Does King stay if this season is cancelled?

As long as players keep getting infected and recovering without incident, we are playing.
What do you think happens if a player (even 1 single player) gets seriously ill or dies? Curious to hear your opinion, because I know you've taken the virus more seriously than some others have.

For the sake of example, let's say a player dies. And let's say he is from an FCS school (bc they don't get the big television revenues). Surely that school has to cancel the season, especially considering football isn't as big of an income producer as it is at the FBS level. Would other schools keep playing in spite of a player dying at another school? I would think liability concerns, public opinion, etc., would at least make other schools consider shutting it down.

I get that the calculus is different for P5 teams. There is too much money involved, so they are going to at least start the season, unless something catastrophic happens between now and late August (which very well may happen). Whether they finish the season is an entirely different story. I was having this conversation last weekend, and I put it at 90% that the season would start, and 65% that it would finish in some capacity. Those numbers might be on the optimistic side.

The other secondary issues have been discussed (what happens if a team has to quarantine and misses conference games, etc.), so I will leave those out of the picture. I am just not as optimistic as others in this thread, especially the way the virus is spreading through the south.

Advertisement
What do you think happens if a player (even 1 single player) gets seriously ill or dies? Curious to hear your opinion, because I know you've taken the virus more seriously than some others have.

For the sake of example, let's say a player dies. And let's say he is from an FCS school (bc they don't get the big television revenues). Surely that school has to cancel the season, especially considering football isn't as big of an income producer as it is at the FBS level. Would other schools keep playing in spite of a player dying at another school? I would think liability concerns, public opinion, etc., would at least make other schools consider shutting it down.

I get that the calculus is different for P5 teams. There is too much money involved, so they are going to at least start the season, unless something catastrophic happens between now and late August (which very well may happen). Whether they finish the season is an entirely different story. I was having this conversation last weekend, and I put it at 90% that the season would start, and 65% that it would finish in some capacity. Those numbers might be on the optimistic side.

The other secondary issues have been discussed (what happens if a team has to quarantine and misses conference games, etc.), so I will leave those out of the picture. I am just not as optimistic as others in this thread, especially the way the virus is spreading through the south.
I think that we need to keep hysteria and emotion out of the equation. My thoughts on football and young people are pretty simple. Whether there's football or not, football players will catch COVID. And even if they cancel football, there's a statistical chance that a college player will die from COVID. I say to keep emotion out of it because we have to look at how kids will comport themselves with football or without and if cancelling football will actually reduce the risk of the player catching it and dying from it.

Kids will not stay in the house until a vaccine is developed because they know they're not going to die, and they already have that youthful invincibility. So they're going to catch COVID regardless of whether football is canceled.

Based on my experience, it'll be impossible to keep emotion and hysteria out of the equation. Unfortunately, if a player catches it and dies they'll probably cancel the season even though they shouldn't because players will catch it regardless of football.

Players died from the Spanish Flu, H1N1, and this year's Influenza B was pretty deadly to children.

It's like this has become something else entirely. You can't compare it to anything like the flu without somebody trotting out fatality rates and the "shut it all down, wear a mask or you're evil" crowd can't tell you what metric you can use to make an informed decision.

If you even try to discuss real data that shows anything other than sheer pandemonium, you're attacked. We'll know more in a month, how about we not burn everything down for just a little longer?

Dummies thought it was a New York issue. Instead of following safe precautions for re-opening (i.e., not making it free for all where people were suddenly piled on top of each other in bars and clubs), we just threw caution to the wind. We found out it's not a NY virus or a Chinese virus. Instead, it's a virus that knows no borders and infects people regardless of them thinking they're somehow shielded by geography.

On top of all that, it's America, and we're soft and weak and mentally feeble. We can't do simple things like wearing masks when social distancing is not possible because it messes up our makeup or it's too uncomfortable for our delicate selves. So morons without a stick of legal knowledge think they have suddenly morphed into constitutional scholars and try to turn public safety into a "you're violating my constitutional rights" issue.

They stomp and scream and pout and try to intimidate businesses into letting them in without a mask because they have surmised through their legal studies that they have a constitutional right to infect others. The poor business owners fold because they need the money and don't want any more problems from a group of loudmouth morons who will stop at nothing to destroy their business if the business owner tries to enforce rules to protect the greater good.

Nailed it.

Advertisement
Go to YouTube, genius. Plenty of videos of this.
Hey Galileo... if I go to YouTube to look for intimidation, for stomping, for violence, for screaming and insulting... I'm going to see something different that what you jesters are talking about. You and your buddy got some nice blinders.

I think that we need to keep hysteria and emotion out of the equation. My thoughts on football and young people are pretty simple. Whether there's football or not, football players will catch COVID. And even if they cancel football, there's a statistical chance that a college player will die from COVID. I say to keep emotion out of it because we have to look at how kids will comport themselves with football or without and if cancelling football will actually reduce the risk of the player catching it and dying from it.

Kids will not stay in the house until a vaccine is developed because they know they're not going to die, and they already have that youthful invincibility. So they're going to catch COVID regardless of whether football is canceled.

Based on my experience, it'll be impossible to keep emotion and hysteria out of the equation. Unfortunately, if a player catches it and dies they'll probably cancel the season even though they shouldn't because players will catch it regardless of football.

