Does Art Kehoe Deserve To Come Back?

Yes, but I defer to people who know more about OL than I do. Kehoe has a better track record than demonstrated by this lot.

Advertisement
For his years of service and love of the U, he deserves to come back.... to clean out his office.

Art Kehoe should be gone the instant the clock strikes 0:00 against BC.

I hope he's the one coach on this staff that's not retained. This OL has been so inconsistent and just got their asses handed to them today by USF.

Yes, but I defer to people who know more about OL than I do. Kehoe has a better track record than demonstrated by this lot.

Whoever is/was the worst OL coach in the history of college has a better track record than anyone on this board, but that person would still be a bad OL coach. So that observation doesn't say very much.

Last edited:
Leaving emotion out of it, that's a great question.

My dad and I talked about Kehoe after today's USF game. Dad's a retired HS Oline coach, and his opinion is USF's Dline chewed up Miami's Oline today....and they shouldn't have.

Niether one of us really know what to think about Kehoe. At one time he was a decent coach, as he was a part of 5 national championship teams.

But is he still getting it done? Don't know. But one would think the Oline would be playing better.

It will be interesting to see what Golden does in the off season.

Advertisement
NO, **** no.

Lets not kid ourselves that the problem lies soley with Kehoe.

AT an average of 6'5 and 325 we have to be the weakest oline I've ever seen play CFB.

Swasey and his continued lack of power in the trenches continues to show its ugly head.

With as big of an OL as we have theres no reason to me why we cant get a yd. We get stuffed once, its luck or good coaching on the other team, but when we get stuffed on literally 90% of short yardage plays its MORE THAN COINCIDENCE......IMO our guys are weak we need to get stronger. whether that means getting rid of Swasey or whatever I dont know its just my .2

NO, **** no.

Lets not kid ourselves that the problem lies soley with Kehoe.

AT an average of 6'5 and 325 we have to be the weakest oline I've ever seen play CFB.

Swasey and his continued lack of power in the trenches continues to show its ugly head.

This man gets it. The offensive line coach is responsible for the unit's attitude on the field. He's responsible for their individual technique. He's responsible for instilling pride and accountability. He is not solely responsible for their blitz pick ups. He's not responsible for who plays when and at what position. That's not all of what he does but that's the gist.

Anyway, I see a big offensive line that can never get movement against any half decent defensive line. In fact, team-wide I still say that strength is an issue. Big hitting is all about being stronger than the one you're hitting. Is it any wonder that our best consistent hitter is a true freshmen? He hasn't been fully tainted by Swasey but it will happen. If Swasey is still here, It'll be Denzel Perryman's senior year and some of us will be wondering why he looks so smallish at his supposed listed weight of 240. The rest of you will be clueless and make excuses talking about "but he has a small frame"

For the record I was not very enthused with the hiring of Kehoe. I wanted someone fresh and new but if you're going to criticize the man at least realize and know what he's responsible for.

Last edited:
I was never big on the "fire swasey" bus, but after tonight, were just so weak I put those short yarded losses on him no Kehoe IMO

Advertisement
Brandon Washington is a guard.

Tackle play has been inconsistent, too many mental errors. The OL fails to win in short yardage and goal line situations too often. I think its a combination of personnel decisions, not Kehoe's responsibility, (Correct me if I'm wrong.) a lack of continuity, and physicality.

This team doesn't need another coaching change either. Everybody's got to step their game up.

Brandon Washington is a guard.

Tackle play has been inconsistent, too many mental errors. The OL fails to win in short yardage and goal line situations too often. I think its a combination of personnel decisions, not Kehoe's responsibility, (Correct me if I'm wrong.) a lack of continuity, and physicality.

This team doesn't need another coaching change either. Everybody's got to step their game up.

I am inclined to agree with this. At least through next year. If, in fact, the training regimen has changed under Golden, then we should see marked improvement in year 2. However if we are still getting pushed around like a bunch weak puzzies by the likes of USF etc., then Golden's decision is pretty obvious.

You think BWash to OG wasn't Kehoe??? That's classic 'get your five best on the field' Keyquote. And it's why I don't want.

Advertisement
Golden picked the staff. He could've chosen a lot of guys I assume and he picked Kehoe. Same deal Swasey who everyone is up in arms about. These things reflect on Golden as a coach. I'm tired of guys being hired and fired every game (by us) or every year (by Shannon, for instance). One of the signs of a good coach is being able to pick a good staff. If you're on some pathway of firing guys a year after you hired them, that is a bad harbinger. Golden is not new to this. Personally I'd rather have his entire staff stay intact and prove that he knows what he's doing.

This is the one thing that I question Golden on. I just dont understand the constant shuffling. And from a schematic standpoint, all the trapping and pulling on short yardage. And then pad-level just doesn't look good upfront.

Off-season will be interesting to say the least. Golden says he wants a physical squad, I believe him, but I was getting J Ina flashbacks yesterday

Golden picked the staff. He could've chosen a lot of guys I assume and he picked Kehoe. Same deal Swasey who everyone is up in arms about. These things reflect on Golden as a coach. I'm tired of guys being hired and fired every game (by us) or every year (by Shannon, for instance). One of the signs of a good coach is being able to pick a good staff. If you're on some pathway of firing guys a year after you hired them, that is a bad harbinger. Golden is not new to this. Personally I'd rather have his entire staff stay intact and prove that he knows what he's doing.

Bottom line is he needs to address the regression of the oline. Whether it is recruiting, S&C, or technique. Fixing the issue is what makes a good/great coach. If we are talking about this again next year, then I'm worried.

Advertisement
This is the one thing that I question Golden on. I just dont understand the constant shuffling. And from a schematic standpoint, all the trapping and pulling on short yardage. And then pad-level just doesn't look good upfront.

Off-season will be interesting to say the least. Golden says he wants a physical squad, I believe him, but I was getting J Ina flashbacks yesterday

Good to see you here K9. You're a detail guy. Is it more technique, or strength in your opinion?

the thing is I'm not Alex Gibbs, but our units just look poorly coached. The best Oline coach I can remember at UM is Tony Wise, his units were not that big but really came off the ball and played with leverage. And it's not like he he needed 5 All-Americans upfront to make it happen.

I just see us playing to high and not getting underneath the opponents pads. Thats part of the reason why UM's short yardage running is so poor

Like Ive said before, if Kehoe was really good, wouldn't he have landed at other major programs after Coker pink-slipped him?

Good to see you here K9. You're a detail guy. Is it more technique, or strength in your opinion?

I view it a bit differently. First of all, the two staff members people want gone are the two hold-overs / returning Canes (Kehoe and Swasey). I don't think it's a coincidence they're there. AG got heavily lobbied by past players on behalf of both. He may well have been conflicted about each of them. There's reason to believe he was. Was it a mistake to go with them? Hard to say. Purely by the output of their roles, you'd probably say yes. But he's managing a program, and seems clearly to have taken some risks to balance relationship factors.

So the next question is can he accept and chance course, or will he dig in. One of the few things I ink Randy got right was being decisive in moving on when coach sucked. He may have been awful at hiring, but he was pretty good at firing.

If AG keeps getting it wrong, that will be concerning. But so far, I think he's hired well.

/edit: overlooked barrow, though many here would put him next on the chopping block

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back