Donell Harris (New Thread)

Advertisement
Very insightful interview. His dad makes some great points.

2 things.

One is he talks about UM needing to get back to the old school and building the team up to be a championship. Well it starts with players like his son committing to the U and helping the staff recruit like the old school Canes did. He seems to want the U to be great again but isn't willing to have his son help build it. Whats was special about the U is highly rated kids couldn't come in and think they were going to just start. They had to work for it. They took pride in helping bring an NC to Miami!!!

Second the crybaby act of him posting the Tide emoji tells me he's still very immature and doesn't quite know how life works yet. His dad should have nipped that right in the butt.

Can someone explain to me how exactly a local kid grows up here in a supposed family of diehard Canes fans and his pops has no issue in admitting that his boy really likes UiF?

At this point I'd PREFER that just being casting a line and hoping to reel in a bag rather than being based on any sort of actual fact.

Advertisement
No disrespect to Harris Sr but couldn't disagree more with his bag comment. Like Ive previously stated, kids , Bama, Clemson, LSU, a&m and others before returning to prominence weren't held to this standard of "win first and I'll come" from these kids so why is Miami? Those bags ALWAYS talk. LOUDLY. And again, how does the winning happen if they won't come?

Of course there is some truth in what he’s saying, excuses always have some truth in them but IMO that’s all this is, excuses. You can’t claim it’s about winning then bring up Brian Burns saying FSPOO sucked but he still got drafted high. If your son is good enough, your son will get drafted high. One of the few things NFL scouts don’t analyze is Win Loss records for DL. You can’t claim is about winning and bring up FSPOO or The Turds who we have a better record over the last several years than both of them.

You can’t talk about developing the player for the draft and then bring up UGA who has been recruiting DL at an elite level, yet not putting any of the high in the draft (the UM level player he later alludes too). You can’t complain about UM not talking to you (which I highly doubt) and then praise Alabama who you claim hasn’t spoken to you either. You can’t claim you are so proactive you always planned the reclassification yet you just figured out he should “enjoy the process”.

You can’t talk about one bad apple ruining the whole bunch yet consider the turds whose head coach just ignored a player’s request to get him out of a toxic situation that could have ruined his entire life, not just draft position. As if that was not bad enough, said coach blasted the former player as did ALL of his former teammates and blamed him for the ordeal. If fans criticizing your son after decommited (which I agree is focken ridiculous and some of these adults need to grow the fock up) then imagine your son going throw that Steele situation. FYI, the **** fans after that were also less than understanding.

Finally you CANT claim you’re a diehard Canes fan and EVER EVER EVER consider the Turds, especially with a UM offer on the table. It’s against a true Canes fan DNA. Well you COULD claim all these things but it just contradicts all the Facts you are supposedly presenting.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

@DMoney but it's just win with this kid right?

Was told by a BTW coach that mom and dad are divorcing. Mom was handing recruiting and now dad is pushing to get involved. Also side note. Mom was offered money to transfer him to Gulliver but dad wants him to stay at BTW. Some valid points by dad but not the whole story with UM recruiting.

This father holds the U up to a certain standard but doesn’t necessarily look at the reasons they are occurring. One of the main problems that has been hurting Cane players in the draft is they leave school to early. If McIntosh would have stayed in school and got stronger which was his main issues and why he was drafted so late. Look at Clemson last, had 4 seniors returning on the DL even though they could have left earlier.

Also, why then consider UGAy? UGAy has had like only 3 DL’s drafted in the past decade. I don’t buy for a second that bags aren’t influencing South Florida’s elite players. Do you really think the kids don’t know TC and TS got paid.....

I got a very negative vibe from this article ( the overbearing father), expecting schools to call and recruit him as much as they are recruiting there son.

Advertisement
Miami does not want the kid. PERIOD. Way overrated. There is a reason they are not calling him, they DON'T want him....Not even close as a prospect to Q. Williams. Now that D. Jackson has left as a coach there, no reason to continue with the charade . Why do think Miami was calling the DT for months almost every day (2021 kid Hundley no one knew anything about) and Harris daddy had't even talked with Baker, or Manny. Also, if you don't think Daddy hears Cha- Ching, you're mistaken.

Or because the NCAA doesn’t allow you to call 2021 prospects except for certain periods of time. Either other schools are breaking the rules or contacting him and his son only applies to Miami. Can’t talk to him unless he’s on campus. Now reclassifying is probably a weird territory for our staff and whether or not to communicate because he’s not technically qualified for the class yet.

Advertisement
"They're not going to get 5 star players going 7-6"

"They have to stop giving scholarships to lesser players"

It's one or the other. If top ranked kids don't want to sign with them because they went 7-6, are they just supposed to sit around and not sign anybody?

And dad also indicated for Miami to get “back,” the program can’t offer recruits that are not up to snuff.

“It is what it is when it comes to the University of Miami and what we need to do - we need to just win and recruit University of Miami kids,” Donell Sr. said. “Not everybody deserves a University of Miami scholarship. I’m just being straight up.”

I feel That

You have to be mindful of whom you evaluate and offer a scholarship to. But we also have to have contingencies in place and can't get overly picky on whom we offer or not offer.

Advertisement
"They're not going to get 5 star players going 7-6"

"They have to stop giving scholarships to lesser players"

It's one or the other. If top ranked kids don't want to sign with them because they went 7-6, are they just supposed to sit around and not sign anybody?

That's how I kinda read that as well. I mean its 6 one way and half a dozen the other.

He mentioned Miami type kids. Well in all honesty we try and keep the "Miami " kids home and they want to go play for Bama, UGA, Ohio St, LSU of the world. What are we suppose to do at that point and yes of course winning has a lot to do with it, but even Im not convinced winning will fix all that.

I mean lets be honest not everyone is on the take and in no way am I saying the Harris family is, but I look at it like this

School A: Has everything you desire in a program. You love school A and your kid loves it and the staff too

School B: Has everything that school A has, but they're offering some "extra" incentives that School A isn't....

Who do you choose and why? I'll be honest financially I am in a good place, but if I wasn't... I get it, understand it and hate it all together

Last edited:
"He wants his son on national TV, playing in big games, and to have a shot at being a first rounder. Not so hard to understand."

..and he can do every one of those things at Miami. The whole "first rounder" nonsense is just ridiculous. If you're good enough, you'll be a first rounder. When most of the good enough recruits go to Bama, Clemson, and UGA because they want to ride someone else's coattails, of course Miami isn't going to have many first rounders. If those recruits and families who "love" Miami want to see Miami have first rounders, then they need to get their asses to Miami and BE those first rounders.

I agree that if you're truly a first-round talent that you can be that anywhere.

BUT, ya'll are missing the point. There are plenty of times when a kid that is not a first-round talent is inexplicably taken in the 1st. At which schools is that more likely to happen? The ones that win like Clemson and Bama since the NFL gives those kids a bit more respect simply for being on those teams. If my goal is to get taken early in the NFL draft, regardless of if my talent level matches how early I was taken, going to a school like Bama or Clemson is a no brainer. Especially compared to how much money inept coaching has cost kids like Chick in recent years for us.

Advertisement
Back