Does Mario use another Saban tactic and bring on Dana Holgerson as an analyst?

Caneofcanes

Sophomore
Saban the GOAT CFB coach has been hiring former HC’s for years as analysts. Giving a place to rebuild themselves and also give or learn knowledge. We all know Dawson worked under Holgerson as his OC in Houston. I only see this as + with game planning, situational football etc. Gives another offensive mind and thought process during the game. Now the only problem is if Dawson is trying to get out of the shadow of his former coach. This is where EGO has to be put aside and they don’t seem to be a problem at BAMA for Saban. They all get checked at the door. I’m sure there are disagreements, but not enough where people have been fired.

Can also lead to a boost in recruiting. As guys see we are serious about improving the offense even more. Some of the top QB’s may begin to take a deeper look into the U.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
It's all fine and good to bring in people as long as he lets his folks grow and have some autonomy in their duties. Soon as he starts meddling with the offense or tweaking **** that ain't broke, that's when **** goes sideways. Hands off, Mario!

Advertisement
If you want to understand Holgerson, just rerun the bowl game when Miami clobbered his WVU team in 2016 and behold his sideline demeanor. FYI is was a DIAZ defense that shut him down.

Saban the GOAT CFB coach has been hiring former HC’s for years as analysts. Giving a place to rebuild themselves and also give or learn knowledge. We all know Dawson worked under Holgerson as his OC in Houston. I only see this as + with game planning, situational football etc. Gives another offensive mind and thought process during the game. Now the only problem is if Dawson is trying to get out of the shadow of his former coach. This is where EGO has to be put aside and they don’t seem to be a problem at BAMA for Saban. They all get checked at the door. I’m sure there are disagreements, but not enough where people have been fired.

Can also lead to a boost in recruiting. As guys see we are serious about improving the offense even more. Some of the top QB’s may begin to take a deeper look into the U.

What do you guys think?
He didn’t go to UM or Columbus. Pass.

Advertisement

What do you guys think?
Sometimes you can have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. This seems like everyone involved would have to accept a role they really don't love the idea of.

I thinks that’s why you can’t bring him in. Dawson would now be over his old boss.

It is not unusual to have HC and Assistant Coaches reversed. Rocky Long worked under Danny Gonzalez at New Mexico. Nick Saban was an assistant at Navy under Gary Tranquil, who later had Tranquil as his OC at Michigan State. Similar deal with Petrino and John L Smith at Louisville and Arkansas...There have been others at all levels of football to which I'm too lazy to look up. However, doubtful Holgerson would work here with Dawson, imo.

Advertisement
Personally I'd be for it but would it be strange for Dawson to be OC and Holgorsen, his former boss, be an analyst? May be a tough dynamic.

Agreed, but Saban has former HC all time. Hence I said EGO’s and PRIDE would have to be put aside.

Agreed, but Saban has former HC all time. Hence I said EGO’s and PRIDE would have to be put aside.
I understand that. But I don't recall a similar situation where a new analyst was the boss of one of his coordinators just a year ago?

I think it's a lot to ask of Dawson and should be 100% his call.

But it would be a strange dynamic to overcome.

Advertisement
Sometimes you can have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. This seems like everyone involved would have to accept a role they really don't love the idea of.
xUPGcyP801vF2izAsw.gif

Advertisement
Back