D'Onofrio Interviews for Temple - Updated :-/ I haz a sad

View as article
Wait a second, did PickSix just say that our offensive schemes changed from one game to another? Please provide some examples. What do you even define as a "scheme?"

I think he meant game plan

Maybe, but his previous sentence was that "he designed playbooks for franchises in the NFL and can run virtually any scheme you want to. Fisch doesn't have one set scheme in his mind..."

Advertisement
Fisch did exactly what Golden told him to this season - run an uptempo offense and try to outscore teams. This already came out a couple of weeks ago.

Yup. Because he knew the defense was going to be lousy based on the depth chart. It was the only chance we had, although there were times that I wish we'd tried to control the ball and time of possession a little better.

Golden scheme on offense doesn't really mesh with what Fisch has been doing.

What scheme? Golden had never run an offense and has always been a coach on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes and no. Golden was a TE in Penn State's offense so he knows all about offense and that's why he chose to become more familiar with defense and special teams "he's coached both". There is certainly a scheme Golden wants to run on offense.

Fisch was hired because he designed playbooks for franchises in the NFL and can run virtually any scheme you want to. Fisch doesn't have one set scheme in his mind which was evident by the way our schemes changed from game to game depending on the deficiencies of the defenses we were playing.

So because he played TE and coached HS football in the 90s he knows all about scheming an offense in college? He might have a style he would prefer to play but he's not a guy who could call plays at the college level successfully at the moment.

FWIW, a little off topic but I think a lot of people are confused on how much/little that head coaches micro-manage their OCs and DCs.

So playing TE for a major D-1 powerhouse would give you zero knowledge of how an offense should be run?

And yes, I meant game plan. As for scheme Fisch can run anything imaginable. That's why he brought in.

LuCane, fair enough. Just sick of hearing scheme this or that when the roster had 22 true Sophomores or younger on the defensive two deep. Like Franchise said "Ed Reed wasn't Ed Reed as a freshman" and Deon Bush will not be Deon Bush until about his Junior year either.

Wait a second, did PickSix just say that our offensive schemes changed from one game to another? Please provide some examples. What do you even define as a "scheme?"

Maybe, but his previous sentence was that "he designed playbooks for franchises in the NFL and can run virtually any scheme you want to. Fisch doesn't have one set scheme in his mind..."

Golden has stated that he wants to run tons of plays out of multiple formations. What scheme would you call that Lu? I've seen wildcat, two TE sets, Power formations, Option running w/Duke. Let's call our scheme throwing the kitchen sink at them shall we?

Golden has stated that he wants to run tons of plays out of multiple formations. What scheme would you call that Lu? I've seen wildcat, two TE sets, Power formations, Option running w/Duke. Let's call our scheme throwing the kitchen sink at them shall we?

Schematically and stylistically, he's closest to Andy Reid, Linehan and other west coast variants. And, "throw the kitchen sink" at them is probably pretty accurate. That's what worries me sometimes. No one has really questioned his talent and ability to create.

Advertisement

Schematically and stylistically, he's closest to Andy Reid, Linehan and other west coast variants. And, "throw the kitchen sink" at them is probably pretty accurate. That's what worries me sometimes. No one has really questioned his talent and ability to create.

When you can get the type of talent Miami can I'll take a "throw the kitchen sink at them" offense gladly. Makes it tough to game plan for opposing DC's. What are we going to do with all this talent? Have to find ways to utilize them somehow. This offense can attack any part of the field and we'll soon have talent that can house it on any given play. Match that up with a kick *** defense and we're Golden...

Let's not forget Special Teams is beginning to look Special again.

Golden scheme on offense doesn't really mesh with what Fisch has been doing.

What scheme? Golden had never run an offense and has always been a coach on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes and no. Golden was a TE in Penn State's offense so he knows all about offense and that's why he chose to become more familiar with defense and special teams "he's coached both". There is certainly a scheme Golden wants to run on offense.

Fisch was hired because he designed playbooks for franchises in the NFL and can run virtually any scheme you want to. Fisch doesn't have one set scheme in his mind which was evident by the way our schemes changed from game to game depending on the deficiencies of the defenses we were playing.

So because he played TE and coached HS football in the 90s he knows all about scheming an offense in college? He might have a style he would prefer to play but he's not a guy who could call plays at the college level successfully at the moment.

FWIW, a little off topic but I think a lot of people are confused on how much/little that head coaches micro-manage their OCs and DCs.

