Donaldson and Herbert outline progress on O-Line

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson has spent most of his career as a guard; however, he has played the past week at center with Corey Gaynor out.

“As soon as coach (Butch) Barry got here he told us a story of how he only had three centers, all three got hurt in a game so he had to put somebody else inconsistent at center,” Donaldson said. “So, his plan from the beginning was to have five centers at all times. Even when Corey gets back he said I might have a job at center still, just in case to prepare for game situations.”

Despite a lack of experience at the spot, Donaldson is comfortable at center and it has forced him to learn more of the offense as well.

“I’m just learning the whole offense, the bigger picture. I’m doing well,” Donaldson said. “It’s different, I have to make calls, help my teammates out. Being at center, talking to my teammates, I’m making sure we’re all on the same page.”

Does he see a clear starting 5 beginning to emerge on the O-Line?

“It’s always tough, we have 15 guys that show potential and can play,” Donaldson said. “With the injuries, we find out who is tough, who will step up. Last Saturday we stepped up, made big contributions, actually made good plays.”

Donaldson’s backup at center has been grad transfer senior Tommy Kennedy, who noticeably struggled early in the spring. However, Donaldson sees Kennedy as improving his game since he’s been at Miami.

“He’s getting better every day.”

**Sophomore OL Kai-Leon Herbert has been taking steps to win the battle at right tackle this spring and has spent a lot of time working with the ones for the first time in his UM career.

“I think I’ve progressed,” Herbert said. “I’m really loving the way the spring has gone for the O line - it’s a lot more competition now. It’s really been good. Right tackle, I would say I feel comfortable now with what I’m learning. I feel like this group is going to be pretty good.”

Injuries have held Herbert back since the beginning of his career, and he has struggled putting on strength since tearing his labrum in his shoulder in high school.

“I played the first game as a freshman and tore it again, took a medical redshirt year,” Herbert said. “This past year, I was looking to play a lot more and I tore my lateral meniscus before the beginning of the year, came back and re-aggravated it. Injuries have really been a factor in where I’ve been these two years. But I’m really confident in this year, am trying to compete to get on the field. That’s all I want to do right now.”

How is his health now?

“My knee gets sore, everyone gets sore, but that’s football,” Herbert said. “I feel great, a lot better than I have the last two years.”

UM has shaken up their line by moving Navaughn Donaldson to center due to injuries and Herbert has liked the move so far.

“With him at center, I feel confident in Navaughn,” Herbert said.

True freshman OL Zion Nelson has come in more prepared than expected and has shown flashes of his potential as an early enrollee this spring.

“He’s a beast, is going to be great,” Herbert said of Nelson. “He came in kind of skinny, is starting to put on a lot of weight. He’s competed his tail off ever since he got here, is only getting us better.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
We have an offensive line of guys that are all best suited at center. Wonderful.
That is not the case... Barry is trying to get enough depth where even if 3 centers go down, others know the position enough where its not a complete liability.

Plus if others learn the position, they can understand the play calling better.

Zion will get drafted and play in the NFL , he has the heart of a WARRIOR knowing 99% of the people including here laughed at him made fun of him as a DIV.III player a wasted commit.

Now we got a DUDE who is laying claim and taking on all comers , a fire burns in this kid and people are freaking out......he's a beast in formation.

GOOD FOR HIM AGAINST ALL ODDS EVEN HIS OWN CANE FANS.....LOOKS LIKE HE'S READ THE POST HERE AND IS RESPONDING.

GOCANES

I hope so. I would hate to have to fold the program as some demanded if he doesn't work out.

When I down vote I validate it , why would you say this about supporting this kid as he improves , this program isn't riding on Zion I would hope his fire is contagious and hope he plays this year ,don't be like that we got some good things brewing here be supportive :)

GOCANES

When I down vote I validate it , why would you say this about supporting this kid as he improves , this program isn't riding on Zion I would hope his fire is contagious and hope he plays this year ,don't be like that we got some good things brewing here be supportive :)

GOCANES

It was just a joke poking fun at some of the knee jerk know it alls on here who mocked his recruitment, saying it was time to fold the program if we signed him.

I had no problem with it at all and after seeing his basketball highights was blown away by his athelticism. i thought he could potentially be a steal and have been high on him ever since.

Advertisement
That is not the case... Barry is trying to get enough depth where even if 3 centers go down, others know the position enough where its not a complete liability.

Plus if others learn the position, they can understand the play calling better.
Especially since center has the most work to do regarding understanding who everyone needs to block. The center is usually the captain of the OLine and needs to know everyones assignments so he can make his calls.

Zion will get drafted and play in the NFL , he has the heart of a WARRIOR knowing 99% of the people including here laughed at him made fun of him as a DIV.III player a wasted commit.

Now we got a DUDE who is laying claim and taking on all comers , a fire burns in this kid and people are freaking out......he's a beast in formation.

GOOD FOR HIM AGAINST ALL ODDS EVEN HIS OWN CANE FANS.....LOOKS LIKE HE'S READ THE POST HERE AND IS RESPONDING.

GOCANES

LoL, i was one of the only ones who said Zion was going to ball out before he signed his L.O.I. alot of these clown posters going off on coach richt and coach searels like they didnt know what they were doing when they got em, that guy's athleticism shows up on tape and he's a Hurricane between the ears as well. The star whores needed prozac once he signed now watch how those same hypocrites start jocking! I also pointed out that herbert and campbell would more than likely be the starter at right tackle, the clowns popped up again, cause they were high on the transfer kennedy for some odd reason. To many posters on here who simply dont know football, congratulations to herbert for finally being healthy enuff to start showing his talent.
This is what i posted about nelson way back when, its not a game:

Zion is the biggest positive and Kennedy/Reed tie for the biggest disappointments. I really thought Reed would be a clear starter by now. At this point it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see our lowest rated OL, Clark from the clay, start by mid-season. That boy already has the size and played against some big talented dudes.

Advertisement
If you have the frame to carry the weight, are athletic, and can learn the right techniques you can be successful as an offensive lineman. I know it’s not that simple, but it’s good to take chances on guys who have those qualities that might not be highly rated coming out every once in a while

GOCANES
Disrespect is a great motivator

Zion is the biggest positive and Kennedy/Reed tie for the biggest disappointments. I really thought Reed would be a clear starter by now. At this point it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see our lowest rated OL, Clark from the clay, start by mid-season. That boy already has the size and played against some big talented dudes.
Reed hasn't even been on campus 1 full year yet. Gotta give him more time. But kennedy, yeah, he looks overwhelmed at Miami.

Advertisement
It never fails. Half these dudes give up on every OL/DL that doesn't become a starter within their first 12 months on campus
Back up. I'm not giving up on him. I'm surprised he's not an unquestioned starter already. The man looks like your prototype NFL guard and had the film to back it up.

Advertisement
Back