Does Art Kehoe Deserve To Come Back?

Advertisement
Golden picked the staff. He could've chosen a lot of guys I assume and he picked Kehoe. Same deal Swasey who everyone is up in arms about. These things reflect on Golden as a coach. I'm tired of guys being hired and fired every game (by us) or every year (by Shannon, for instance). One of the signs of a good coach is being able to pick a good staff. If you're on some pathway of firing guys a year after you hired them, that is a bad harbinger. Golden is not new to this. Personally I'd rather have his entire staff stay intact and prove that he knows what he's doing.
I view it a bit differently. First of all, the two staff members people want gone are the two hold-overs / returning Canes (Kehoe and Swasey). I don't think it's a coincidence they're there. AG got heavily lobbied by past players on behalf of both. He may well have been conflicted about each of them. There's reason to believe he was. Was it a mistake to go with them? Hard to say. Purely by the output of their roles, you'd probably say yes. But he's managing a program, and seems clearly to have taken some risks to balance relationship factors.

So the next question is can he accept and chance course, or will he dig in. One of the few things I ink Randy got right was being decisive in moving on when coach sucked. He may have been awful at hiring, but he was pretty good at firing.

If AG keeps getting it wrong, that will be concerning. But so far, I think he's hired well.

/edit: overlooked barrow, though many here would put him next on the chopping block

Personally I think that's a view of convenience. People want to believe in Golden and rightfully so. So therefore they explain away the two people they consider to be "bad hires" on these types of grounds. His job as a coach is to hire a staff to win games. He is not to be swayed by what somebody says. If Swasey's issues are so plain that laypersons on message boards see them clearly, it's HIS JOB to eliminate that problem unless he appreciates it differently than the laypersons. I doubt hundreds were lobbying for Kehoe. Again, it's his job to hire a line coach not to be swayed by Tyler McMeans.

As stated earlier, it's a bad harbinger to be firing people 10 games after you hired them. Who's to say you'll get it right the next time, or that you got any other hire right? I prefer to think Golden made the right moves here and we'll see that in time. If the environment of the program is laziness, it's hard for Swasey to change that in a year. If a bunch of linemen have bad habits, it's hard for Kehoe to change that in a year. I haven't given up on these two guys if Golden tells me they're the right guys. I hope that's the message this offseason. If he's firing people, it's a bad omen. JMO.

I suspect a change will be made in the offseason.

If hiring Keoe is reflective of coach Golden, so too will the coaching change. Its not a big deal.

Advertisement
Golden picked the staff. He could've chosen a lot of guys I assume and he picked Kehoe. Same deal Swasey who everyone is up in arms about. These things reflect on Golden as a coach. I'm tired of guys being hired and fired every game (by us) or every year (by Shannon, for instance). One of the signs of a good coach is being able to pick a good staff. If you're on some pathway of firing guys a year after you hired them, that is a bad harbinger. Golden is not new to this. Personally I'd rather have his entire staff stay intact and prove that he knows what he's doing.
I view it a bit differently. First of all, the two staff members people want gone are the two hold-overs / returning Canes (Kehoe and Swasey). I don't think it's a coincidence they're there. AG got heavily lobbied by past players on behalf of both. He may well have been conflicted about each of them. There's reason to believe he was. Was it a mistake to go with them? Hard to say. Purely by the output of their roles, you'd probably say yes. But he's managing a program, and seems clearly to have taken some risks to balance relationship factors.

So the next question is can he accept and chance course, or will he dig in. One of the few things I ink Randy got right was being decisive in moving on when coach sucked. He may have been awful at hiring, but he was pretty good at firing.

If AG keeps getting it wrong, that will be concerning. But so far, I think he's hired well.

/edit: overlooked barrow, though many here would put him next on the chopping block

Personally I think that's a view of convenience. People want to believe in Golden and rightfully so. So therefore they explain away the two people they consider to be "bad hires" on these types of grounds. His job as a coach is to hire a staff to win games. He is not to be swayed by what somebody says. If Swasey's issues are so plain that laypersons on message boards see them clearly, it's HIS JOB to eliminate that problem unless he appreciates it differently than the laypersons. I doubt hundreds were lobbying for Kehoe. Again, it's his job to hire a line coach not to be swayed by Tyler McMeans.