So playing TE for a major D-1 powerhouse would give you zero knowledge of how an offense should be run?

There is huge difference between playing and coaching. And the simplicity of offense in the 80s-90s is a far cry from what we see in today's football.

When you can get the type of talent Miami can I'll take a "throw the kitchen sink at them" offense gladly. Makes it tough to game plan for opposing DC's. What are we going to do with all this talent? Have to find ways to utilize them somehow. This offense can attack any part of the field and we'll soon have talent that can house it on any given play. Match that up with a kick *** defense and we're Golden...

I'll tell you one thing I noticed for sure about the offense. When we started being more committed to running the ball and finding the TE in the intermediate/deep seams in the last 3 or 4 games, this offense looked much better. Looked like there were some philosophical tweaks toward the end of the year, and they worked well.

Advertisement
Speaking of an improved running game during the last quarter of the season, it seemed to me that Fisch's zone runs were much more effective from the standard double tightend set. I'm not sure whether it was a case of balancing out eight man fronts, getting favorable numbers verses two deep looks, or executing against less athletic talent.

does golden have any play calling imput? you hear random thought on who calls offensive plays in the red and so forth? could we help him out? barrow is killing special teams, and if closes grace and thomas....he knows defense + - better than anyone...

How can anyone complain about the job Fisch did last year? He made the most of our weapons. Morris has improved under his teaching.

We were missing a power back and a serviceable receiving TE. That's the only complaint I have from last year's offense. We did have to get cute sometimes in the red zone out of necessity.

Advertisement

I'll tell you one thing I noticed for sure about the offense. When we started being more committed to running the ball and finding the TE in the intermediate/deep seams in the last 3 or 4 games, this offense looked much better. Looked like there were some philosophical tweaks toward the end of the year, and they worked well.

Sorry but the stats simply don't support your theory. The first game of the season Miami rushed the ball more times than any time other than the final game against Duke. At no point in time was Miami more committed to the run at the end of the season or the beginning of the season. In fact, UNC was the game where Miami committed to the run which game #7 "45 rushes" and we lost. Please go to ncaa.org to verify.

Sounds good but it simply isn't true...

The kitchen sink approach did help us use our wepons well at times this year, but IMHO it also led to a lot of bad plays, and confusion stalling the offense at times. It's also a lot to ask of your QB, and may have led to some of Morris' jitters in the pocket and bad plays. Tons for him to think about. That said, with everybody coming back on offense it could lead to big things in 2013 when everybody (especially Morris) has another offseason to continue to absorb what the coaches want them to do. When it worked it was fun to watch, and if they smooth out the kinks we can give the best defenses in the country fits.

We need to be able to run the ball more consistently, and just as important, we need to be able to throw the ball over the middle of the field. Specially in the redzone. It's like that part of the field did not exist. Last two games with Walford it was better, but man alive it was frustrating there for a while...

Advertisement

Sorry but the stats simply don't support your theory. The first game of the season Miami rushed the ball more times than any time other than the final game against Duke. At no point in time was Miami more committed to the run at the end of the season or the beginning of the season. In fact, UNC was the game where Miami committed to the run which game #7 "45 rushes" and we lost. Please go to ncaa.org to verify.

Sounds good but it simply isn't true...

I'll trust what I saw the last 3 or 4 games. We were more committed to the run consistently throughout those games than we were in the previous several games where we didn't commit at all. We might have mixed some runs in in those games, but the stats don't tell you everything. We definitely used Duke more between the tackles, and that's where he's best despite his lack of size. We weren't just pitching it wide to him every time he ran the ball like we were earlier in the year. We went with a more power running approach, and it worked.

The hiring outside your comfort zone is stupid. If they fit the mold of the personality and complement the other coaches on staff, than that coach is a good fit, regardless of his schematic philosophy. You think Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn had the same football philosophies?

The hiring outside your comfort zone is stupid. If they fit the mold of the personality and complement the other coaches on staff, than that coach is a good fit, regardless of his schematic philosophy. You think Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn had the same football philosophies?

The HC needs to be comfortable with his assistants, and they need to be able to work together well. But I understand your point. Hire the best guys available, but make sure they fit in, or else there will be problems. I get the feeling Drip hated Shannvo when he was the OC, and it showed. Those guys could barely tolerate each other, and the morale was in the toilet.

Not just running the ball the last 3 or 4 games, how about a TE sighting? Changes everything IMO.

Advertisement
Back