Dont kill the messenger. We have a top 5 DL recruiting class🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Ya'll know I'm not a Mario slurper and I rarely pump sunshine but most years, this would have been a really solid DL haul. It's just that we were told over and over, by anyone with any type of connection to the program that Mario's goal was "THE BEST DL CLASS IN THE COUNTRY". And frankly, the results haven't been anywhere near that.
Of course that’s the goal. Nobody said they guaranteed it will happen

Of course that’s the goal. Nobody said they guaranteed it will happen
When the coach sets a standard and falls short of that standard, it's fair criticism. The recruiting bar was supposed to be raised when they brought in Mario but instead it's looking like a Diaz/Richt/Golden type of class. Not bad but nowhere near good enough to get back on top.

Imagine thinking that your coaching staff recruiting the **** out of every single highly ranked defensive line prospect in the country, and landing a Top 5 collection of them, was a bad thing. Are you guys OK?

The DL class is very good. Guess what? If we could recruit a SINGLE decent defensive back, the class wouldn't be ranked #15, and the tears over the DL class wouldn't be nearly as voluminous. Hey Mr. Addae....you gonna ******* do something, or what?

Dylan Day
Isaiah Thomas
Romanas Frederique Jr.
Ryan Mack

Not a single one of those kids is ranked in the Top FIVE-HUNDRED.

Add Patterson and Mincey to this class (not saying we sign both those kids, just an example of adding highly ranked kids) and we have the #10 ranked class right now and people aren't quite as frantic about the defensive line. We have two very good WRs committed, a very good RB, a very good TE, and some excellent defensive linemen. Any time you guys wanna add some blue-chip DBs....you know, something that you should be able to do at Miami in your ******* sleep, that would be OK with me.

Advertisement
When the coach sets a standard and falls short of that standard, it's fair criticism. The recruiting bar was supposed to be raised when they brought in Mario but instead it's looking like a Diaz/Richt/Golden type of class. Not bad but nowhere near good enough to get back on top.
He did raise the bar look at what he has brought in. Lol this class isn’t over yet dámn

He did raise the bar look at what he has brought in. Lol this class isn’t over yet dámn
It can still be salvaged. Maybe they can close on a couple of the guys who aren't committed yet. Maybe they can flip a guy or two. It's possible but I'm not speculating. I'm looking at this class as of today and it's pretty much what we could expect from a Manny Diaz class.

It can still be salvaged. Maybe they can close on a couple of the guys who aren't committed yet. Maybe they can flip a guy or two. It's possible but I'm not speculating. I'm looking at this class as of today and it's pretty much what we could expect from a Manny Diaz class.

To be fair, Manny's class that he tried to salvage after Richt left was 27th. His first true class was 17th. And then the Covid class was 11th. He also had us in the 40s when he was fired.

Point taken, though. You're not really that far off. I will continue to bet on Mario Cristobal in recruiting until I'm proven otherwise, but yes, if the ink dried today, it's a failure. Thankfully it does not, and he has almost 3 months to get things improved. There are certainly still available ways to do that.

Ya'll know I'm not a Mario slurper and I rarely pump sunshine but most years, this would have been a really solid DL haul. It's just that we were told over and over, by anyone with any type of connection to the program that Mario's goal was "THE BEST DL CLASS IN THE COUNTRY". And frankly, the results haven't been anywhere near that.
100% agree with all of your post!!

It's still a pretty solid haul and IF we can somehow land Stone and/or Breland that would push into an even higher category haul. Land both Stone and Breland and it very well could be the best DL class in the country

Advertisement
To be fair, Manny's class that he tried to salvage after Richt left was 27th. His first true class was 17th. And then the Covid class was 11th. He also had us in the 40s when he was fired.

Point taken, though. You're not really that far off. I will continue to bet on Mario Cristobal in recruiting until I'm proven otherwise, but yes, if the ink dried today, it's a failure. Thankfully it does not, and he has almost 3 months to get things improved. There are certainly still available ways to do that.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Manny was near the 70's when he was fired

The mopiness is all about : 1) the fact we have an extremely thin QB room and our only commit so far is our riskiest eval. 2) the fear we strike out on both Stone and Breland after previously missing on Scott, Simmons and Franklin. and 3) the fear of losing Patterson. Nail on the FUD coffin is that FSU of all programs is squawking about ZP.

I am the last thing from a mope. I have a lot of faith in Rad, Mario, Zo and staff. But even I am seeing a disconnect between our present recruiting reality and the earlier rhetoric where we were hearing that this DL class would look like last year's OL class, for example. Some of it is just intelligent expectation setting. But some of it does look like the program was caught napping while other competitors ate our lunch.

But as everyone says, there's a lot more time to go. Bad vector at the moment, though, and not to acknowledge that after fans have endured 20 years of false hype is a little silly.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Manny was near the 70's when he was fired
That last class under Manny was a lame duck class. Nobody was coming to play for a coach who was as good as fired three games into the season.

My point being that coaches the caliber of Diaz or Golden were capable of putting together classes very similar to the one we currently have.

Sorry, my point was it was terrible. Guess I didn’t realize it was terribler than i remembered.

Manny was an all out disaster. Even his recruiting "wins" vastly underperformed. Check out his 4-star defensive recruits as DC/HC:

* DJ Johnson (transferred out after one season)
* Garvin (good not great)
* Steed (okay not special pre-injury, quality depth post-injury)
* Silvera (good not great)
* Gurvan Hall (got worse every year he was a Cane, transferred)
* Frierson (see Hall)
* Ivey (no comment)
* Blades (looked to be emerging, Covid heart issues, transferred)
* Keontra (okay not special)
* Harvey (okay, not special)
* Blissett (transferred)
* Christian Williams (transferred)
* JHH (okay not special)
* Chanz (quality depth)
* Avantae Williams (pregnant baby momma abuser, transferred)
* Clarke (transferred)
* Dunson (transferred)
* Jalen Harrell (transferred)
* Tyler Johnson (transferred)
* Chase Smith (injured, jury is out)

Only "hits" so far are our 5-stars in LT and JW (and even he has underperformed so far), along with Kam who was a composite 3 star.

^^^ That is a whole lot of bat guano.

Advertisement
Back