Don Chaney 2020 (video)

Watch the play in his highlight at 1:39. Then watch 5 similar housecalls in Duke's tape. All I'm sayin. He didn't crease a defense with blistering acceleration and/or crazy top end speed. Not once all season did he hit a crease and go and leave guys whiffing . Doesn't mean he can't or he won't just that I didn't see it outta him in his freshman highlight. Don't get me wrong lotsa good and a lot to be excited about but I hated the amount of trash people talked about Duke while he was here and since he's left and I'm not going to blindly hop on the Chaney hypetrain without perspective.

As Miami fans we should know what elite really looks like and when I saw that tape I said really good maybe even great but lookin at Dukes highlight it is hard to argue Chaney looks more explosive and dynamic.
You can’t compare the two it’s not even close. One was on a much better offense. Duke was just a very very special player And one of the best ever play at the U!!

Chaney has all the tools to be one of the greats just needs a good OL and some WR for the D to respect.

Advertisement
I love Chaney...His final play of the year (swing pass to Okie State where he foolishly cut back inside and got held to a 1 or 2 yard gain instead of taking the easy 5-6 outside that we needed like oxygen) left a sour taste in my mouth...But this kid is a monster talent. Knew about his speed, but he runs violently too...If he stays healthy look out.

i will never forget his performance at Boston College his first year. They said before the game he was "special". what they didn't say was that he was REALLY F@CKING SPECIAL. our most talented and effective runner in 15 years. he had everything, vision, cuts, speed, quickness, avoidance skills, pass blocking, intelligence, catching abilities, leadership etc.
Please don’t forget the best **** stiff arm in the game. Bar none.

For those fools with short memories that like to talk ****. Here's what our last great back looked like as a TF. I think what Chaney lacks in short area burst and long speed he can make up for in strength and toughness. Duke was bad though and doesn't get enough credit for how good he was right out the gate.

Had such a great stiffarm

Advertisement
For those fools with short memories that like to talk ****. Here's what our last great back looked like as a TF. I think what Chaney lacks in short area burst and long speed he can make up for in strength and toughness. Duke was bad though and doesn't get enough credit for how good he was right out the gate.

an all-time great and a highlight waiting to happen
But.... Chaney may ultimately be a better pro running back as a result of his size

Well deserved post!! Top 20 all-time Cane easily and that’s saying something.

Elite! There’s a Heisman in his future. He better be NUMBER ONE next season! If he’s not, I’ll literally lose my mind. He’ll be seven pounds heavier and a lot more pist off! Count on it.

Advertisement
I see Chaney more as a Najee Harris kinda back. This season he showed lots of talent, but he'll need time to build a powerhouse body to really showcase his skill.

Advertisement
an all-time great and a highlight waiting to happen
But.... Chaney may ultimately be a better pro running back as a result of his size
I agree with this take.

Because Duke didn't become a 3 down RB in the NFL, it's skewed people's memory of just how dominant a RB he was in college. And that sucks.

I'm a huge fan of Chaney - but IMO the RB comparisons in this thread for Chaney are too high. Chaney becoming a Lamar Miller type of talent is a more realistic comparison. I was expecting a little more out of him as a Freshman, but he still had a good year and I think he can get there.

I said when we signed Chaney - the fans have tried to force the "next great Dade RB" title on players like Yearby, Walton, Harris - but those guys were never that type of talent level. Chaney legit has a chance to be though.

Chaney is the best combo of size, speed, athleticism and talent we've had at Miami in a while.

I agree with this take.

Because Duke didn't become a 3 down RB in the NFL, it's skewed people's memory of just how dominant a RB he was in college. And that sucks.

I'm a huge fan of Chaney - but IMO the RB comparisons in this thread for Chaney are too high. Chaney becoming a Lamar Miller type of talent is a more realistic comparison. I was expecting a little more out of him as a Freshman, but he still had a good year and I think he can get there.

I said when we signed Chaney - the fans have tried to force the "next great Dade RB" title on players like Yearby, Walton, Harris - but those guys were never that type of talent level. Chaney legit has a chance to be though.

Chaney is the best combo of size, speed, athleticism and talent we've had at Miami in a while.
Chaney has way more wiggle than Miller and is much stronger.

But they both have dealt with shoulder problems since HS so I guess they have that in common.

Advertisement
Watch the play in his highlight at 1:39. Then watch 5 similar housecalls in Duke's tape. All I'm sayin. He didn't crease a defense with blistering acceleration and/or crazy top end speed. Not once all season did he hit a crease and go and leave guys whiffing . Doesn't mean he can't or he won't just that I didn't see it outta him in his freshman highlight. Don't get me wrong lotsa good and a lot to be excited about but I hated the amount of trash people talked about Duke while he was here and since he's left and I'm not going to blindly hop on the Chaney hypetrain without perspective.

As Miami fans we should know what elite really looks like and when I saw that tape I said really good maybe even great but lookin at Dukes highlight it is hard to argue Chaney looks more explosive and dynamic.
This is an excellent take! Duke was sooo special from Day 1, and Chaney wasn't at that level this year. Hopefully he gets there.

The plays at 1:39 - you could see Chaney giving himself up at the end of some of his runs. The defenders didn't have to do anything, he was falling down on his own. That an area for improvement for Chaney.

I think Chaney has tons of talent - but the two things I want to see him work on is:

1) Conditioning - You could see him getting tired after a couple runs in a row. He seemed to get tired on his long runs, and looked more gassed than explosive when he got 15-20 yds down field.

2) Be a dog through the whole run. He was fighting like **** on most of his 5-10 yd runs. Once he got to 15 yds he seemed he happy he made it that far and didn't really have a plan in the open field. He needs to stay on his feet and keep attacking when he gets in the open field.

I think he'll get it, and this will naturally come as he gets both more mentally & physically mature and confident.

You can’t compare the two it’s not even close. One was on a much better offense. Duke was just a very very special player And one of the best ever play at the U!!

Chaney has all the tools to be one of the greats just needs a good OL and some WR for the D to respect.
Great RBs produce. Cook had a bad line towards the end of his FSU career.

Chaney has way more wiggle than Miller and is much stronger.

But they both have dealt with shoulder problems since HS so I guess they have that in common.
I agree - and Miller has more speed than Chaney.

I don't think Miller and Chaney are the same style wise - I'm talking talent level wise.

Miller is the only Miami RB in the last 15 years that became an NFL starting RB. I think Chaney has that Day 2 pick, NFL starter potential.

When your that good u deserve to start as a freshmen especially if your the best at your position on the roster.

Duke was a savage

Advertisement
Back