As stated earlier, it's a bad harbinger to be firing people 10 games after you hired them. Who's to say you'll get it right the next time, or that you got any other hire right? I prefer to think Golden made the right moves here and we'll see that in time. If the environment of the program is laziness, it's hard for Swasey to change that in a year. If a bunch of linemen have bad habits, it's hard for Kehoe to change that in a year. I haven't given up on these two guys if Golden tells me they're the right guys. I hope that's the message this offseason. If he's firing people, it's a bad omen. JMO.
I don't know what about my view is 'convenience.' you're the one over-interpreting the significance of hiring, and saying it's a bad omen if he makes a change. I just disagree with that. It's a bad omen if he's as clueless as Randy was at hiring, or makes that many changes. But if his staff stays largely intact but one or two guys below the coordinator level leave, well, that's par for the course. In the real world, high level hiring decisions have a large error risk associated with them, no matter how much work you put into the hiring process. Smart managers hire well and do what they can to make things work, but they are also not afraid to make changes when needed.

I'm not justifying anything, either. I didn't like the Kehoe hire when it was made and said so, and I didn't like keeping Swasey and said so. But ultimately AG gets judged on results. Maybe he is happy with these guys and keeps them. Who knows.

I don't know what about my view is 'convenience.' you're the one over-interpreting the significance of hiring, and saying it's a bad omen if he makes a change. I just disagree with that. It's a bad omen if he's as clueless as Randy was at hiring, or makes that many changes. But if his staff stays largely intact but one or two guys below the coordinator level leave, well, that's par for the course. In the real world, high level hiring decisions have a large error risk associated with them, no matter how much work you put into the hiring process. Smart managers hire well and do what they can to make things work, but they are also not afraid to make changes when needed.

I'm not justifying anything, either. I didn't like the Kehoe hire when it was made and said so, and I didn't like keeping Swasey and said so. But ultimately AG gets judged on results. Maybe he is happy with these guys and keeps them. Who knows.

Agree with the bolded part.

And let's remember the context in which Kehoe became the OL coach. Golden's choice for that job was Stoutland...not Kehoe. It's not like Golden wanted to open up the job because he had to have Art Kehoe coaching his OL. The likely case is that Golden didn't know Art Kehoe from the man in the moon. Stoutland left in mid-January. That's an awkward time to go look for a quality position coach...most everybody who's any good already has a job for the next season by that time. So Golden found himself needing an OL coach at a time of year when pickings were slim, so he didn't have a lot of good options. Nobody else in college football wanted Kehoe, and he was available. This, therefore, is a different set of events than one where Golden went out and conducted an OL coach search from a wide choice of candidates and selected Kehoe.

Given the above, unique circumstance of how Kehoe ended up on the staff, I see zero logic to the proposition that should Golden decide he needs to upgrade the OL coaching, it somehow reflects negatively on Golden. And let's not forget, Kehoe would not even have been employed in college football this year had Stoutland not resigned and an opening became available with about the only college program where Kehoe's been able to get a job. A good OL coach is in very high demand. It's not a good sign that there's zero demand for Kehoe.

Agree with the bolded part.

And let's remember the context in which Kehoe became the OL coach. Golden's choice for that job was Stoutland...not Kehoe. It's not like Golden wanted to open up the job because he had to have Art Kehoe coaching his OL. The likely case is that Golden didn't know Art Kehoe from the man in the moon. Stoutland left in mid-January. That's an awkward time to go look for a quality position coach...most everybody who's any good already has a job for the next season by that time. So Golden found himself needing an OL coach at a time of year when pickings were slim, so he didn't have a lot of good options. Nobody else in college football wanted Kehoe, and he was available. This, therefore, is a different set of events than one where Golden went out and conducted an OL coach search from a wide choice of candidates and selected Kehoe.

Given the above, unique circumstance of how Kehoe ended up on the staff, I see zero logic to the proposition that should Golden decide he needs to upgrade the OL coaching, it somehow reflects negatively on Golden. And let's not forget, Kehoe would not even have been employed in college football this year had Stoutland not resigned and an opening became available with about the only college program where Kehoe's been able to get a job. A good OL coach is in very high demand. It's not a good sign that there's zero demand for Kehoe.

This...

Isn't Barrow the ST's coordnator? Not to long ago the ST's were the most improved unit now he on the chopping block according to canes insight. lmao

Advertisement
Isn't Barrow the ST's coordnator? Not to long ago the ST's were the most improved unit now he on the chopping block according to canes insight. lmao

Other than trolling what does your post add? Barrow and Golden run ST's and Barrow is linebacker coach as well. Where did you read that he was on the chopping block?

Other than trolling what does your post add? Barrow and Golden run ST's and Barrow is linebacker coach as well. Where did you read that he was on the chopping block?
He's prolly just misreading my post, which wouldn't surprise me since he's not particularly good at reading comprehension. I wrote that many folks wanted Barrow on the chopping block. That's a fact. I happen to be one of the group that likes having Barrow here, but there were a lot of voices against his abilities as a LB coach going back the past few years.

That's exactly the way I interpreted it. Folks on these websites claim one thing one week then say some ratarded chit like you posted the next. If Miami82 can't follow that's his own dam problem.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back