Dont kill the messenger. We have a top 5 DL recruiting class🤷🏾‍♂️

When the coach sets a standard and falls short of that standard, it's fair criticism. The recruiting bar was supposed to be raised when they brought in Mario but instead it's looking like a Diaz/Richt/Golden type of class. Not bad but nowhere near good enough to get back on top.
Some of you guys are insufferable. What did they say about shooting for the moon? Did you expect Mario to have a low expectation? If he did, you will also complain. If he shoots for the No 1 class and then lands a top ten class that’s good enough.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are insufferable. What did they say about shooting for the moon? Did you expect Mario to have a low expectation? If he did, you will also complain. If he shoots for the No 1 class and then lands a top ten class that’s good enough.
He's not getting paid to come close to signing the best players.

UGA has three top 30 DLine commits.
Ole Miss and us have two top 30 DLine Commits.
Everyone else has 1 or fewer so far.

Probably a little different if you include "edge" types though, many of which will end up DE. They are often in their own category.

Not refuting your point or anything, just pointing it out.

He's not getting paid to come close to signing the best players.

But I think it's way too early to say his failing, especially of of last year's class. After 3 years? I will agree with you if the norm is what we saw this summer.

Advertisement
If only 247 had an easy way of selecting groupings...
Oh they do…

But I'm just saying. I don't care what that picture says

If we are rating DL classes, it's not a real rating if you aren't counting both categories.

Unless you are doing that and have counted both categories together yourself? In that case I digress

Can't let the sunshine through. Must maintain the moping. Moper for life! (throws up some random fingers sign)
Chicago Bulls Wrestling GIF by WWE

But I think it's way too early to say his failing, especially of of last year's class. After 3 years? I will agree with you if the norm is what we saw this summer.
I wouldn't say he's failing. My point was that they made a very public goal of signing the top DL class in the nation and as of today, 8/22/23, they have not. Maybe the get a flip or two? Maybe it ends up being the top class come signing day? But as of right this moment, it's not. Overall recruiting has slipped considerably this year whether people want to believe it or not. The other point that others have brough up here is that while the DL class is solid if not the BEST, we have struggled to sign DBs and the only quarterback we have is at best a huge project. Once again, maybe things change by signing day. Maybe a good season on the field changes a few guys' minds. It's certainly possible but right now, this is a very Al Golden-esque class.

Oh they do…

But I'm just saying. I don't care what that picture says

If we are rating DL classes, it's not a real rating if you aren't counting both categories.

Unless you are doing that and have counted both categories together yourself? In that case I digress
No I'm literally saying you can't select specific groupings like that. You can't go DL + Athletes/LB likely to play DL...
But it is a real rating still. Among players listed as DLinemen in the top 30, there are 3 programs with 2+ commits.

Advertisement
No I'm literally saying you can't select specific groupings like that. You can't go DL + Athletes/LB likely to play DL...
But it is a real rating still. Among players listed as DLinemen in the top 30, there are 3 programs with 2+ commits.

Of course you can and probably should…Because sometimes 247 throws players wherever they like. And there are clearly DE in the LB group.

No real issue here though, your point is taken.

Last edited:
Top ten recruiting puts us in the championship hunt

Top 10 recruiting only puts you in the championship hunt if you have otherworldly elite QB play. Otherwise you don’t really have a chance.

UGA, Bama, and OSU recruit in a tier of their own. They’ve won 6 of the last 10 national titles and they’ve been mainstays in the CFB playoff.

The other four national champs in the last decade were:

- LSU with the unstoppable QB/WR group of Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, and Justin Jefferson.
- Clemson with Trevor Lawrence, Tee Higgins, and freshman year Justyn Ross.
- Clemson with Deshaun Watson.
- FSU with Jameis.

There is an enormous gap between landing Top 3 hauls with scores in the 300’s like Bama & UGA land on an annual basis and just ending up in the top 10.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ya'll know I'm not a Mario slurper and I rarely pump sunshine but most years, this would have been a really solid DL haul. It's just that we were told over and over, by anyone with any type of connection to the program that Mario's goal was "THE BEST DL CLASS IN THE COUNTRY". And frankly, the results haven't been anywhere near that.

Pretty much. It’s a product of overselling.

Very good DL class so far, especially Russell now as a DT prospect. Add another legit DT with him and Jones + the ends and it’s the best in a while.

Add to this, we are actually trending UP with local elite WRs. We are definitely cooking behind the scenes. It’s a low and slow lechon asado though.

Ya'll know I'm not a Mario slurper and I rarely pump sunshine but most years, this would have been a really solid DL haul. It's just that we were told over and over, by anyone with any type of connection to the program that Mario's goal was "THE BEST DL CLASS IN THE COUNTRY". And frankly, the results haven't been anywhere near that.
And miami is gna have to hold on to all 3 until signing day. I know we've hears rumblings that Jones is looking at FSU...if miami holds onto all 3 it's a nice haul but like u said, nothing near what insiders kept pumping for months. Would love to add 1 more between stone/breland and it would be perfect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back