Dodd: Miami being very 'cooperative' with NCAA

UDontKnow

Recruit
"Miami has been “incredibly cooperativeâ€Â￾ in the Nevin Shapiro case, NCAA president Mark Emmert told CBSSports.com. But at the same time the NCAA’s highest-ranking official reiterated his view that the death penalty should be used as deterrent in certain cases.

Emmert was widely quoted after the Shapiro report broke in August saying, that, hypothetically, the death penalty was an option in the Miami case. He repeated that again recently without speaking specifically about Miami.

“My position hypothetically was, no, you can’t take that [death penalty] off the table,â€Â￾ Emmert told CBSSports.com in a one-on-one interview. “We’re going to need whatever penalty structure we need to get people to behave themselves. If that entails – in extraordinary situations – the death penalty, I’m not unwilling to put that on the table.â€Â￾

When the depth of Shaprio’s influence was revealed, the scandal was called the worst in NCAA history. Since then, there has been competition for that label.

Emmert went out of his way to compliment Miami president Donna Shalala and her role in the ongoing investigation that the NCAA started in the spring. For a sitting NCAA CEO to comment on such a high-profile case as Miami’s is almost unprecedented. For him to drop in compliments in the middle of the case, well, it’s hard to remember if that has ever occurred.

“The reality is that Miami, the university, has been incredibly cooperative,â€Â￾ Emmert said. “[Miami] President Shalala is doing an incredible job of interacting with us. Donna is doing a great job. She is being very, very helpful.â€Â￾

Emmert did not elaborate, only to say that the NCAA is determined to wipe out third-party influence in football. The Shapiro case is ongoing as is the one involving Houston mentor/talent broker Will Lyles."

Advertisement
25.gif

IF Miami gets the "DP" then PSU will NEVER have an Athletic Dept ever again. Neither one will happen. This Miami case has a Tenn/Bruce Pearl feel to it.

Advertisement
take a couple of schoolies and lets get backing to wrecking people......its not like we haven't been playing with half a roster anyway with people like Spencer Whipple,Payne, Sanders, Lewis, Johnson and others....

I don't think they are willing to give us the DP, because they know other schools are/have done worse. So if they give us the DP, and other stories break out of multiple other schools that have done worse, they will have to give them the DP too. The NCAA won't do it, because they know the huge effect it will have on college football, because multiple schools we be getting the DP somewhere along the lines.

I am also in the party that we get off easy. Scholarship losses and a bowl ban at the worst, IMO.

Advertisement
I don't think they are willing to give us the DP, because they know other schools are/have done worse. So if they give us the DP, and other stories break out of multiple other schools that have done worse, they will have to give them the DP too. The NCAA won't do it, because they know the huge effect it will have on college football, because multiple schools we be getting the DP somewhere along the lines.

I am also in the party that we get off easy. Scholarship losses and a bowl ban at the worst, IMO.

i dont want to get DP'd

DP? I'm in. Where do we get this?

Advertisement

Only thing I have to say to this is that when investigating different problems, the NCAA has different committees do each one, and they don't compare cases. Each case starts brand new and there are no precedents or comparisons used between cases.

Lol if we get the DP, what does Penn State deserve?

What about Ohio State..

Only thing I have to say to this is that when investigating different problems, the NCAA has different committees do each one, and they don't compare cases. Each case starts brand new and there are no precedents or comparisons used between cases.

This is true but the NCAA has their own version of Moni who oversees everything, Emmert is the one who put her in charge..

Our cooperation will help us in the long run, I just wish they could conclude the investigation and give us our sanctions now so we can move on. I realize that's not how the NCAA works, but they have to find a way to expedite the process, this stuff takes way too long, and I'm not saying just in our case.

Advertisement
But but but...according to some, Donna should have been fired the moment the "scandal" broke.
Perhaps she should have. Snitching and singing after you get caught ain't the same thing as doing right beforehand. McQueary has been cooperating too.

Worst in history?

Bull****

SMU's situation was by far the worst.

Yeah, that **** ****ed me off when I read that too. This has never been the worst scandal in NCAA history, or even really close to it, It was just blown up by the media.

Advertisement
Back