Does anyone think admission standards might loosen up?

The NCAA has actually raised their academic standards recently. The gap between Miami's admission standards and the NCAA minimum was larger when Miami was beating the crap out of everybody than it is today. The problem with admitting anybody is that they have to maintain eligibility to actually play. Everyone knows college athletes get preferential treatment in the classrooms at most schools but you still see guys getting suspended for academic reasons. Now, if you take a bunch of incoming recruits who can't pass high school courses, you're going to have to find ways to get them to pass college courses. Either you have to hope they magically get smarter or you have to pull a UNC and have fake courses with fake grades and tutors taking exams and all that stuff. If an academic scandal like the one at North Carolina happened in Miami, you can bet the death penalty would be enforced. It's best not to risk it. Besides, do you really want to put all your faith in a bunch of dudes who can't even read or write?

Advertisement
Hope they magically get smarter or cheat?

So, do you think all programs fall into one of these groups? Obviously people don't magically get smarter, so you appear to be saying they cheat. I don't think so. You play the game within the rules, but you play it to the max.

Our admission standards are lower than ever.

How many kids have not qualified over the last few years?

Advertisement

So, do you think all programs fall into one of these groups? Obviously people don't magically get smarter, so you appear to be saying they cheat. I don't think so. You play the game within the rules, but you play it to the max.

If they aren't cheating, how are kids that couldn't pass remedial high school courses passing even the most basic college courses?

If they aren't cheating, how are kids that couldn't pass remedial high school courses passing even the most basic college courses?
I didn't say they aren't cheating. I asked if you are saying they are.

No. My guess, Richt will recruit better players than can qualify. I would expect even more emphasis in the tutoring area to support the recruits, once enrolled.

I wonder if Richt had that discussion before agreeing to take the job. I'd like to see UM using NCAA standards.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back