DONT KILL THE MESSENGER

Advertisement
You can be a great recruiting head coach as long as you have really good OC and DC

Im not too sure about that. I would want my Head Coach to be a X and O guy on one side of the ball. Also, what happens when that Great Coordinator takes a higher job? You are at the mercy of the open market.

Advertisement
Here is my original quote.

That is why Doug Marrone at Cuse left, he did well for what he had at Cuse.

This whole tangent, that you have continued on for no reason other than an obsession with me, is because you don't understand English.

All I said was he did well for what he had at Cuse.

Other times he was a "success" because of what he had to deal with, pick argument and stick with it Conman.

I replied...

As for Doug Marrone, the last time Cuse had a winning season was 2001. The last time they won a bowl game was also 2001. In the 4 years before Doug Marrone arrived, Syracuse won 10 total games. That is not an exaggeration. They won 10 games. So for a coach to come in and win 2 bowl games and have (2) 8 win seasons for a dead program. That is "success". This doesn't mean this is good for Miami but a dormant program like Syracuse, this is "success".

Again, you still don't understand. I was impressed at how quickly he was able to do something. That is all. You then went on some diatribe about Schiano blah blah blah blah and how the comparison wasn't fair.

I'm sure you would love to believe someone is obsessed with your posts, it goes with the rest of your narcissistic personality.

Potato,

I am glad you responded again and yes you're obsessed. The constant need to re-read and misinterpret my other posts, amazing stuff.

-

Bait and switch, is this real life? Those are facts that defend why Marrone had greater "success" than Schiano. Feel free to disagree and ********** in your tinfoil hat.

Again, Schiano never won the conference and it took him 6 years to win a bowl game. It took him 5 years to have a winning record. Marrone did it 2 years. So in 2004, after VT/Miami left, Schiano in his 4th season at Rutgers finished 4-7 (1-5). His record actually REGRESSED from the year before and it got easier in conference. I am using the same criteria. Schiano NEVER won the conference and it took 5 years to have a winning season. So he never was able to win a bad conference. I deem what Marrone did as success, since he rather quickly, won a bowl game and took them from the bottom dwellers. He even beat Schiano twice.

2. Marrone posted his first winning season playing NO team that finished the season ranked in conference or out of it. Three of those 8 wins were against Akron, Colgate, Maine (side note: Is season really the season your using as part of your quick turnaround argument for highly successful Marrone? Didn't you say Schiano started winning by beating these same type of teams? Again, Why are you not judging them using the same criteria?)

In Year 2, he was able to beat a RANKED #19 WVU. I give Marrone credit for taking his team to a Bowl Game in the second season.

Your side note above is not in english.

3. In Marrone's 2 winning seasons he played a total of 1 team that finished the season ranked

Marrone, in his last 3 seasons at Cuse beat the following ranked teams:

2010: #19 WVU
2011: #11 WVU
2012: #10 Louisville (BCS Sugar Bowl Champs)

Not sure why they don't count.

4.From the period of 2005 to 2011 (seven seasons) Schiano playing a revamped BE consisting of West Virgina, Louisvillie, South Florida, Pitt., Cinn., UConn, produced 1 losing season over a seven year period. During this time facing the teams above he had a 25-24 record. (Side note: often used by you as a criticism of Schiano but not for the highly successful Marrone, what gives?)

I never heard anyone make an argument for a revamped BE consisting of those teams. My guess is you found some random combination of teams where Schiano did slightly above .500 over 7 seasons. Also, all of those teams were in the BE till 2011 (WVU left in 2012).

Also, you're using Schiano's 5th - 11th seasons to compare it to Marrone's 1st - 4th season. That is fair in Potato land. Nice equal comparison. When all things were equal and heads up? What happened? Schiano had a 1-2 record against Marrone in head-to-head competition.

5. From the period 2009 to 2012 (four seasons) playing in a BE with West Virgina, Louisvillie, South Florida, Pitt., Cinn., UConn produced 2 losing seasons. Yes 2 over a 4 year period. During his time facing those teams had a conference record of 11-17 (side note: I guess this a success for you? And does this indicated he would have had a winning record in the old BE?)

See the first part above.

6. During their time together in the BE from 2009 to 2011, Marrone's conference record of 6-15 and Schiano had a record of 8-15 (side note: Since using a 2-1 head to head match to draw some conclusions, what does this say? Did Schiano outpreform Marrone when facing same conference competition or not?)

Draw conclusions like who is a better coach head-to head? Is this real life?

What is your point about listing these "fun facts"? This convo started with you saying that coaches need to be successful in order to leave college for the NFL. I named O'Brien as an example of someone that was mediocre and received a NFL job, you argued that he was successful then added Marrone was as well. According to you, O'Brien was highly successful because he sanctions/transfer. Marrone was highly successful because he tied for the BE and had two winning seasons producing one his second year. Did I get all that? So wtf does their records in the NFL have to do with anything about landing a job from college?

