Don't Forget Al Golden is ND's DC

CaneFan79

Senior

Attachments

• Golden-Al-1987-1987-Red-Bank-Catholic-School-Yearbook-Coach-Al-Golden-268x394-jpg.jpg
    Golden-Al-1987-1987-Red-Bank-Catholic-School-Yearbook-Coach-Al-Golden-268x394-jpg.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 19
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with this. Al’s problem was that he left his D up to No’D and refused to fire him.

It was Goldens 3-4. DNo just ran it. Next guy would have probably called it the same too. ( Like Gattis is running Cristobals O- can replace Gattis but will just get another like him). I think the biggest problem is Golden wanted to run a traditional 3-4 with big heavy players and was bulking them up and they were losing their speed.

By contrast you can look at the 3-4 Aranda ran had much lighter players. Godchaux was his NT in 2016 at LSU and he wasn't even 300 lbs. Arandas 3-4 focused on speed and aggression. By design, Golden had a read and react 3-4. It absolutely required a heavy DL that controlled gaps and let the LBs diagnose the play. Just a bad fit for S Fl athletes.

Golden could have been successful with a different flavor of 3-4 but he didn't adapt it to the players he had and it got him fired. Hmmm... I wonder if that is relevant today...

I agree with this. Al’s problem was that he left his D up to No’D and refused to fire him.
Yep I knew it from game 1 that this d would be an issue at least for 2 years and Al still rolled with his buddy. The offenses were good enough. Jedd was solid here.

Advertisement
I am not an Al Golden fan but when he came to UM in he was not aware of THE CRIPPLING SANCTIONS that were going to be levied against the UM football program. He was blindsided and that was brutal. I don't think he was a terrible coach but his relationship with D'Onofrio and the sanctions killed him.

Advertisement
Back