Donna Dangles: We Skate

Tim Reynolds said on WQAM that his impression from the press conference was that Mark Emmert is scrambling to save his own job more than he's concerned with the Miami investigation running its proper course

the longer this stays in the public forum the greater public relations disaster for the NCAA,

U basketball is going strong, and so will stay in the public eye for weeks. at its heel is this "corupt ethics investigation investigates corupt ethics" story, and it won't fade.

If emmert resigns it just generates more bad press for the NCAA. they can't win.

If they have brain one they will settle this thing, now!

Advertisement
Tim Reynolds said on WQAM that his impression from the press conference was that Mark Emmert is scrambling to save his own job more than he's concerned with the Miami investigation running its proper course

the longer this stays in the public forum the greater public relations disaster for the NCAA,

U basketball is going strong, and so will stay in the public eye for weeks. at its heel is this "corupt ethics investigation investigates corupt ethics" story, and it won't fade.

If emmert resigns it just generates more bad press for the NCAA. they can't win.

If they have brain one they will settle this thing, now!

I was skeptical that the NCAA just had some idiots working for them (kids out of law school) but this reeks of bias now. A bias to bring us down. They need this of their table ASAP.

The truth is that no one knows.

The Cadwalader report says that enforcement did not violate any NCAA bylaws, but breached ethical standards that should govern investigations. It appears that the NCAA has excised substantial parts of what would be the NOA directed to UM because of the ethical breaches and things like the entirety of Sean Allen's testimony will be out.

My guess is that the NCAA has to save face by continuing and concluding the process and that its findings ultimately will justify the bowl bans we put in place, plus maybe some small scholarship losses and a perhaps a period of probation. I don't know what happens to any coaches involved in the investigation.

My guess is that the NCAA has to save face by continuing and concluding the process and that its findings ultimately will justify the bowl bans we put in place, plus maybe some small scholarship losses and a perhaps a period of probation. I don't know what happens to any coaches involved in the investigation.

I don't know if the NCAA even has the leverage to get the bold in a settlement.

i dont think we even get that scholarships judging by what golden said. assuming UM will appeal anything that is thrown at them

Advertisement
Why would anything obtained by Nijjer ( spelling) be allowed to stay in the NOA. The evidence he obtained in bankruptcy proceeding was deemed tainted, why not everything else?

The question to me is what does Miami do next? Do they really know what the NCAA is doing with this case? I would be ****ed if Shalala wasn't working some sort of settlement behind closed doors.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The worst NCAA violations occur at schools in the SEC and other major programs. I know for a fact (because I know the players) that Alabama, Tennessee and Florida State have used a loophole in the system where they have the players' parents sign legal adoption papers. The player is then given benefits, including cash and cars, from their adopted parents (boosters) without penalty. They NCAA has all kinds of ridiculous rules but they do not limit gifts given from parents. This has been going on for years. So if you want a real story, just find out which players have been recently adopted, you would be shocked.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't know if the NCAA even has the leverage to get the bold in a settlement.

I don't either--that's why I included the "maybe" and "perhaps." :)

I'm not entirely sure if there will be a settlement, at least in public. That would set a bad precedent for the NCAA. The NCAA might be more inclined to work out something private and have it play out in the process. I would, if I were the NCAA and I could arrange that. Whatever I did, I would use UM's cooperation as a substantial mitigating factor to motivate other institutions to show the same level of cooperation.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...unches+external+review+of+enforcement+program

The Teleconference was intended to shed light on how the NCAA was handling its current internal investigations and was supposed to address how the enforcement process works in these special cases. The Link above directs you to an article regarding the conference.

I listened to the 30 minute clip the played on radio and was utterly disgusted! Mark Emmert was completely unprepared to answer half the questions thrown at him and even handed a few off to some of the other NCAA officials who were present with him. At one point in the interview he even said "he was not well versed" in how some levels of the NCAA approve funding and expenditure processes. This is the PRESIDENT of the NCAA and he does not know some of the specifics of a process such as how to ask for or spend money. When asked about how much of the fault lies on him he skirted around the question saying the board of executives will determine whether or not he should be disciplined. He was also asked about threat letters sent to UM Alumni and to paraphrase his response he basically said: This teleconference is not intended to go into specifics about NCAA violations, it is intended to generally analyze how the enforcement process works.

To add insult to injury, not only did we find out a few weeks back that the NCAA ILLEGALLY payed Shapiro's lawyer to obtain information, in the teleconference, it was also revealed that the NCAA spent $8,000 on a pre-paid phone in order to directly contact Nevin Shapiro. Why use a pre-paid phone? Oh, i dont know maybe so that no one would find out. This investigation is quickly getting out of hand even more than it already was and they are trying to feed us BS percentages like, "only 20%" of the information collected was tainted.

What should we all learn from this... The NCAA clearly does not practice what it preaches and it simply cannot be trusted. As much as i want this process to end, i would be very surprised if UM does not "go to war" with the NCAA.

Let me know what you guys are thinking, because I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. GO CANES, and to **** with this witch hunt!! :neonu:

during/after his bankruptcy case is going on and not have that money frozen/confiscated, by the bankruptcy committee trying to liquidate his assets to pay back the victims? that almost seems like the Feds should be thinking about a case against the NCAA?

Advertisement
ANy info that led to any other depositions or evidence obtained by interviews that was based on Sean Allen's original testimony can not be used. No way that is just 20 percent of what they have.

Advertisement
His attorney has to apply for payment from a bankruptcy trustee. She is then paid from the assets of the estate. Since she was also being paid by the NCAA, you would have to assume she billed NCAA for $57K AS THEIR ATTORNEY.

We aren't getting anything more than what we've already self-imposed.

The NCAA needs to get ready, because there will be a lot of schools after them after the truth comes out. It seems to me thr NCAA is hiding a lot of mistakes to the public, because they are showing everyone they wanted to hit us hard. The truth will come out. Emmert should be forced to resighn, he is completly imcompetent! Miami will fight this and win! I am ****ed off that this is happening and the media, which killed Miami when the yahoo report came out, isnt killing the ncaa for this debacle.

The NCAA needs to get ready, because there will be a lot of schools after them after the truth comes out. It seems to me thr NCAA is hiding a lot of mistakes to the public, because they are showing everyone they wanted to hit us hard. The truth will come out. Emmert should be forced to resighn, he is completly imcompetent! Miami will fight this and win! I am ****ed off that this is happening and the media, which killed Miami when the yahoo report came out, isnt killing the ncaa for this debacle.

What's that ****** Robinson gotta say now?

Advertisement
Back