Does Golden's 2012 Recruiting Tell Us

View as article
Advertisement
no. It tells us he is smart and he knows he needs as much new talent infused threw this program as FAST as possible. By getting the maximum amount thru early enrollees and other creative ways is just good business practice

I think Golden (and almost everyone else) is expecting scholarship reductions.

The idea, best I can see, is Golden hauls in a very large class this year, and that large class helps him get through the coming scholly reductions in the next few years to come. Actually, that's a brilliant strategy.

When he said he can't miss on any recruits, I think that may have been a veiled comment on what is to come.

I think he was looking at taking a big class anyways. He's trying turn over the team as fast as he can.

What Golden's 2012 recruiting tells me...

- We severely lack size, depth, and bodies on the front seven (9 players committed, and we continue to recruit the positions).
- We severely need immediate contributors for as early as spring (10+ coming in as EE).
- We lack "athletes"...hence, recruiting a ridiculous amount of CB/WR prospects (11 so far)...mixing both size and speed.
- We lack overall depth a program like the University of Miami should have at all positions. 3 QBs, 2 RBs, 5 WRs, 1 TE (while still recruiting more), 3 OL (while still recruiting more), 4 DL (while still recruiting more), 5 linebackers (while still recruiting more), 5 DBs (while still recruiting more).
- He feels as though it is of the utmost importance to maximize scholarship players on the roster...he did it last year by continually looking for players after Signing Day and filling the roster with less heralded, unsigned prospects (Wells, Armbrister, King, Smith, etc.).
- He puts a premium on our summer camp (numerous commitments camped at Miami and won positional MVP awards).
- He has made it a priority to be in every home/school locally with face to face time...he's not just a "closer" or a guy that comes in to seal the deal, he's out there actively recruiting just as much as his main recruiters on the staff and couple this with an emphasis on local recruiting being main targets.

Its not dissimilar to what Randy Shannon did in 08, truth be told. Randy just didn't continue the trend year-to-year, hence, why we still had the same problems 4 years later that he inherited and attempted to fix in one recruiting class and he didn't put a premium on maximizing the roster size.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Golden was referring to this year's class as Noah's Ark long before the allegations came out in the press. He's been planning a full scale rebuilding for a while.

- We severely lack size, depth, and bodies on the front seven (9 players committed, and we continue to recruit the positions).
- We severely need immediate contributors for as early as spring (10+ coming in as EE).
- We lack "athletes"...hence, recruiting a ridiculous amount of CB/WR prospects (11 so far)...mixing both size and speed.
- We lack overall depth a program like the University of Miami should have at all positions. 3 QBs, 2 RBs, 5 WRs, 1 TE (while still recruiting more), 3 OL (while still recruiting more), 4 DL (while still recruiting more), 5 linebackers (while still recruiting more), 5 DBs (while still recruiting more).
- He feels as though it is of the utmost importance to maximize scholarship players on the roster...he did it last year by continually looking for players after Signing Day and filling the roster with less heralded, unsigned prospects (Wells, Armbrister, King, Smith, etc.).
- He puts a premium on our summer camp (numerous commitments camped at Miami and won positional MVP awards).
- He has made it a priority to be in every home/school locally with face to face time...he's not just a "closer" or a guy that comes in to seal the deal, he's out there actively recruiting just as much as his main recruiters on the staff and couple this with an emphasis on local recruiting being main targets.

Its not dissimilar to what Randy Shannon did in 08, truth be told. Randy just didn't continue the trend year-to-year, hence, why we still had the same problems 4 years later that he inherited and attempted to fix in one recruiting class and he didn't put a premium on maximizing the roster size.

+1 great summation. +rep

Advertisement

:crownpour:

Wow.

CanesInsight Larry > Canestime Larry

Larry was always a good poster, especially in regards to the 'Canes, but as the quality of discussion of the premmy board went down, I felt less inclined to post and generate discussion with the likes of penncanefan, OCF, and the rest of the All-Positive First Teamers trolling the forums.

Wow.

CanesInsight Larry > Canestime Larry

Larry was always a good poster, especially in regards to the 'Canes, but as the quality of discussion of the premmy board went down, I felt less inclined to post and generate discussion with the likes of penncanefan, OCF, and the rest of the All-Positive First Teamers trolling the forums.

+1

Between these guys and cityboy i stopped going on at all

Advertisement

Can someone explain to me why we had so many "walk-on" players on the roster with Shannon?

Guys like Gholston and Fentress are great for feel good stories on Raising Canes but is it really something that should happen at a major D-1 school like Miami? If you read through the roster, it is full of guys that were not even listed as scholarship guys from signing day. I know walk-on are key to practice squads, etc. but you normally don't see them on the roster. We had a ton.

Was Shannon using all the ships available? Was he just using them as hand-out to walk-ons when we had non-qualifiers and departures? This is something I have always wondered.

Can someone explain to me why we had so many "walk-on" players on the roster with Shannon?

Guys like Gholston and Fentress are great for feel good stories on Raising Canes but is it really something that should happen at a major D-1 school like Miami? If you read through the roster, it is full of guys that were not even listed as scholarship guys from signing day. I know walk-on are key to practice squads, etc. but you normally don't see them on the roster. We had a ton.

Was Shannon using all the ships available? Was he just using them as hand-out to walk-ons when we had non-qualifiers and departures? This is something I have always wondered.

Randy didn't have too many walkons, actually. Few that ever played. The long snapper was typically a walk-on that would earn a scholarship by senior year. Corey Nelms was a walk-on that contributed on special teams. But really, I was shocked at how few walk-ons the Canes had on their roster when I was covering the team, nevermind walk-ons that never suited up. We had some walk-on QBs early in Randy's tenure, and some random walk-ons, but none were contributors really.

I find Golden's approach to walk-ons a little better...he encourages kids and has his own walk-on program. And, no, Shannon wasn't using his full allotment of 'ships. IIRC, it was 09, but we were rolling with a Florida Gators like low to mid 70ish scholarship players, and that ended up being a year where we had a lot of injuries to boot.

Advertisement
This was going to be a big class anyway, so I am not sure why anyone would speculate otherwise. Also as far as I know Golden would have no idea if there are going to be sanctions on scholorships. The NCAA usually doesn't tell anyone what they are going to do untill they do it.

It tells me the 2008 class was big and alot of those guys are gone so naturally 4 years later you're going to take another big class based on those guys leaving for one reason or another.

I sit right behind the Canes bench at home and i have never seen as many walkons as i have this year

i honestly believe we had more this year than the 3 years before combined.

my guess: Golden wanted to get rid of everyone except for a handful of kids

Advertisement
Back