Does King Have Legs?

CanesNation26

Sophomore
I thought when we signed King he’d pose way more of a run threat. His instinct seems to be to sit in the pocket and wait for our receivers to get open even though there's sometimes wide open run lanes. I know it's difficult to have your eyes in two places at once, but I think he’s left a lot of potentially big runs on the field.

Bottom line is we have a QB with a subpar arm/accuracy, an offensive line that gets eaten up, and wide receivers who can't separate. On the other hand, we have a QB that has a 4.4 and can absolutely break teams with his legs.

We need to improve in many, many areas, but here's one easy improvement: if I'm Lashlee, I'm telling King to run every single time he sees green grass. How many times have you seen King sit in the pocket only to watch King get sacked because our pocket quickly collapse ours receivers couldn't separate? If you see a running lane, take it! Kill em with your legs.

I imagine King is trying to impress NFL scouts and prove he's a worthy NFL QB. He's not, but he can be a far better college QB if he just utilized his best asset and made plays with his legs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
King had 11 caries for 32 yards. Some of those carries were sacks, late scrambles, or designed QB runs. I'm saying very specifically, instead of holding the ball in the pocket, take off when you see an open lane.

My point is: King sticks in the pocket, waiting for our receivers to separate, when sometimes he's got wide open lanes. Lashlee needs to tell him to take those open lanes as often as he can.

King had 11 caries for 32 yards. Some of those carries were sacks, late scrambles, or designed QB runs. I'm saying very specifically, instead of holding the ball in the pocket, take off when you see an open lane.
You know Pitt was using a spy all game right? The threat of his legs create opportunity, see the Cam and Mallory TD’s.

Advertisement
Actually have the feeling that King might deal with an injury. His jersey is filled out and I was wondering if he wears extra rib protection.

But that could be me just being a blind doofus. In that case, ignore this.

Actually have the feeling that King might deal with an injury. His jersey is filled out and I was wondering if he wears extra rib protection.

But that could be me just being a blind doofus. In that case, ignore this.
I thought about that too. He seemed really off today.

I think there are a lot of running opportunities left on the field today, but I'm clearly on an island here, so I'm gonna go ahead and delete this post.

Advertisement
******* troll. He may not be as fast as I thought but dude is super elusive and quick. **** out of here with that ****.
Ugh. I never once said he wasn't fast or quick. I said he should rely on his legs more and takeoff more rather than sticking in the pocket.

I feel the same way. He has the legs to run more n sometimes I wonder why he doesn't pull it n run more. But I guess he hoping the def sits on him that way the running backs can get free.

My point is: King sticks in the pocket, waiting for our receivers to separate, when sometimes he's got wide open lanes. Lashlee needs to tell him to take those open lanes as often as he can.

I do think he needs to improve on his recognition when he should keep the ball vs hand off

Advertisement
If you expected Houston version of king you’re disappointed he really isn’t THAT dynamic outside of his slick jukes/spins. If you expected Lamar Jackson then you’re clutching pearls over it

He CAN run more and he should, provided he’s healthy enough to do so. When he quickly and decisively chooses to take off during throwing plays and after his first read isn’t there, it’s been positive, even vs Clemson. I get it, he is really wanting to grow as a quarterback but I really do believe if he adjusts and decides to take off just a few more times, especially during early downs, we could see more consistent drives instead of the feast or famine, although we’ve been feasting a lot, but I get where the OP is coming from.

I don't know how much is visible on TV, but I was at the game and Pitt routinely had only 1 safety and within 10 yards at that. It was evident to me that Pitt's game plan was to stack the box and stifle the run and force King to make plays throwing the ball downfield.

Advertisement
Back