Donell Harris Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say it’s harder to keep a diamond in the rough so to speak, under wraps these days with all the recruiting services, social media, camp circuits, etc?

Not disagreeing that coaches like Golden or Richt have mismanaged talent. I think part of the problem is Miami started to go down when the internet, camps, and scouting services started to become more and more popular.

It’s difficult to keep a Rousseau, Garvin, or Harvey on the down low where the poachers, street agents, and bagmen don’t catch a whiff of talent.

I fully believe schools like Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc are letting the Big 3 do their talent evaluations for them in a lot of cases. All 3 schools are fighting the same battles. Fifteen years ago all 3 got their share. Sure elite guys would leave once in a while. If you look at the Top 10 in state players almost none of them sign in state anymore.

I'm not so sure it's about finding a diamond in the rough or catching lightning in a bottle. I'm not even sure that years ago there were mis-evaluations of 3*s that should have been 5*'s. These are high school kids many of whom don't mature physically until they are seniors. Butch always held open spots for late senior season evaluations. Even the oft mentioned Sean Taylor blew up his senior year and was known nationally by mid-season.

I think it's more a question of knowing where our sweet spot is. It's the 4*s and high 3*s. And in So Fla there is a large enough pool that we can get our share. Every year someone starts a thread wondering how we overlooked a local guy of that type (e.g., Skai Moore, Antonio Brown) that blew up in college. Many of whom wanted to come here.

It's a question of getting the right ones and developing them . We've won championships with teams largely stocked with that type of talent. Bama, UG and Clemson are chasing the "elites" with their bags, not the 3* or 4* types. Miami competing with them is chasing fools gold. UM needs to lock up the core of their class with high 3s and 4s and have a few irons in the fire to cherry pick a few 5s and we'll be fine.

Advertisement
I'm not so sure it's about finding a diamond in the rough or catching lightning in a bottle. I'm not even sure that years ago there were mis-evaluations of 3*s that should have been 5*'s. These are high school kids many of whom don't mature physically until they are seniors. Butch always held open spots for late senior season evaluations. Even the oft mentioned Sean Taylor blew up his senior year and was known nationally by mid-season.

I think it's more a question of knowing where our sweet spot is. It's the 4*s and high 3*s. And in So Fla there is a large enough pool that we can get our share. Every year someone starts a thread wondering how we overlooked a local guy of that type (e.g., Skai Moore, Antonio Brown) that blew up in college. Many of whom wanted to come here.

It's a question of getting the right ones and developing them . We've won championships with teams largely stocked with that type of talent. Bama, UG and Clemson are chasing the "elites" with their bags, not the 3* or 4* types. Miami competing with them is chasing fools gold. UM needs to lock up the core of their class with high 3s and 4s and have a few irons in the fire to cherry pick a few 5s and we'll be fine.

Preach!

giphy.gif

So how the **** are we going to get past Clemson with the way we are recruiting?

How? With elite talent evaluation, elite scheming, and just as importantly.... a whole lot of balls bouncing our way at just the right times.

If we don’t get that, we won’t get past Clemson.

I think this is where you lose your audience ... winning will help us keep some guys from SFL but the majority of 5* guys will be bought and paid for and not at UM.

Where were the bags for Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Vernon Carey, Vince Wilfork, Antrel Rolle, Devin Hester, Mike Rumph and all the other South Florida stars we signed during that era? Those guys were national recruits.

The difference is the Miami brand still meant something back then. We were only a few years removed from dominance. Not 15 years.

Advertisement
And nobody believes in South Florida three stars more than me. I’ve beat that horse to death. But we need both to thrive.

Win with the guys we have, and use that momentum to get the superstars.

Very few people are going to work for the same organization their entire career, in any field. Why should you turn down a better offer?

Well most of us wouldn’t turn down an extra 10 million a year to stay in Utah as opposed to taking less money to go to Boston for some slightly better perks. Maybe a ring/maybe not. I’m sure a guy like Demarcus Cousins is regretting not doing a long term contract a year ago instead of ring chasing. That was my point.

If kids are that talented like Harris supposedly is. It doesn’t matter where he goes to school he will be a first rounder.