Marrone, Schiano, O'Brien produced similar mediocre records and all landed NFL jobs but you seem to think they were all highly successful to land those gigs. So why don't you go ahead and tell us what made Schiano so highly successful landing him an NFL gig?

The conversation started because you can't read. Here is the quote again:

Bill O'Brien did a great job considering what happened at PSU and what he had to deal with. That is success. That is why Doug Marrone at Cuse left, he did well for what he had at Cuse.

So yes, given what happen at PSU, he did a great job. He even was coach of the year. Others agree as well as evidenced by the award. Same thing with Marrone, I think Buffalo was impressed with how QUICKLY he took a dead program and achieved success (in Cuse terms).

Why did Schiano receive an HC gig? I don't know. I wouldn't have hired him. I think what makes him good in college doesn't mean chit in the pros. I think Schiano is a good recruiter and that makes a difference in college.

I think this sums up Schiano... The hire was generally considered surprising (as "college" coaches, historically, tend to experience a high rate of failure at the NFL/professional level); Schiano's mere 68–67 record at Rutgers received less scrutiny at the time, as high-profile, upset victories had enhanced media/popular perceptions of Schiano's effectiveness. The Buccaneers ended the 2012–2013 regular season with a 7–9 record, missing the playoffs in the process. In the 2013-2014 season, the team regressed to 4–12.

The NFL records only indicate what happens when professional coaches are matched against professional coaches. It was just a fun fact.

LMAO, what happened to 40? Even with your wonky numbers you don't get to 40, you're not making chit up are you? And the sanctions were reduced in 2013 then restored all together in 2014 (see usa today link). Keep on trying to figure out new ways to justify your silly arguments, Conman.

NCAA to gradually restore Penn State scholarships

Here let me help you out .

Getting to 67: A look at Penn State football's scholarship players for 2013 | PennLive.com

So a max of 18 scholarships players is what he was missing not 40. I'm sure these sanctions and scholarship reductions were crippling in your eyes even though PSU has a famed walk on program that doesn't count against scholarship limits. So tell why was O'Brien not subjected to your must win a conference championship criteria in order to a be success when he took over a team that was division co-champs the year before under Joe Paterno and only lost 1 impact player?

Bill O'Brien coached at PSU in 2012 and 2013. Any restorations that happened in 2014 (or after) didn't help him in the 2012 or 2013 seasons. I misspoke when I said 40. I deeply apologize. But this is what a Potato does, he makes a tangent about some minor point and digs his heels in firm.

Transfers + 2012 Ships Down (I didn't count decommits, I only pointed them out) + 2013 Ships Down
18 + 6 + 10

Again, this goes back to the original point which you misinterpreted.

Bill O'Brien did a great job considering what happened at PSU and what he had to deal with. That is success. That is why Doug Marrone at Cuse left, he did well for what he had at Cuse.

So yes, Bill was not expected to do much at PSU due to the what happened. Do you understand or no?

Last edited:
Guys I'd love to have as HC:
Hue Jackson (Bengals OC), Chip kelly (Eagles HC), Rob Chudzinski (Colts Asst HC), Chuck Pagano (Colts HC), Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)

Guys that would be good hires:
Mark Richt (Georgia HC), Brent Venables (Clemson DC), Frank Wilson (LSU Rb), Jeremy Pruitt (Georgia DC), Tom Herman (Houston HC), Lane Kiffen (Bama OC)

Decent Hires:
Justin Fuente (Memphis HC), Mario Cristobal (Bama OL), Greg Schiano (FA), Scott Frost (Oregon OC)

****, I just say we have a grand ol' reunion and hope we get Pagano as HC, Chudzinski as OC (& TE Coach), Butch as DC (and Recruiting Coordinator), Kehoe as OL coach, Beard as WR coach, and whoever else they want on this staff. I'd be so **** happy if that were to happen. Then again, I'd be really **** happy if any of those guys in the top list became HC.

You got to be ****** kidding me hue jackson????

I doubt this info is legit but if it is and Hue Jackson is indeed a candidate, let alone the leading candidate, then I quit.

If so, the admin has no interest in winning. I will not spend $ again (I'm not now while Golden is here).

It's legit. I know for absolute fact that Hue was in contact with UM when the firing rumors started .

He contacted them.

Bump

I heard today from a reliable person in the know that they wanted to make the move this weekend but once again, the buyout is a huge obstacle. It probably won't happen till the end of the season.

They also told me the top candidate is... Hue Jackson. Offensive Coordinator of the Bengals.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it, if that is in fact the move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue_Jackson

Bump

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back