Do yourselves a favor

Don’t sleep on Benz. He’s becoming a complete player
Was a block away from a 5x5, I can’t find anything on how often that has happened in college but only 14 guys have done it in the league since 1972. If he can shoot at a 40% clip from 3 it’s going to be massive.

Advertisement
In fairness, I think your screen name precludes you from this conversation. :) j/k

I did make it a note to say "Miami Market fans" which are the local fans who did not attend UM. Those are the fans who had a strong hand in building the UM football program, much to the chagrin of UM leadership over the decades.
well this was an AIM screen name when I was kid and it just became easy to remember as logins haha for random sites like this.

and yes I would agree but I also hate our own fans that are in the miami market (tho that the market has changed A Lot over the last 5 years)

Coach L is an elite CBB coach and he emphasizes the nuances of the game to put his guys in the best possible position for what they do well. He’s also evolved his style to fit the modern game. Basically, the opposite direction of what we’re doing in football.

If he free today for a few hours, say around 3:30 or so…

I hate the fact that following the UM basketball program "feels" like its a betrayal of the football program. It can never be proven but the vibe from the Miami market fans is that donna shalala and UM leadership have tried to convert UM into a basketball school. Real or not, it is certainly perceived.

I enjoyed last year's team so much that I attended my first UM basketball game ever. I dont want it to be an either-or thing. We must ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS A FOOTBALL SCHOOL FIRST but we should all want the basketball program to continue to succeed.

UM leadership has little to do with its success.... we were blessed with Coach L..
He dragged this program from the abyss and dark clouds into the light through great coaching, elite decision making and most of all a fun brand of basketball.... if left to our leadership alone, they would have sunk it.
Coach L literally hired himself into the position.. no thanks to our wonderful hiring experts at Hecht..

Watched some of the gam last night and we performed well. At one point near the end we were up by 20. But I heard a concerning statement by one of the announcers saying that UCF was far bigger than us, which concerns me for the long haul. Do we have enough big bodies (- Norchad) to go all the way? I hope so. What say you? No need to drag, just curious.

A couple of big bodies who are young but they will improve with experience

Advertisement
UM leadership has little to do with its success.... we were blessed with Coach L..
He dragged this program from the abyss and dark clouds into the light through great coaching, elite decision making and most of all a fun brand of basketball.... if left to our leadership alone, they would have sunk it.
Coach L literally hired himself into the position.. no thanks to our wonderful hiring experts at Hecht..
amazing that the best hire the school has made since the glory days for football and baseball was a guy who had to send in his own resume bc they didnt know who he was.

Watched some of the gam last night and we performed well. At one point near the end we were up by 20. But I heard a concerning statement by one of the announcers saying that UCF was far bigger than us, which concerns me for the long haul. Do we have enough big bodies (- Norchad) to go all the way? I hope so. What say you? No need to drag, just curious.
Athleticism trumps size and Miami has that in waves along with good guard play.

Size was the issue last year as well. Miller was huge on the glass last year so they will need Cleveland to fill that role. Hopefully Casey has developed enough to be a trusted bench guy. The George kid has good size from the perimeter as well. Gonna need to be 5 man defensive rebounding team. I'm more concerned with them not having an actual point guard again but that was the same as last year as well. The team can flat out score though and will be tough to beat. Its gonna be another fun season.

Coach L is an elite CBB coach and he emphasizes the nuances of the game to put his guys in the best possible position for what they do well. He’s also evolved his style to fit the modern game. Basically, the opposite direction of what we’re doing in football.

How lucky did UM get in landing Coach L?

Advertisement
How lucky did UM get in landing Coach L?

He had a track record of being able to turn a small program without many resources into serious title contenders. In other words- as a HC he showed he could do more with less and proved it against top teams. When he moved up to UM, which had a lot more resources it was a good bet he'd be able to do the same. Seems like a good profile to look for in a coaching search.

On the other hand, let's say Coach L had gained the reputation of being an elite recruiter as an assistant at one of the biggest basketball schools in the country. Then he leveraged that into a HC job at a school closely tied to a major basketball shoe brand (with a sugar daddy paying all the bills) in a mediocre conference, and won the conference championship with a player he inherited who turned out to be one of the best in the NBA, anyone with a brain would be skeptical that it would translate well to UM.

This is and always will be a football program...trust me...I know...ive been around for all 5. BUT, if you aren't already, get to know this basketball team. They are fun and they are good. I know its hard to watch every game but at least get to know the players and follow them as much as you can all year. 2 years ago, Elite 8. Last year, Final 4. This year?? They can do it...they are that good
I agree with most of this except I'd lean toward it being a basketball program at this current moment. I've been following canes hoops every season for years as i have with the football and baseball programs. Followed them back in the Haith days when they were pretty average. Coach L has done an amazing job and done what we all hoped a Coach could do again with the football program. If the hoops program keeps making deep runs and the football team continues to lose 4-7 games a season how can it still be a football school?

Advertisement
Back