Does The O-Line Get Better Next Year?

LG and C were pathetic all year. LT was mediocre at best. The right side improved when they moved Donaldson back inside but still struggled, especially in pass protection.

Advertisement
I took a look at our offensive players by class earlier today. 52 Players on offense. 20 Freshmen, 8 Redshirt Freshmen, 8 Sophmores, 1 Redshirt Sophmore, 2 Juniors, 6 Redshirt Juniors, 2 Seniors, 5 Redshirt Seniors. That is a ton of youth to be effective on a consistent basis. It does explain how the offense was so behind the defense because it was mostly younger players out there that will need to grow their bodies. Here was the senior leadership in 2018. Malik, Chad Allen - WR don't recall him playing, Danny Dominguez - FB don't recall him playing, Tyler Gauthier, Jahair Jones, Tyree St. Louis, Darrell Langham. As the young guys grow and improve we should be better down the line.

This is a trick question because it cannot get worse.

I could have went in for Mahoney at UVA & BC from my seats & would have been as effective as him.

Yes the line will be better with Reed, Campbell, & maybe hopefully Gainer(where was he this year)/Herbert getting burn.

Stacy coaches like a stacy.

Only if every Bama OLr transfers to Miami.

Other than that realistic scenario, no, it will likely get worse.

Much worse.

To address the specific question on the OL, there are 5 true freshmen (Scaife, Reed, Golden, Griffith and Campbell), 3 redshirt freshmen (Dykstra, Lerman and Hillary), 3 sophmores (Donaldson, Herbert and Gaynor), 1 junior (Bar Milo), 3 RS Juniors (Boulware, Mahoney and George Brown). So we are going to need to rely on some of those young guys on the OL again to some extent next year.

Advertisement
So many variables. Different OC? Different position coach? Do we get a JuCo? Do we place our personnel in the right positions from jump?
I'd say it'll be difficult for them to look worse given they have a chance of not playing uphill, in the mud, with crosses on their backs and the opponents knowing what theyre doing. No one will convince me we didn't have a more talented OL than some of the teams who did better than we did in the ACC. If we need the healthy version of Cowboys' OL to produce more and look better, then the answer to the OP is an easy no.

To address the specific question on the OL, there are 5 true freshmen (Scaife, Reed, Golden, Griffith and Campbell), 3 redshirt freshmen (Dykstra, Lerman and Hillary), 3 sophmores (Donaldson, Herbert and Gaynor), 1 junior (Bar Milo), 3 RS Juniors (Boulware, Mahoney and George Brown). So we are going to need to rely on some of those young guys on the OL again to some extent next year.

How the **** is Milo a Jr?

That athlete was part of Big Wave 11 class. Been on squad for what, 7,8, 9 years now?

Advertisement
How the **** is Milo a Jr?

That athlete was part of Big Wave 11 class. Been on squad for what, 7,8, 9 years now?

That shocked the **** out me as well. He was recruited in 2015 and so this is his third year. Just another Golden left over. Don't underestimate the impact having holdovers has on a coach when they are recruiting in year three after the change. You can't fire them like in the NFL. So if you take a marginal player, and they don't want to leave you are stuck with them for a minimum of four years. With Bar it seems like he has been here forever and I can't remember him playing a down.

This is why coaches truly need 5 years to turn a program around. If the previous coach was a moron, like Al Golden, and he took players that just can't play at this level, as a coach, you are stuck with those players for at least four years. By year five, you should have 90% of your players in the system. It is no coincidence that in year 5 Butch had his best team at Miami. It takes time. I know we are impatient but if you want to be fair (and I know most here do not) you have to let the coach rebuild the roster with his guys without hold overs.

Lol now u know u haven’t seen me or a single soul on this board stick up for Searles.
Well u have said that the issue isn’t coaches, but a young team. I think u at least implied u don’t think coaching changes are needed.

Advertisement
LG and C were pathetic all year. LT was mediocre at best. The right side improved when they moved Donaldson back inside but still struggled, especially in pass protection.

You basically just said the entire line had issues.

Real problem is Searles

The body types this year were dreadful. I'd be satisfied with a group who look the part.

When the frames are that pathetic there is no need to watch individual players every play. I didn't and I'm glad I didn't.

Advertisement
Serious Question : Has any OL player gotten significantly better since Searles has been coaching here ?

He was the best we had and will be drafted. I think Donaldson played a lot better once he got re-settled inside. And I like Scaife a lot. But while I wouldn’t say any of them played to an acceptable level, St. Louis was the best of the bunch.

If Donaldson takes another step, Scaife does as well, and Gaynor can pick up at least be equal to Gauthier, that’s a start. But the LG spot was a nightmare. And who plays LT? We really really really really need to hit on a few of the young kids. Reed, Campbell, Herbert, and even Hillery were recruited by a lot of schools. Surely one or two of those kids can pull their weight? Lot of uncertainty, though.
Answer has to be JuCos or anyone else with the eligibility to play immediately!

IMO, it depends on if Gaynor can develop into the C we need. Gauthier was brutal at times this year.

Scaife, Reed, Donaldson, Gaynor, Campbell, Herbert, Boulware... the materials there.
Anybody ever ask if Gaynor can consistently snap the ball in a consistent manner? If your consistently run the quarterback from a shotgun/pistol position, it might be something that the center needs to do well.

Advertisement
Back