Donaldson and Herbert outline progress on O-Line

Zion played highschool football for Sumter which is about an hour from where I live. My highschool plays Sumter every year in the regular season. He played tight end before moving to left tackle. Kid is no doubt athletic as ****. I hope he continues to work hard and be a valuable lineman for us

Advertisement
Eric Winston had a transition year where he played LT for us at 280 and he graded out fairly well. I personally like my o-line lighter and more athletic.
As did Fox. Good size is important, but a technician is equally important
Toss in athletic, and you've got it
285 w brains and feet

I think the offensive line will improve from last year. That might not be a hot take but it could be the key to our success this year. If Scaife, Campbell, Reed, Hillery, Herbert, and Zion all take a jump or two, that would be huge. We need 8 guys who are capable of playing in the ACC.

Tyron Smith, arguably the best left tackle in the NFL the last couple years, was a 5 star recruit from California and he has similar measurables to Zion. According to 247, he was 6'5, 260. Zion's already 270 and its not even fall yet. I think he will surprise a ton of the recruiting experts

Zion played highschool football for Sumter which is about an hour from where I live. My highschool plays Sumter every year in the regular season. He played tight end before moving to left tackle. Kid is no doubt athletic as ****. I hope he continues to work hard and be a valuable lineman for us
who'd u play for

Advertisement
oh **** gaffney yea im in greenville county lol i never thought anyone from gaffney would be rooting for the canes bc the only other canes fan ik in greenville is originally from cuba and lived in miami before greenville
Yeah man I’ve lived in gaffney my whole life. Graduated in 2001. Went to school and graduated with Rocky McIntosh. I’m in Greenville everyday for work lol. 85 is a mess. Lol. There’s a few of us cans fans in gaffney.

Advertisement
Yeah man I’ve lived in gaffney my whole life. Graduated in 2001. Went to school and graduated with Rocky McIntosh. I’m in Greenville everyday for work lol. 85 is a mess. Lol. There’s a few of us cans fans in gaffney.
Yea my dad worked with rocky’s COusin and I actually got his autograph that way and yea don’t even get me started on 85 and just roads in general god man

"Last Saturday we stepped up, made big contributions, actually made good plays.”

How about that.

Zion will get drafted and play in the NFL , he has the heart of a WARRIOR knowing 99% of the people including here laughed at him made fun of him as a DIV.III player a wasted commit.

Now we got a DUDE who is laying claim and taking on all comers , a fire burns in this kid and people are freaking out......he's a beast in formation.

GOOD FOR HIM AGAINST ALL ODDS EVEN HIS OWN CANE FANS.....LOOKS LIKE HE'S READ THE POST HERE AND IS RESPONDING.

GOCANES
I said it in other threads where I pointed out that my beloved Philadelphia Eagles (rumor is the Eagles are trading for Duke Johnson) All-Pro LT Jason Peters was a TE in college. Like Peters, Zion played TE before moving to LT. The blue print for LT is to get these athletic O-lineman that have the frame grow. These guys that played baskeball, soccer, tight end, etc. have great footwork and speed that you can't teach. You need this type to compete against the freakish DEs like Garvin and Rousseau.

I truly believe this is how we are now recruiting LT as Adam ElGammal from the 2019 class played basketball for one of the nations biggest HS programs at Christ The King in NYC.

Advertisement
It never fails. Half these dudes give up on every OL/DL that doesn't become a starter within their first 12 months on campus

IF you've got a good team with existing depth you shouldn't expect to have a lot of 1st year starters

Anyway it's been my experience that of all positions, O linemen take the longest to make the transition from HS to College

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson has spent most of his career as a guard; however, he has played the past week at center with Corey Gaynor out.

“As soon as coach (Butch) Barry got here he told us a story of how he only had three centers, all three got hurt in a game so he had to put somebody else inconsistent at center,” Donaldson said. “So, his plan from the beginning was to have five centers at all times. Even when Corey gets back he said I might have a job at center still, just in case to prepare for game situations.”

