Does King come back next year?

this is from a fan's perspective, not a player's. i just don't think these guys THINK this way.
I’m sure King is getting good advice on where, if at all he’ll be drafted and is considering all of the factors, name and likeness included. He seems like a smart guy and I’m sure he’s not under the illusion that he’ll be a starting QB in the NFL next year.

Advertisement
And his injury history isn’t pretty especially the concussions. Y’all dudes keep over looking that. One more year could solidify him in the 10-15 range. Rousseau not playing this year might have cost himself from going even higher.
How many concussions has he had? 252 break out that HIPPA medical chart. Is he Jordan Reed? Again you strike while the stove is hot. Especially football and basketball. No guarantees in this world man. You strike while the iron is hot, maybe if we were bringing back a championship caliber team, but we aren't. Alabama will be ready especially if Mac Jones stays another year.

Advertisement
Which is probably closer to $400-500K in real world money.

Disagree a bit about Kaaya's stock not being helped by another year. I think if Kaaya had led Miami to a 10 win season like Rosier did, it could have propelled him to a much better draft position. He's a dude who was getting some Heisman hype, then had a disappointing season, and if he'd had a bounce back 10 win 2017, it might have been big for him (huge assumption that Kaaya had been able to make up in passing what Rosier was able to do with his running)

Dude might want to start hitting more than 1 out of every 5 throws that go farther than 15 yards down the field. That 1 out of 5 is probably being generous too

At no point this season has he shown the ability to be an consistent, accurate passer down the field. Can't make the NFL only putting the ball where it needs to go on slants over the middle.

Dude might want to start hitting more than 1 out of every 5 throws that go farther than 15 yards down the field. That 1 out of 5 is probably being generous too

At no point this season has he shown the ability to be an consistent, accurate passer down the field. Can't make the NFL only putting the ball where it needs to go on slants over the middle.
Drew Brees would like a word

Advertisement
Why is Barry Jackson putting this crazy “King is gone and Milton is coming in” craziness out there for public consumption?

I realize it may sound self-serving as a Canes fan but I really think King declaring this year would be a big mistake. He's already past the ideal age for the NFL, so being 25 rather than 24 when he declares won't hurt him that much. His main focus should be on going as early in the draft as he can as a QB, because as it stands he is likely going to be looked at as a WR in the NFL. He'll be a 6th or 7th round WR who hasn't played WR in years. Those dudes are on the shortlist for getting cut from the 53 before the season starts. If he comes back and wins the Heisman or finishes in top 3 (not unreasonable- Trask at UF is probably winning this year, with 38 TDs, King in his first year in the system and a shaky OL is 16th with 24) and leads Miami to the playoffs, King could go earlier than round 3 or earlier as a QB. That kind of investment means he'll stick around at least as a backup in the NFL for a few years.

I’m sure King is getting good advice on where, if at all he’ll be drafted and is considering all of the factors, name and likeness included. He seems like a smart guy and I’m sure he’s not under the illusion that he’ll be a starting QB in the NFL next year.

he is a smart and very grounded guy, it comes through in the interviews. plus his family structure certainly engenders confidence that his analysis of his next steps are reasonable and well rooted. however, i think successfully college football players generally over-estimate their value, and we've seen it here many times.

i won't forget seeing DE Shayon Green outside of Chicken Kitchen in the spring after his senior year. I asked him what was next, as in life/career, and he looked at me as if I were nuts. he said, "i'm headed to the league to play for years". yes, i know he got on a practice squad but even this pudgy Westchester middle aged Cuban knew that wasn't true.

Here you go boys

F738F098-0408-46F4-A26D-FEF33A9D5270.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would make sense for him to come back. This years QB draft class is pretty much set 1-5. Next year, I’m not really sure who the top QBs would be...Slovis and Howell? I think King has a real shot to make himself some money and be a day 1/2 pick as a QB in 2022. I don’t see a lot of people jumping up draft boards this year due to Covid.

Advertisement
Back