Don't shoot the messenger...Big12 & Canes

Advertisement
Miami needs to be positioning itself to get in the Big 12 with a quickness. Miami is the least attractive of the four ACC football schools and Notre Dame. Miami could be left out if they're not careful.

Shalala is currently negotiating for our exit from the ACC and into status as an Independent. She feels being on your own is the way to go. It's the way of the future.

Advertisement
I personally hate all this change in the college football....but if teams are going to leave the ACC...we MUST do the same!

Word will leak to the powers that be in the ACC, and the ACC will try to add ND plus 1. ND academically aligns itself much better to the ACC than anywhere else. If the ACC pulls ND, then the rest of the teams aren't going anywhere. They're the key to the whole **** thing. Plus 1 could be Temple, Louisville, etc.

From a football and recruiting standpoint, going to the Big 12 would be tremendous.

Word will leak to the powers that be in the ACC, and the ACC will try to add ND plus 1. ND academically aligns itself much better to the ACC than anywhere else. If the ACC pulls ND, then the rest of the teams aren't going anywhere. They're the key to the whole **** thing. Plus 1 could be Temple, Louisville, etc.

From a football and recruiting standpoint, going to the Big 12 would be tremendous.

yup

Advertisement
Canes are not going to the Big 12.We won't pay the exit fee like everyone and their grandma's are saying,and we won't leave the ACC.The ACC will be included in the playoff system when and if it happens.It's not economically possible for Miami and def. not FSU to travel farther for their non-football schools.The Seminoles lost money last year,so then they are going to magically come up with 20 mil to play teams from West Virginia all the way to Iowa and down to Texas? Cmon now.Same with Miami.Clemson and GTech won't leave either.

Canes are not going to the Big 12.We won't pay the exit fee like everyone and their grandma's are saying,and we won't leave the ACC.The ACC will be included in the playoff system when and if it happens.It's not economically possible for Miami and def. not FSU to travel farther for their non-football schools.The Seminoles lost money last year,so then they are going to magically come up with 20 mil to play teams from West Virginia all the way to Iowa and down to Texas? Cmon now.Same with Miami.Clemson and GTech won't leave either.

You pose an interesting point about the travel costs related to non-revenue generating sports (read: chick sports). Everytime theres conference realignment talks, this is always listed as a detriment. Yet, when I look at how profitiable the Pac 10 has been, I wonder how they do it. The Pac 10 is spread out further than any other BCS conference. LA to Seattle is quite a poke.

The travel becomes possible because of the bigger $ coming in. If you add 6 million to the budget by joining a new conference it covers the extra travel.

You pose an interesting point about the travel costs related to non-revenue generating sports (read: chick sports). Everytime theres conference realignment talks, this is always listed as a detriment. Yet, when I look at how profitiable the Pac 10 has been, I wonder how they do it. The Pac 10 is spread out further than any other BCS conference. LA to Seattle is quite a poke.

The travel becomes possible because of the bigger $ coming in. If you add 6 million to the budget by joining a new conference it covers the extra travel.

I would add that I read an article that said the conferences would split the travel costs (just like they share the revenue even if one team consistently goes to the BCS every year and the others dont). Unfortunately I do not have time to look for the article at the moment (just checking in quickly at work), I will try to find it tonight if no one else has.

Advertisement

Because the sports that don't carry a lot of equipment fly commercial. These flights are booked when the schedule is made, so they get great rates since it's months in advance. We are isolated enough now that we fly to all conference events, the only difference would be a 3 hour flight instead of a 90 minute flight. The longest bus trip I have heard of is a bus to Gainesville (womens soccer in the spring)

Equipment is what increases travel costs. A football team carries a ton of stuff that others sports don't. And that is why you see band trips getting cut...that's a lot of stuff to move.

Also, many sports have tournaments with multiple teams, so they don't even face a "conference" schedule. The teams that do face a conference schedule generally schedule 2 away games in one week. Soccer and volleyball will schedule @Wake and then @UNC on a Friday/Sunday.

It's all interesting, but i think it's completely out of our control. If (a big if) FSU, VT, and Clemson agreed to joint the B12, and we were invited as well, I don't think we'd have any choice whatsoever but to tag along. No way we could hang around a football-demolished ACC at that point.

By itself, I agree that we have no real interest in the B12, but we may not have a choice.

It's all interesting, but i think it's completely out of our control. If (a big if) FSU, VT, and Clemson agreed to joint the B12, and we were invited as well, I don't think we'd have any choice whatsoever but to tag along. No way we could hang around a football-demolished ACC at that point.

By itself, I agree that we have no real interest in the B12, but we may not have a choice.

Maybe we could create the Catholics vs Criminals Conference and just play ND 12 games a year :D

Advertisement
Nothing surprises me anymore, but I have a hard time seeing the canes leaving the acc for the big 12. Academics aren't good in big 12 other than Texas. Geographically and culturally, it doesn't make sense either. UM is much better suited being in a conf with BC and Syracuse than Tex Tech and Iowa state. UNC, duke, GT and UVA are excellent schools. I just don't see shalala pulling that trigger.

Nothing surprises me anymore, but I have a hard time seeing the canes leaving the acc for the big 12. Academics aren't good in big 12 other than Texas. Geographically and culturally, it doesn't make sense either. UM is much better suited being in a conf with BC and Syracuse than Tex Tech and Iowa state. UNC, duke, GT and UVA are excellent schools. I just don't see shalala pulling that trigger.

I don't think Miami wants to leave the ACC, but FSU (or at least some influential people there) do seem to want to go. If FSU and any of the other football first (over other sports) schools (VT, Clemson, GT) go then I think the remainder of the football schools are forced to try and go somewhere else. The ACC is already struggling as a football power conference, imagine taking one or more of the big football schools out and it is weakened even further which means that revenue goes down and/or it becomes harder to make it to the post season.

Also, as these super conferences are made, it will become even harder for Miami to schedule quality OOC opponents if we are not in one of the Big 4 as teams in the big 4 will either have less openings b/c they are playing expanded conference schedules or rather schedule easier opponents to make up for the rest of the schedule being hard (think SEC teams' excuses). Think about it, if FSU leaves the ACC, do you think they will continue to play Miami and UF?

If I had my choice, I would be just fine staying in the ACC the way it is, but if teams like FSU start bolting, we will quickly approach Big East territory as a conference.

If the ACC Loses F$U and Clemson, then they should do whatever it takes to pull ND and Rutgers into the mix.

Being independent is a fantasy, never going to happen. The ACC can go from rock solid to dead if FSU and company bolt. UM doesn't want the Big 12, but it would be stupid not to keep our options open. If I'm the ACC I sell it's soul to Notre Dame, because it keeps the conference intact. Add Rutgers after that and become the first 16 team conference.

Advertisement
Back