Does Miami win a NC this decade?

Next year, Morris plays like a first round pick. Duke wins a heisman and we hav a much better defense

Advertisement
If coach d can start putting that D together and golden keeps all the studs home I can't see us not winning one or at least sniffing at them

We are about two years out from competing for a NC under current trend. If everything holds together and coaching changes dont occur I dont see why we cant play for one within 4 years. I feel like this could be the turning point for the Canes this season. We will see how well the Golden one can develop the talent. He has the S&C under control, needs to get defense rollin but I can see a NC under his direction.

Advertisement
This decade....more than likely not. I don't feel too bad Notre Dame hasn't won a NC since 1988, Michigan hasn't won it since Charles Woodson (1997), Penn State hasn't won it since 1986, Georgia 1980, Tennessee 1998, Nebraska 1995.

Advertisement
Pick any decade and I'll say no.

Pure numbers game. In any given decade we're probably going to average 35/1 odds against winning a title every year. That might be kind. It's in the 50/1 to 75/1 range now, mostly on lingering name recognition. Rightfully it should be higher. Monster programs like Texas and Ohio State go decades without a title.

Losing the Orange Bowl was a massive setback. I was saying that when the Dolphins bolted in '87 and if anything I understated it. It's hilarious how many fans believe the home venue has no impact. We're playing in a home-neutral site dozens of miles from campus. Imagine the content laughter from the opposing team when they bus to the venue and it's in the middle of no where, other than a RaceTrac gas station. Granted, it's fairly impressive for a RaceTrac, although hardly the equivalent of a Flying J Plaza, my cross country choice.

I'm hoping to see one more championship in my lifetime. Fans who remember the '70s or earlier grasp how surreal our great run was, and that it's anything but a given to remotely approximate it, even in a blip.

tell us more about our future

Advertisement
After winning NCs in 3 consecutive decades (1980's, 1990's, 2000's), will Miami win another in the 2010's? Clock is ticking.

Looking down the road to our college football playoff matchup, I hope we don't draw the Buckeyes on New Year's Eve. First, I assume the Buckeyes will be #1 and be sent to the Cotton Bowl. Hopefully we will be the #2 or #3 seed which means we will get to play at home. We shouldn't have much trouble with an SEC or Pac 12 team at home. Still, the prospect of having to fly out to Glendale to play the Buckeyes is troubling. That trip would be a logistical nightmare for me at the first of the year. I'm not sure we can stop their running game, and I'd hate to spend that time and money to watch us lose to them in the desert again. Hopefully, they get picked off in the semi-final.

OTW got a revelation for an epic Title game of UM vs. Ohio State for the 2015 NC.

Not this decade, possibly the next decade but who knows. The program's fundamental weakness is a disinterested administration. You can only get so far when the higher ups don't invest in the program. Our initial run was supposed to end in the 90s and the sanctions were supposed to kill us.

If not from a grand slam hire in Butch Davis (perfect coach at the perfect time) our program would be on a 20+ year down streak. This program has generally defied the notion that you can't win with an incompetent BOT and administration. We are an outlier. So while we may hire a solid coach and be competitive winning another championship would be extremely difficult under our current circumstances. Jankovich is the one that made the great hires and guided the athletic department. If we want to win another championship it would require another great Athletic Director. That's where it all starts.

Last edited:
I would say no. College football has changed into a big business. We prospered inspite of administration. Now, it's very difficult because of all the money that has to go into a college football program in order for it to be successful.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back