Do you think Butch would play a true freshman?

DaCanes386

Sophomore
I can't recall Butch playing any true freshman when he was HC. He stacked the cabinet with "Miami guys", and I think that was his key to success. How will that effect recruiting today?

Advertisement
Butch's best players were a good balance of local and OOS guys so I'm not following you on that point, holmes.

Just a wild guess, but I think he'd play the guys that he thinks are the best and that he thinks give us the best chance to win.

His OOS guys were "Miami guys" based on that they wanted to play for the U. They didn't mind competiton(or red-shirting).

Advertisement
Most freshmen are not really ready to play, even the ones that play. Butch would play any freshman that could contribute.

I remember Reggie Wayne, Damione Lewis, Nate Webster, Dan Morgan and a few other guys playing as true frosh.

Advertisement
Butch isn't afraid to start the best available player at each position, regardless of whether he is a freshman or senior, whether he follows pillars or not.

He played something like 20+ freshmen his first season. He said it was best to get them experience as they would be needed with his loss of 31 scholarships.

Advertisement
I can't recall Butch playing any true freshman when he was HC. He stacked the cabinet with "Miami guys", and I think that was his key to success. How will that effect recruiting today?

He certainly did before. A lot of the team left when he got there, the program was in limp mode, and without Freshmen, he couldn't have fielded a team.

Advertisement
Guys I remember playing as freshman under Butch:

Santana Moss
Reggie Wayne
Clinton Portis
Ed Reed
DJ Williams
Jonathon Vilma
Dan Morgan
Nate Webster
Tramaine Mack
Edgerine James