Dont know if anyone saw this but......

T

TreOFive

Jaquan leading team in tackles despite missing what....2 games? He is not an AA for nothing...kid can flat out ball!

He would probably be in the 60 range and on pace for 100+ if he healthy

Sophomore defensive end Jon Garvin is tied for third nationally with 11 1/2 tackles for loss, and fourth nationally with 1.9 tackles for loss per game. Garvin is tied with linebacker Shaq Quarterman with 30 tackles, second best on the team behind Jaquan Johnson’s 32, and also has 3 1/2 sacks, three pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article219774125.html

Advertisement
It’s amazing what can happen when you have leadership at all 3 spots on defense. Willis on the line, Shaq at LB, Johnson in the secondary.

Advertisement
I think it's great that JJ stayed. He certainly greatly improved his draft prospects.

That being said, it's normally not a good sign to have someone in your secondary as your leading tackler.

Guess outsiders can look at it three ways; either JJ is just so much quicker & outstanding at reading plays so he's making tackles all over the field OR that runners are getting past the 1st two defensive fronts OR we've played lots of high passing teams

Since we're privileged to have seen all of his games here we know it's a lot more of the former than the latter two. Especially this year.

JJ is a very special talent. I hope that it's noticed come draft time

I think it's great that JJ stayed. He certainly greatly improved his draft prospects.

That being said, it's normally not a good sign to have someone in your secondary as your leading tackler.

Guess outsiders can look at it three ways; either JJ is just so much quicker & outstanding at reading plays so he's making tackles all over the field OR that runners are getting past the 1st two defensive fronts OR we've played lots of high passing teams

Since we're privileged to have seen all of his games here we know it's a lot more of the former than the latter two. Especially this year.

Johnson plays closer to the line of scrimmage and he just finds the ball, he’s a playmaker back there and does it matter if he leads the defense in tackles if we give up the 2nd least amount of yards in the country and have the 2nd ranked defense in the country, #1 on 3rd down defense? You saw the impact, a lot of those runs unc had dont happen if he played that game

Johnson plays closer to the line of scrimmage and he just finds the ball, he’s a playmaker back there and does it matter if he leads the defense in tackles if we give up the 2nd least amount of yards in the country and have the 2nd ranked defense in the country, #1 on 3rd down defense? You saw the impact, a lot of those runs unc had dont happen if he played that game

Agreed. It seems the defense is somewhat schemed to have the Rover safety play closer to the LOS and fill the lanes with authority. The schematic setup paired with Jaquan's play recognition and general ability come together to result in his success. It really opens my eyes to how Keontra Smith might just be a perfect future Rover safety in this defense. Keontra has some of the best ability to find the ball and close on the ballcarrier I've seen on a HS highlight tape. The number of TFLs he racks up is insane.

Agreed. It seems the defense is somewhat schemed to have the Rover safety play closer to the LOS and fill the lanes with authority. The schematic setup paired with Jaquan's play recognition and general ability come together to result in his success. It really opens my eyes to how Keontra Smith might just be a perfect future Rover safety in this defense. Keontra has some of the best ability to find the ball and close on the ballcarrier I've seen on a HS highlight tape. The number of TFLs he racks up is insane.
He’s a perfect fit to take over Jaquan’s role and I can’t wait.

Advertisement

I agree 100%

As I said he's so quick and outstanding at reading plays...that certainly allows him to play close to the LOS and still patrol the secondary.

I have no issue with him being the leading tackler, he earned that with his extraordinary skills

Last edited:

Normally yes this is a bad omen... but he plays so much down in the box that its almost like hes a LB at times...

Case in point in the 4th when FSU was trying to convert a 3and 1 and they ran a zone read option with Akers and JJ stood strong waiting for it and killed akers right at the line of scrimmage for a no gain

Big time play there to get FSU off the field and not allow them a chance to drive for some points

Our top Safety will always lead the team in Tackles, it's by design as a staple of Diaz's Defense.

In 2016, Jamal Carter lead the team with 85tcks, Shaq was 2nd with 84tcks.
In 2017, Jaquan Johnson lead the team with 94tcks 3TFL's 4INT's 3FF's 2FR's & 1TD, Shaq was 2nd with 83tcks.
In 2018, Jaquan Johnson leads the team with 32tcks & Shaq is 2nd with 30tcks 6.5TFL's & 3 sacks.

The Rover Safety in our scheme has the responsibility of being the first one to the ball, both vs pass & run plays. Quan just does it so well because he's an exceptional player with phenomenal instincts & great tackling ability.

That's why Redwine primarily gets the Deep Single High role of providing help over top or covering his man one on one. They sometimes switch off depending on the coverage, plus Red has to help a lot more on Dean's side, but for the most part Quan is the Rover & Red is the Deep Centerfielder.

Advertisement
JJ is our best player, best leader, and the heart and soul of the team. He’s low key one of the best defensive players in the entire country.

Advertisement
His 2018 stats are misleading because he has missed 2.5 games (not to mention much of the 2nd half against SSU).

tenor.gif

Our top Safety will always lead the team in Tackles, it's by design as a staple of Diaz's Defense.

In 2016, Jamal Carter lead the team with 85tcks, Shaq was 2nd with 84tcks.
In 2017, Jaquan Johnson lead the team with 94tcks 3TFL's 4INT's 3FF's 2FR's & 1TD, Shaq was 2nd with 83tcks.
In 2018, Jaquan Johnson leads the team with 32tcks & Shaq is 2nd with 30tcks 6.5TFL's & 3 sacks.

The Rover Safety in our scheme has the responsibility of being the first one to the ball, both vs pass & run plays. Quan just does it so well because he's an exceptional player with phenomenal instincts & great tackling ability.

That's why Redwine primarily gets the Deep Single High role of providing help over top or covering his man one on one. They sometimes switch off depending on the coverage, plus Red has to help a lot more on Dean's side, but for the most part Quan is the Rover & Red is the Deep Centerfielder.

I feel much smarter after reading this.

Thank you so much, Liberty.

Advertisement
Back