’t seem like he would be that good of a fundraiser. And I sense low energy in him. This is all from a distance anyway. Just surface observations.
no definitely not aloof. the guy is incredibly intelligent and observant. more like the day to day of being the president doesn't interest him. definitely low energy and incredibly uninspiring though. he has the charisma of a wet sock.

Advertisement
...definitely low energy and incredibly uninspiring though. he has the charisma of a wet sock.

This part seemed obvious to me. I’ve only seen him a few times at the games, and to be honest I really couldn’t get a read of him from that. I have not seen him on campus because I’m not on campus a lot.

Thanks for the response. You don’t have his impressive resume without being intelligent, but there’s lots of intelligent people in this world. I think university president requires a very specific skill set in addition to intelligence, which he obviously either does not possess, or is not willing to exercise.

But it’s it’s good to hear from somebody that either has contact with him, or is familiar with people that do on a regular basis.

Kirby Hocutt was the Jon Richt of Athletic Directors.
Considering that he made quality hires at TTU in multiple revenue sports, odds are he wasn't even close to incompetent. From my experiences with the guy, he was an up and comer that got to Miami and realized that he was an AWFUL cultural fit. People forget that he was sounding the alarm about fundraising and the like the MOMENT he got here. He brought in a fresh mindset, a lot of the marketing hires that led to Miami upgrading in those areas happened under him. That said, Miami wasn't his cup of tea, and it sure as **** wasn't working for his family.

no definitely not aloof. the guy is incredibly intelligent and observant. more like the day to day of being the president doesn't interest him. definitely low energy and incredibly uninspiring though. he has the charisma of a wet sock.
Frenk doesn't have that warm, welcoming personality that Dr. Shalala did. Dr. Shalala would walk around campus, wave and have full scale convos with people, just because she was out and about. Everyone isn't like that. I've heard that Dr. Frenk just isn't that kind of guy, he doesn't engender that kind of loyalty, because he isn't a personable guy.

I always love it when people fault the BOT and President of the University for sports related problems. Saying they don't care, etc.

Every single one of them would love to be the best at everything. The problem is the war chest and it only buys what's in it. Sure, they've bungled some hires, but people acting like their job is easy is laughable. Their first commitment is to the academic side of things, students facilities and campus enrichment. Somewhere down the line is sports.

This talk of spend it, it isn't there. You want to criticize that, put your money into the pot.
I don’t buy this. A good BOT can manage both. We’ve had absolutely abysmal hires at the coaching position. Almost as if they are trying to throw the program. There have been many other better budget minded coaches who many clamored for but the BOT never bothered looking at. Then come the higher academic standards of the early 2000’s that forced is to deny many studs where other schools rated significantly higher than Miami admitted them. Then facilities. Thank God for Mark Richt and his fundraising or else we wouldn’t have an IPF even though it’s 2021.
No this BOT with exception of a few guys could care less about football.

Advertisement
Back