Does Culture Flowe from Geography?

Language is a part of culture. Culture is the expectations of the world around you, ie behavior, attitude, milestones with language being one of them. Just because people speak different languages doesnt mean they arent a part of the same culture.

There's a reason Puerto Rico has been a territory for 120+ years but is still not a state. Nor will they ever become a state.

It's because they don't speak English. The people of Puerto Rico will never vote to become a state, and the people of the USA will never vote to accept them as a state. Because both sides know it would be a sham marriage.

I get why this is controversial - I didn't at first - but come on, man. Of course the language you speak matters as far as what culture. Your culture is shaped by the people you interact with. You can only communicate if you speak the same language.

Advertisement
Miami WAS more culturally a part of the South in the mid-20th century.

It was still segregated--the hotels, train stations, the public buses ( that I think we're privately owned.), schools.

When I was a kid the buses had a separate seating section in the back. There were no Black drivers. Then there was this big bus strike and the bus company hired a lot of replacement drivers. Some were Black. I think that totally integrated the bus system.

The Miami train station had separate Black and White waiting rooms.

UM had its first Black player in '67, I believe.

I think all of the segregation was because of a Southern cultural heritage. So, it was once more Southern, but maybe not like Deep South.

Some people called the city "Miamuh" which I think was the Southern influence. The city started to change rapidly in the '50's. By city I'm including Dade, generally.
My stepdad calls it Miamuh. I always wondered why, he's about to be 75, so that makes sense.

There's a reason Puerto Rico has been a territory for 120+ years but is still not a state. Nor will they ever become a state.

It's because they don't speak English. The people of Puerto Rico will never vote to become a state, and the people of the USA will never vote to accept them as a state. Because both sides know it would be a sham marriage.

I get why this is controversial - I didn't at first - but come on, man. Of course the language you speak matters as far as what culture. Your culture is shaped by the people you interact with. You can only communicate if you speak the same language.

Poster must not know that the official language of Hawaii is not english

Primary language, not "dominant" language.
Be careful, your bigotry is showing.

Dominant language, yeah. It's a technical term. Google the definition and stop acting like a fool.

My bigotry is showing for stating facts? I guess I'm a first generation immigrant bigot who speaks fluent Spanish then. English is not my first language either, but that doesn't change facts. But please, jump to some more conclusions.

There's nothing bigoted about saying that Spanish-speaking people have more in common with each other than they do with English speaking people. There's nothing wrong with that either. You're the bigot for assuming that's inherently a bad thing and getting all riled up about it. So what, you just assume Spanish cultures are worse and get all offended if we're not all American?

English proficiency in Puerto Rico is less than 20% fluent. That's just a **** measured fact. And that's not a problem, it's a choice. I don't know what it is in Miami, because nobody publishes that. I would guess like 75% are reasonably fluent, but English is the dominant language for fewer than 50% .

Last edited:
Advertisement
But most people speak English in Hawaii. Not really true in Puerto Rico.

I get and understand that.

But to say that Puerto Rico wont be a state which is false considering when Hawaii became a state most of the Island spoke Hawaiian and not english.

I have always considered most of the USA to really be more British than anything else, since the dominant language is English. Honestly, the USA and the UK should just become their own transatlantic country. Neither really belongs in North America imo.
People are not understanding the mockery.

And speaking about Puerto Rico as well as Guam and the Virgin Islands. Either we give them statehood or Independence. Imperialism in this world is dead.

Advertisement
Puerto Rico is not a state (or independent) because the Commonwealth arrangement is the best cost/benefit for islanders. The big drawback is the effect of the Jones Act. The vote by islanders on whether they want statehood has little- and possibly nothing- to do with dominant language. It's about as close to a pure wallet issue as possible.

Miami is culturally like Puerto Rico. Both are technically part of the United States, but Spanish is the dominant language so both places are really more latin american than usa.

Honestly Puerto Rico and Miami should just become their own Caribbean countries. Neither really belong in the US imo

Yeah, right.........

You really think that the US is going to give away its 8th largest Metropolitan area? That makes zero sense. Miami is #2 in International Private Banking in the US...............

I hate the South (and do not regard the Low Country nor 'Orleans as being part of the South), but I would NEVER give away Atlanta and Charlotte. Even Little Rock and Mobile provide value.

I have been to Puerto Rico countless times and would drop it like "a bad habit". Sorry....

I speak three languages fluently, and formerly spoke four.

In the modern economy, you BETTER speak more than one language.

If you are against languages then you need to go buy some opioids, turn on some Willie Nelson and move to Apalachia (sic) because you are worthless to our economy going forward...........

No one is against languages. We all have to communicate.

This is definitely geared towards America and english speakers though. I have visited many places where people only speak their native tongue and they are far from worthless or listen to willie nelson. Some of them very rich too.

But we must have a common ground in which to conduct business and diplomacy. Thats where the average people get so bent about things. It causes stress to everyday lives for day to day taska. As society becomes more bilingual the stress is less.

Advertisement
Dominant language, yeah. It's a technical term. Google the definition and stop acting like a fool.

