Don't Tweet Recruits - Possible NCAA Violation

Advertisement
I think alot of you folks don't get it.
Yeah, the act of tweeting a prospect by any given fan who happens to be considered
a booster of a school isn't necessarily going to get his school in trouble.
But if it turns out another Nevin ****epiro starts doing more with recruits then just tweeting
or talking, then the social-media comes into play.
Regardless of what we think of Golden, Blake, Shalala (not a fan of any of them), it is
our responsibility as fans to police some of this stuff.

Some people may think it's cute and funny to tweet recruits but please think before you tweet..
We understand your frustration with the state of the U but telling recruits where to go and not to
go is a NCAA violation. New rules have been established for social media please read them.
Those members who ignore our warnings will be banned from this site.

As of right now Hurricanes_1983 and all of your other accounts have been banned..
Ray Lewis
SEAN TAYLOR
backdoorcover
clap bomb 16
sauce47
sauce77777
steve_downie
Jesus, how many accounts can one person have?

Look fans shouldn't be tweeting recruits but saying its a NCAA violation is BS how could the NCAA police that? and the last time i checked freedom of speech is still legal in this country, the NCAA is asking for a lawsuit. I mean you could respectfully ask fan to stop contacting recruits but making threats is not gonna work.
This is why I said possible violation in my title but fans should read the NCAA Bylaw 13.02.14..
I don't know how they are going to police it but why would anyone other than friends, reporters/writers, and schools tweet those kids?

Recruiting and social media: Twitter leads to new set of compliance problems

NCAA bylaws only allow an institution's coaches and authorized staff to contact prospective student-athletes; those who are prohibited from contacting recruits include boosters, season-ticket holders, students, alumni and, yes, even average fans.
“Fans cannot contact a recruit and attempt to entice them to attend a certain school, as this is a violation of NCAA rules,” said NCAA spokeswoman Kayci Woodley.
“If a school comes across an instance of this happening, it is expected they would reach out to those athletics personnel, fans and boosters and reinforce the ground rules related to communicating with recruits. This communication outreach would most likely be reported to the NCAA, which would show the school is doing their due diligence to abide by the NCAA rules.”

Advertisement
Some people may think it's cute and funny to tweet recruits but please think before you tweet..
We understand your frustration with the state of the U but telling recruits where to go and not to
go is a NCAA violation. New rules have been established for social media please read them.
Those members who ignore our warnings will be banned from this site.

As of right now Hurricanes_1983 and all of your other accounts have been banned..
Ray Lewis
SEAN TAYLOR
backdoorcover
clap bomb 16
sauce47
sauce77777
steve_downie
Jesus, how many accounts can one person have?

The ******* already created another one. Same **** that trolls on the Herald comments. UF troll.

You're all welcome, I brought it to the attention of the admins about this little pest earlier today.

I'm very laid back and don't call for anyone to get banned or really report anything at all, but he was going way overboard.

One thing is being upset at the University and the higher ups and another thing is attacking kids and their families. That's uncalled for.

Advertisement
The real question is how the fvck did someone have 8 accounts and not already be banned for that alone?

The real question is how the fvck did someone have 8 accounts and not already be banned for that alone?
Sometimes other accounts are not displayed when we look up a member. The admins will have to dig deeper and look through the logs to see if that person has other accounts. If you're not acting stupid on this site then there is no reason to dig through logs..

Look fans shouldn't be tweeting recruits but saying its a NCAA violation is BS how could the NCAA police that? and the last time i checked freedom of speech is still legal in this country, the NCAA is asking for a lawsuit. I mean you could respectfully ask fan to stop contacting recruits but making threats is not gonna work.

Don't know what the current rules are, but in the late '80's the NCAA tightened up contact rules for various representatives of a university's athletic interests (how I think they defined it, more or less) and PSA's (prospective student athletes). Generally, during the period up until a PSA actually enrolled--as I recall the rule--a representative of the school's athletic interests could not contact a PSA. Through any means (phone, meeting, letter, etc.) A representative of the school's athletic interests was generally defined to include an alumnus or a booster. So, when I used to contribute to the Hurrican Club, I could not contact a recruit (not that I wanted to). Now, if I wanted to, I probably could do so legally, since I'm no longer a booster and not an alum. The NCAA, however, might take a broader view of the category restricted from contact, and say that a contact that I might make would be illegal.