Despite a lack of experience at the spot, Donaldson is comfortable at center and it has forced him to learn more of the offense as well.

“I’m just learning the whole offense, the bigger picture. I’m doing well,” Donaldson said. “It’s different, I have to make calls, help my teammates out. Being at center, talking to my teammates, I’m making sure we’re all on the same page.”

Does he see a clear starting 5 beginning to emerge on the O-Line?

“It’s always tough, we have 15 guys that show potential and can play,” Donaldson said. “With the injuries, we find out who is tough, who will step up. Last Saturday we stepped up, made big contributions, actually made good plays.”

Donaldson’s backup at center has been grad transfer senior Tommy Kennedy, who noticeably struggled early in the spring. However, Donaldson sees Kennedy as improving his game since he’s been at Miami.

“He’s getting better every day.”

**Sophomore OL Kai-Leon Herbert has been taking steps to win the battle at right tackle this spring and has spent a lot of time working with the ones for the first time in his UM career.

“I think I’ve progressed,” Herbert said. “I’m really loving the way the spring has gone for the O line - it’s a lot more competition now. It’s really been good. Right tackle, I would say I feel comfortable now with what I’m learning. I feel like this group is going to be pretty good.”

Injuries have held Herbert back since the beginning of his career, and he has struggled putting on strength since tearing his labrum in his shoulder in high school.

“I played the first game as a freshman and tore it again, took a medical redshirt year,” Herbert said. “This past year, I was looking to play a lot more and I tore my lateral meniscus before the beginning of the year, came back and re-aggravated it. Injuries have really been a factor in where I’ve been these two years. But I’m really confident in this year, am trying to compete to get on the field. That’s all I want to do right now.”

How is his health now?

“My knee gets sore, everyone gets sore, but that’s football,” Herbert said. “I feel great, a lot better than I have the last two years.”

UM has shaken up their line by moving Navaughn Donaldson to center due to injuries and Herbert has liked the move so far.

“With him at center, I feel confident in Navaughn,” Herbert said.

True freshman OL Zion Nelson has come in more prepared than expected and has shown flashes of his potential as an early enrollee this spring.

“He’s a beast, is going to be great,” Herbert said of Nelson. “He came in kind of skinny, is starting to put on a lot of weight. He’s competed his tail off ever since he got here, is only getting us better.”
If we can get our OL to play like our DL then we are in the game!! Trenches is where the games are won and lost.

I said it in other threads where I pointed out that my beloved Philadelphia Eagles (rumor is the Eagles are trading for Duke Johnson) All-Pro LT Jason Peters was a TE in college. Like Peters, Zion played TE before moving to LT. The blue print for LT is to get these athletic O-lineman that have the frame grow. These guys that played baskeball, soccer, tight end, etc. have great footwork and speed that you can't teach. You need this type to compete against the freakish DEs like Garvin and Rousseau.

I truly believe this is how we are now recruiting LT as Adam ElGammal from the 2019 class played basketball for one of the nations biggest HS programs at Christ The King in NYC.
Joe Staley was also a TE, at the beginning of his career at Central Michigan, and then he bulked up.

Advertisement
It never fails. Half these dudes give up on every OL/DL that doesn't become a starter within their first 12 months on campus
It's because they have never played sports. Look at the porsters who do this often. Privileged dudes who just happened to like the same team and sport that we do.

There are some things ghat cannot be taught. Foot work can be but having nimble feet cannot. I agree that a good starting point for an LT is to have a basketball or soccer background. The game continues to evolve with even more emphasis being placed on athleticism. I like the staff;s focus.

Zion will have real nice story to tell when it's all said and done of his career on how he wasn't wanted by the home town Cane fans and was picked on as a worthless pick by Cane fans and early in his freshmen year became a starter and left early for the NFL couple years later.

If I was Zion I would just focus and embrace my teammates and coaches and leave the Cane fans alone and stay away from them just smile wave an move on .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back