My bigotry is showing for stating facts? I guess I'm a first generation immigrant bigot who speaks fluent Spanish then. English is not my first language either, but that doesn't change facts. But please, jump to some more conclusions.

There's nothing bigoted about saying that Spanish-speaking people have more in common with each other than they do with English speaking people. There's nothing wrong with that either. You're the bigot for assuming that's inherently a bad thing and getting all riled up about it. So what, you just assume Spanish cultures are worse and get all offended if we're not all American?

English proficiency in Puerto Rico is less than 20% fluent. That's just a **** measured fact. And that's not a problem, it's a choice. I don't know what it is in Miami, because nobody publishes that. I would guess like 75% are reasonably fluent, but English is the dominant language for fewer than 50% .

You are correct that "dominant language" is, in fact, a legitimate term and can be used in completely harmless ways. But, dominant language refers to an individual's proficiency. What language do you dream in? What language are you more proficient in? That's your dominant language. What you said, however, was that English was not the "dominant language in Miami." Then you went on to say that "these people can't communicate" with the rest of the country, ignoring the fact that an individual can speak multiple languages. Your usage was basura and myopic.

Since you claim to like facts, per ta 2015 Census report, there are 128 different languages spoken in the homes in the Miami metropolitan area (tri-county). Instead of assuming these people are any less culturally American based on language or trying to figure out 128 different countries it would make more sense for certain Miami neighborhoods to belong to, maybe appreciate the fact that Miami is the only city in the United States where the most studied language is English. Perhaps you might actually respect the fact that this signifies many individuals in Miami are working hard to communicate (in English) with their fellow citizens.

As for trying to all me out as a bigot (for calling you a bigot) because all you were saying was that "Spanish-speaking people have more in common with each other than they do with English speaking people:" (1) your (new) generalization is false and paints with too broad a brush; (2) that's not all you said, you poor, poor fool. You had just said, moments earlier: "Honestly Puerto Rico and Miami should just become their own Caribbean countries. Neither really belong in the US imo."

Also, just for fun, please compare the highlighted quotes above to the previous group of highlighted quotes. You previously said "half the people" in Miami can't communicate with the rest of the country. Now you're admitting that was a made up statistic.

EDIT: TL;DR? Please see @Hurracanes's post below.

Last edited:

You’re a ******* moron.

You are correct that "dominant language" is, in fact, a legitimate term and can be used in completely harmless ways. But, dominant language refers to an individual's proficiency. What language do you dream in? What language are you more proficient in? That's your dominant language. What you said, however, was that English was not the "dominant language in Miami." Then you went on to say that "these people can't communicate" with the rest of the country, ignoring the fact that an individual can speak multiple languages. Your usage was basura and myopic.

Since you claim to like facts, per ta 2015 Census report, there are 128 different languages spoken in the homes in the Miami metropolitan area (tri-county). Instead of assuming these people are any less culturally American based on language or trying to figure out 128 different countries it would make more sense for certain Miami neighborhoods to belong to, maybe appreciate the fact that Miami is the only city in the United States where the most studied language is English. Perhaps you might actually respect the fact that this signifies many individuals in Miami are working hard to communicate (in English) with their fellow citizens.

As for trying to all me out as a bigot (for calling you a bigot) because all you were saying was that "Spanish-speaking people have more in common with each other than they do with English speaking people:" (1) your (new) generalization is false and paints with too broad a brush; (2) that's not all you said, you poor, poor fool. You had just said, moments earlier: "Honestly Puerto Rico and Miami should just become their own Caribbean countries. Neither really belong in the US imo."

Also, just for fun, please compare the highlighted quotes above to the previous group of highlighted quotes. You previously said "half the people" in Miami can't communicate with the rest of the country. Now you're admitting that was a made up statistic.

I'm one of those people, dummy. I studied and learned English as a second language. You think I'm disrespecting myself, or my whole family? And if my avatar doesn't make it clear, I'm also pretty proud to be American.

And yeah, Miami and Puerto Rico are culturally different from the rest of the USA. You have to be blind not to see the latin american influence on these places. And yeah, language is the conduit of culture. PR has more in common with the DR than it does with Nebraska, and Miami has more in common with San Juan than it does with Salt Lake City. I stand behind everything I said 100%.

Nobody is kicking Miami out of the country, and Puerto Rico is in charge of THEIR decision.

Your sensitive *** is overreacting to everything I said, or you're just bored and looking for argument for its own sake.

Advertisement
I'm one of those people, dummy. I studied and learned English as a second language. You think I'm disrespecting myself, or my whole family? And if my avatar doesn't make it clear, I'm also pretty proud to be American.

And yeah, Miami and Puerto Rico are culturally different from the rest of the USA. You have to be blind not to see the latin american influence on these places. And yeah, language is the conduit of culture. PR has more in common with the DR than it does with Nebraska, and Miami has more in common with San Juan than it does with Salt Lake City. I stand behind everything I said 100%.

Nobody is kicking Miami out of the country, and Puerto Rico is in charge of THEIR decision.

Your sensitive *** is overreacting to everything I said, or you're just bored and looking for argument for its own sake.

Advertisement
Back