I don't know what the rule is about current UM students as opposed to alums. I don't know if the NCAA says that once a booster always a booster.

I think some of the restrictions on social media might have to do with all the texting that was going on between coaches and recruits, but I'm not sure about that.

Today I happened to look up a cousin of an old colleague who is now an assistant coach at a major Div I team out west. He is a former NFL player and won one of the top national position awards as a senior in college. I looked at his tweets, and he said that people should watch the HS all star game that was played this past weekend to see one of the recruits committed to his school. I don't remember if he mentioned him by name but gave all kinds of other identifying information. That might very well be a violation since I don't think coaches are allowed to comment publicly about a recruit until after they sign a NLOI.

Advertisement
If nothing else it's pretty **** creepy for a grown man to engage 17 year old kids on social media.

This. I just don't get it.

Was it anymore creepy in the early '80's when the NCAA allowed boosters and alums to contact recruits? A friend of mine in the Hurricane Club wrote letters to recruits at the behest of the football office. I think he wrote one to Kosar. They often attended breakfasts together when there were official visits. By the late '90's, recruits were in attendance at the same football banquets with boosters and alums, but they were kept segregated. i remember the same friend saying he saw Bibla and the kid was really big. They weren't allowed to interact with the recruits by that time.

I only think it's creepy for an older person to contact a younger person if there's something creepy about the content of the contact. It's not inherently creepy just to see what a recruit is saying--after all, they've made themselves into public figures and they have to expect that fans of all ages might be interested in what they are saying to the world about schools. Once you go on twitter, you're public. Some of us older fans are very interested in what recriuts are saying about schools. I don't follow any recruits but I've looked at their tweets. Often, I've ended up there because some tweets have been copied onto this board. Twitter is not just for young people; every leading political commentator, poltical blogger, politician, etc., have twitter accounts and make great use of them. I followed the 2012 election on twitter, reading the opinions and predictions of all kinds of commentators.

If nothing else it's pretty **** creepy for a grown man to engage 17 year old kids on social media.

This. I just don't get it.

I don't think it's inherently creepy at all. It depends on the content of the tweet. As I said, for many years, all schools had alums and boosters talking to recruits, writing them letters, etc. This was done at the request of the schools, meaning recruiting coordinators and coaches. Now, contact on twitter is not done at the school's request, but there is not anything inherently creepy about sending a short tweet correcting some misinformation.

Twitter is not private; it's public. I've gone to see HS games of kids the U was recruiting; if I felt I could help, and it was legal to do so, I would say something to th kid or his parents. I would not do it recklessly; most of the time I would think I could not help and I would be interfering.

Sorry if you younger people think twitter is private, and belongs only to people under the age of 21, but it does not. Probably millions of dollars is spent on recruiting pubs, websites, etc., and I'll bet most who pay the money are older people. Anywhere from the 20's to the '70's. If kids are going to tweet about the schools, then their twitter accounts are fair game.

And Cager in particular encourages it to some degree by retweeting everything, or so it seemed earlier today.

How can it be an NCAA violation and furthermore how could the NCAA possibly enforce that around the country?

Advertisement
How can it be an NCAA violation and furthermore how could the NCAA possibly enforce that around the country?

Simple answer is that they can't. It's literally impossible to enforce on someone who is just a fan. Every school playing NCAA football is in violation right this moment.

Simple answer is that they can't. It's literally impossible to enforce on someone who is just a fan. Every school playing NCAA football is in violation right this moment.

this

bunch of empty threats from national communist against athletes

shove it NCAA

and "creepy?".. wtf? As if these fans want to get in bed with these athletes.......... there's nothing creepy about this, it's called saving their ***ing @sses from becoming an undrafted NFL player

this

shove it NCAA

and "creepy?".. wtf? As if these fans want to get in bed with these athletes.......... there's nothing creepy about this, it's called saving their ***ing @sses from becoming an undrafted NFL player

how about just dont do it if u donate to UM and it is creepy to hit up 17 year olds no matter the reason.

this

shove it NCAA

how about just dont do it if u donate to UM and it is creepy to hit up 17 year olds no matter the reason.

just lol

Advertisement
Back