I agree with you in general. Most of the new cases are in the 24-34 age range - they are going to bars, parties, etc. Football players will do the same, during the season, especially the backups. They still are gonna party and chase girls, and therefore catch Covid.

I try not to get political on this board, but I think it is a fact that DeSantis isn't helping. So to the extent that there is a group of schools that decide to go forward (see, SEC), I think us Canes fans are gonna get ****ed. (I suppose the flip[ side of this argument is that DeSantis isn't gonna prohibit football, but at the local level or the University itself is gonna also be involved in whether the Canes play).

My gut tells me that without tort reform, which isn't gonna happen before the season, even if the players want to play, the schools might shut it down. Some might shut it down even if there was no liability concerns, as many of these institutions are run by liberals that aren't gonna put amateurs at risk. Before they put them at risk because they need the money, as many in this thread have suggested, I think they would turn to Congress for more money based on lost revenues due to canceling the season. We can't have higher education, as an institution, go under. And without sports, many colleges probably won't survive. Congress would almost certainly have to act. That is me just spitballing, I never gave that any thought until I just typed it.

Contrast that to the NFL, where they can get paid millions and can sign a waiver. The guys that don't want to play can simply opt-out and not get paid, like the NBA guys are doing. So the NFL I see happening 100%. Again, maybe the season won't finish, but I think it will definitely start.

I hate to be a pessimist. I just set up a room in my new place with 3 TVs on the wall and 3 computer screens on a desk, just to watch CFB. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be used until 2021.

Advertisement
I agree with you in general. Most of the new cases are in the 24-34 age range - they are going to bars, parties, etc. Football players will do the same, during the season, especially the backups. They still are gonna party and chase girls, and therefore catch Covid.

I try not to get political on this board, but I think it is a fact that DeSantis isn't helping. So to the extent that there is a group of schools that decide to go forward (see, SEC), I think us Canes fans are gonna get ****ed. (I suppose the flip[ side of this argument is that DeSantis isn't gonna prohibit football, but at the local level or the University itself is gonna also be involved in whether the Canes play).

My gut tells me that without tort reform, which isn't gonna happen before the season, even if the players want to play, the schools might shut it down. Some might shut it down even if there was no liability concerns, as many of these institutions are run by liberals that aren't gonna put amateurs at risk. Before they put them at risk because they need the money, as many in this thread have suggested, I think they would turn to Congress for more money based on lost revenues due to canceling the season. We can't have higher education, as an institution, go under. And without sports, many colleges probably won't survive. Congress would almost certainly have to act. That is me just spitballing, I never gave that any thought until I just typed it.

Contrast that to the NFL, where they can get paid millions and can sign a waiver. The guys that don't want to play can simply opt-out and not get paid, like the NBA guys are doing. So the NFL I see happening 100%. Again, maybe the season won't finish, but I think it will definitely start.

I hate to be a pessimist. I just set up a room in my new place with 3 TVs on the wall and 3 computer screens on a desk, just to watch CFB. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be used until 2021.
I'm an eternal optimist, but I can absolutely see a scenario where the schools buckle to public pressure the minute a player has more than a "no symptoms/super mild symptoms" reaction to the bug.

People aren't smart enough to think through situations, so they cave to public/political pressure. If you approach college football with the mindset that kids are going to catch COVID whether we have a football season or not, then you can avoid panic and emotional reactions to the cases that will inevitably arise. Unfortunately, that's not America.

I'm an eternal optimist, but I can absolutely see a scenario where the schools buckle to public pressure the minute a player has more than a "no symptoms/super mild symptoms" reaction to the bug.

People aren't smart enough to think through situations, so they cave to public/political pressure. If you approach college football with the mindset that kids are going to catch COVID whether we have a football season or not, then you can avoid panic and emotional reactions to the cases that will inevitably arise. Unfortunately, that's not America.

Yup. It's coming. There's too many athletes getting this for no one to get seriously ill from it. The minute a kid is hospitalized/admitted to ICU or god forbid dies, everything stops.

Right now, these kids are testing positive, and they are either asymptomatic or maybe they have very light symptoms. So everyone is nervous and apprehensive, but it's not a crisis. Once a kid at Clemson or Alabama or a big time school like that tests positive and has serious health complications, this whole thing gets shut down immediately. And it's gonna happen. Too many kids are going to get it for it not to. Just pray that somehow money talks louder than anything else and we still get to get this show on the road.

I will be shocked if there is no season. We may see a modified season or delay the start, but no season? I’d put the odds at less than 10%. There simply is too much money at stake.

And let’s not forget the downstream ramifications of having no season. Do players get an extra year of eligibility? Do teams get an increased scholly number for next year? How do you have an NFL Draft based upon results from over a year ago? Think about how if there was no season last year; Joe Burrow would have been a 6th round pick. Think about when baseball went on strike in ‘94 and the sport was set back 5 years until the steroid-fueled homerun chase revived it. Some may argue the sport never fully recovered. Nah. A season will be played. Money wins out in the end.

The best thing we can hope for is for this current outbreak to burn itself out. The longer numbers keep going up, the more people panic.

Advertisement
tenor.gif

I have a question out of pure curiosity...If the season is canceled (not saying I think it will be) do the players automatically lose that year of eligibility?
If you are a redshirt senior you are done?

Advertisement
Back