Where were the bags for Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Vernon Carey, Vince Wilfork, Antrel Rolle, Devin Hester, Mike Rumph and all the other South Florida stars we signed during that era? Those guys were national recruits.

The difference is the Miami brand still meant something back then. We were only a few years removed from dominance. Not 15 years.

You just don't know when to concede a point and move on.

The only one that was likely a 5* was Andre Johnson and its pretty widely accepted all those guys you mentioned got extra benefits which we *likely* can't provide now.

Most of those guys were 3-4* which are the type of players we hopefully have started to accumulate after great evaluations (Garvin, Greg R, Harvey).

The occasional 5* caliber player will refuse the $$$ (Lingard, Richards, Hall) but the vast majority take the $$$ and run.

The only one that was likely a 5* was Andre Johnson and its pretty widely accepted all those guys you mentioned got extra benefits which we *likely* can't provide now.

Most of those guys were 3-4* which are the type of players we hopefully have started to get after hopefully great evaluations.

Honest question: did you follow recruiting 19 years ago? Everything you typed is wrong.

Willis McGahee was a five star. Vernon Carey was the #1 OL in the nation and a consensus Top 20 prospect overall. Hester was a five star. Antrel Rolle was the highest rated prospect in South Florida. Wilfork and Rumph were Top 100 players.

All of these guys were "bag" guys. They all signed with Miami. And it wasn't because we had the biggest checkbook. We need to get the majority of the elite players down here to be great. We've done it before.

Advertisement

LOL. Another swing and a miss. That was 20 years ago. The recruiting game has evolved since then.

Programs weren't paying twenty years ago? Keep flailing.

If you think things are like they were twenty years ago, you lose all credibility.

Where have you been the last twenty years? You missed the revolution. It’s like you don’t get what’s happened the last 20 years.

It’s a different game now, and to deny it, is to deny reality.

If you think things are like they were twenty years ago, you lose all credibility.

Where have you been the last twenty years? You missed the revolution. It’s like you don’t get what’s happened the last 20 years.

It’s a different game now, and to deny it, is to deny reality.

What revolution? Paying players? Have you ever heard of Southern Methodist?

Alabama got busted for paying players in 1995 and then again in 2001. None of this is new.

Advertisement
Honest question: did you follow recruiting 19 years ago? Everything you typed is wrong.

Willis McGahee was a five star. Vernon Carey was the #1 OL in the nation and a consensus Top 20 prospect overall. Hester was a five star. Antrel Rolle was the highest rated prospect in South Florida. Wilfork and Rumph were Top 100 players.

All of these guys were "bag" guys. They all signed with Miami. And it wasn't because we had the biggest checkbook. We need to get the majority of the elite players down here to be great. We've done it before.

Actually I did. I went to Miami from 90-94 and been a season ticket holder and avid follow of the program since the 80's.

Every one of those players was likely paid/given extra benefits by Miami which we can no longer do while at the same time all those $EC programs used to pay and obviously continue to pay.

It still proves my point that out of all of the great players that came through Miami from 2000-2005 that the only south FL guys (even counting Palm Beach Cty which was not considered an extension of Dade/Broward like it is today) that were real 5* rated type players were ....

Johnson
Hester
Willie Williams
McGahee (top 50 but not sure if considered 5*)
Charlie Jones

The reality is that your "win and they will come" mantra will apply to the 4* south FL guys but the 5* guys we will continue to regularly miss on b/c of the ca$h.

Advertisement
Every one of those players was likely paid/given extra benefits by Miami which we can no longer do.

In other words, pure speculation based on nothing.

Did you know that the 1999 class was ranked #1 in nation? The highest rated players in that class (Carey, AJ, Geathers) were all South Florida guys.

In other words, pure speculation based on nothing.

Did you know that the 1999 class was ranked #1 in nation? The highest rated players in that class (Carey, AJ, Geathers) were all South Florida guys.

You got me. None of the recruits/players in 1999-2006 got any payments whatsoever and we got more than 50% of the top 5 rated players from Dade/Broward/Palm Beach every year right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back