Doesn’t matter who the coach is until...

Advertisement
Judging by how many guys we put into the league, we get good enough talent to compete. We just don't develop our guys well, we don't give them solid schemes to succeed in, we don't make sure they got their assignments down cold and aren't running around like a Chinese fire drill. and when they don't we sit their asses down until they do.

We have not done a good job of coaching for a long time.

The 2000-2001 OL were as dominant and nasty as any line ever. Bc the head coach prioritized recruiting it and literally searched the entire continent for big nasties.

The 2001 line gelling together was probably one of the craziest instances of stars aligning that I've ever seen. McKinnie a JUCO transfer, Gonzalez and Bibla two guys with not a ton of big time offers, and Romberg and H-R were great...in Canada. How the **** that all came together is nothing if it 'aint a miracle. Was it Kehoe? Was it Butch? I'm not saying Davis couldn't recruit, but the scholarship restrictions did something to that man that turned him into Jimmy Johnson when it came to evaluating talent. Going forward, I'm not sure if he would've kept recruiting at that level if it wasn't out of panic and necessity, but we'll never know. That line was incredible.

The 2001 line gelling together was probably one of the craziest instances of stars aligning that I've ever seen. McKinnie a JUCO transfer, Gonzalez and Bibla two guys with not a ton of big time offers, and Romberg and H-R were great...in Canada. How the **** that all came together is nothing if it 'aint a miracle. Was it Kehoe? Was it Butch? I'm not saying Davis couldn't recruit, but the scholarship restrictions did something to that man that turned him into Jimmy Johnson when it came to evaluating talent. Going forward, I'm not sure if he would've kept recruiting at that level if it wasn't out of panic and necessity, but we'll never know. That line was incredible.

The similarity between that 2001 line and LSU today is that Tommy Moffitt played a hand in their development, strength, and conditioning. LSUs oline coach is probably better as well. In addition, they get better talent to start of with and train. Miami’s last good offensive line coach was Jeff Stoutland.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back