Don Chaney Jr is back

He’s almost certainly a great kid and has overcome a lot of adversity, and clearly is a fan favorite here, but I personally don’t see him as being better than the other backs based on game 1. Without the touchdown run, he averaged 2.5 yards per carry behind the same offensive line that the other guys were averaging 6-10 yards per carry behind. Maybe he’ll emerge as the best back, but it felt like he was an easy tackle, and went down on runs similar to ones the other backs were finding lanes and breaking tackles on.
Did you take out the other rb best runs also to compare, lmaoo..

Advertisement
we have a really good backfield and i hope they all continue to eat. don’t see any point in calling for changes in the rotation based on one game where everyone was awesome lol

there will be attrition because only so many mouths can be fed, but that's OK because Mario will keep reloading

just hope citizen doesn't bounce after this year

So the guy coming off an injury who averaged the least average yards should be RB1?

How about letting him ease back into the game and give him an opportunity to earn the top spot? Because right now we have a loaded backfield and don't have to wear down any of our RBs with too many carries. We can also hit our opponents with a fresh RB every quarter.

Did you take out the other rb best runs also to compare, lmaoo..
If you take out the longest runs of Parrish and Fletcher they're still over 6 yards per carry... "lmaoo.."

Ajay Allen is just under 4. But, yeah, Don is still pretty significantly the lowest YPC no matter how you slice it.

Advertisement
I’m a Chaney fan but he gone have to make his runs count next week. I could easily see him only getting 2 or 3 touches if he isn’t effective

Let’s wait until we see him against a real team, that wasn’t overmatched, and exhausted late in the 4th quarter. I’m rooting for him hard, but lets hold off a bit for now.

So happy to see this guy healthy and dragging tacklers. Long hard road for this young man. Stud RB
If he stays healthy, I see Fletcher-Chaney emerging as primary 1-2 punch.
U betta say it!!!!! Da Don is back! I couldn’t agree with u more buddy! Go Canes🙌🏾

Advertisement
He flashed a bit vs backups of a MAC school and Chaney fans think he should be RB1 which makes no sense.

The saying "The backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town." works for most schools except Miami, where its RB4.

So the guy coming off an injury who averaged the least average yards should be RB1?

How about letting him ease back into the game and give him an opportunity to earn the top spot? Because right now we have a loaded backfield and don't have to wear down any of our RBs with too many carries. We can also hit our opponents with a fresh RB every quarter.
Agree JD. Remember I said will emerge as 1-2 punch. I think Chaney will earn his spot.

Should script plays where all 4 are in the back field and it’s a toss up which gets the ball. Keep the defense on their toes.
1693867531736.gif

Advertisement
Overall having 4 good capable RB's is a good thing. It was great to see Chaney back on the field and that TD run flashed his potential.

But in trying to figure out the rotation - it might be a bit of a nightmare.

We can rotate 4 in blowouts.

But for most games, it's hard enough to rotate 3. Most games we'll use 2 main RB's.

So when the rotation tightens up against teams like Texas A&M this week - it'll be interesting to see who gets cut out of the rotation when all 4 have pretty good cases for playing time.

Fans should be prepared for some "this rotation makes no sense" games because it's really, really hard to get 4 guys touches. Whoever you like best, be prepared for them to get cut out of some games this year.

Can't speak for anyone else. But I've never been a Parrish hater. Kid is a stud. All our RBs are studs. I'm just more of a Chaney fan. Have been since I saw his HS tape and he had a few breakout runs his true freshman year before getting injured.

To your point, there was nothing that I saw that truly separated the 4 runners during the game. If anything, by my calculus, Fletcher ran the best, followed by Parrish, Allen and Chaney. I rank Chaney last because his pop came after we'd worn down that team and they were on their last gasp. But I firmly believe Chaney will keep getting better, and I personally think he has the highest ceiling. A little bit of confidence goes a long way. Which is why I'm so happy he had that one breakout TD run.

What impresses me so much about these four guys is that none of them seem selfish, they genuinely seem to enjoy playing together and supporting each other. Maybe Dawson can figure out a way to get al of them burn and all of them into the League? I hope so.

One of them might have to redshirt..

Advertisement
Back