Does King Have Legs?

Advertisement
I thought when we signed King he’d pose way more of a run threat. His instinct seems to be to sit in the pocket and wait for our receivers to get open even though there's sometimes wide open run lanes. I know it's difficult to have your eyes in two places at once, but I think he’s left a lot of potentially big runs on the field.

I think you're not taking into account the fact that the last 2 defenses he faced were legitimately tough defenses. They neutralize a lot of runners. Against the lesser defenses of the first 3 games, he broke more runs.

King had 11 caries for 32 yards. Some of those carries were sacks, late scrambles, or designed QB runs. I'm saying very specifically, instead of holding the ball in the pocket, take off when you see an open lane.

My point is: King sticks in the pocket, waiting for our receivers to separate, when sometimes he's got wide open lanes. Lashlee needs to tell him to take those open lanes as often as he can.
Honestly, the last two games those open lanes have all but disappeared. That's why when he steps up, there is nowhere to go. We need more designed rollouts. They are really afraid of his legs, as you could see from the two TD passes last weekend. Why not show them more looks so they really have something to worry about?

I don't expect him to rush for 100 every game, but we at least need to make it a real threat to keep a D honest.

53 - 273 (5.2 per) - Long 56 - 2td. Those are kings rushing numbers. 53 ******* runs in 5 games. How much more you want him to run? To compare:

Cam's numbers are: 58 - 338 (5.8 per) - Long 75 - 5td

I thought when we signed King he’d pose way more of a run threat. His instinct seems to be to sit in the pocket and wait for our receivers to get open even though there's sometimes wide open run lanes. I know it's difficult to have your eyes in two places at once, but I think he’s left a lot of potentially big runs on the field.

Bottom line is we have a QB with a subpar arm/accuracy, an offensive line that gets eaten up, and wide receivers who can't separate. On the other hand, we have a QB that has a 4.4 and can absolutely break teams with his legs.

We need to improve in many, many areas, but here's one easy improvement: if I'm Lashlee, I'm telling King to run every single time he sees green grass. How many times have you seen King sit in the pocket only to watch King get sacked because our pocket quickly collapse ours receivers couldn't separate? If you see a running lane, take it! Kill em with your legs.

I imagine King is trying to impress NFL scouts and prove he's a worthy NFL QB. He's not, but he can be a far better college QB if he just utilized his best asset and made plays with his legs.
I think you’ve mistakenly been watching 2016 Miami hurricanes games..you should get in touch with your cable company

Advertisement
I think you're not taking into account the fact that the last 2 defenses he faced were legitimately tough defenses. They neutralize a lot of runners. Against the lesser defenses of the first 3 games, he broke more runs.

This is true. And another poster said they were spying him all game, which I didn't see from my tv.

Honestly, the last two games those open lanes have all but disappeared. That's why when he steps up, there is nowhere to go. We need more designed rollouts. They are really afraid of his legs, as you could see from the two TD passes last weekend. Why not show them more looks so they really have something to worry about?

I don't expect him to rush for 100 every game, but we at least need to make it a real threat to keep a D honest.

Yeah, you're right. I was probably a little too critical firing off this post after the game. I definitely saw some open lanes, but they did close pretty quickly.

But definitely should roll him out more. I'm really confused why Lashlee isn't trying to get him in space and outside the pocket, given King's athletic ability and our shoddy o-line.

Advertisement
Yeah, you're right. I was probably a little too critical firing off this post after the game. I definitely saw some open lanes, but they did close pretty quickly.

But definitely should roll him out more. I'm really confused why Lashlee isn't trying to get him in space and outside the pocket, given King's athletic ability and our shoddy o-line.
I'm with you. When he has room to run, he should take it. The more he does, the more the secondary will have their eyes in the backfield. The more they do, the more open players will magically become. Weird how that works. Lashlee needs to do more to get King out of the pocket, because I promise you once he's out of the pocket he can see better, and all eyes will be looking at him, freeing up others.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement
Advertisement
BmeZzukCIAAufYB1.jpg

Actually have the feeling that King might deal with an injury. His jersey is filled out and I was wondering if he wears extra rib protection.

But that could be me just being a blind doofus. In that case, ignore this.
Yes he is wearing rib protection. Injury unknown.

Advertisement
Back