Do we have a WR Evaluation issue in recruiting?

Evaluation issue or bag issue?

Big time WR's are highly sought after now. They have supplanted RB's.

Saban will let Miami have all the Don Chaney's and Thad Franklin's we want, but they are going to be coming after our Amari Cooper's, Calvin Ridley's, Jerry Juedy's, and Jacorey Brooks.

Advertisement

Saban will let Miami have all the Don Chaney's and Thad Franklin's we want, but they are going to be coming after our Amari Cooper's, Calvin Ridley's, Jerry Juedy's, and Jacorey Brooks.
Bama/Saban knows we struggle to recruit the o lineman needed to allow Chaney & company to thrive. SEC comes here and feasts on what we produce in high volume, receivers & db's.

We also went after Smith and hazelnuts.
Did Moore have a commitable offer? I think that has been debated on here. We went after Jeudy too. Idk how hard we went after Schwartz but some of those sta dudes treat us like cooties. We also went after Rosemy.
I don’t think it’s as much of an evaluation issue as a landing the guys at the top of our board.
But we’ve absolutely done poor evaluations in the lower rated kids

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some of it is evaluation and coaching/development. But I think the larger issue is that we just haven't been good enough to be in the mix for the top talent. Also, until last season, our offense was stuck in the stone ages.

So far our most highly recruited guys haven't lived up to the hype. Mark Pope, Jeremiah Payton, Michael Redding, Daz Worsham haven't done much... Our other WRs Mike Harley, Keyshawn Smith and Xavier Restrepo, who were considered second thoughts in their WR classes are looking like the best ones on our team.
We've evaluated WRs poorly for ages. That should be obvious.

It's possible there are systematic biases that cause the data you suggest, though the law of small numbers makes it really hard to know. Keep in mind, Smith and Restrepo 'look great' based on rumors and practice reports. Payton 'looked great' after his first practice reports, too. I believe a year ago or whenever he showed up, some folks were hyping Redding. What's really going on is hype is hype and you should not form opinions on this stuff based on it. When we see who performs in the fall, we'll know better what to make of our evals.

Considering none of the guys that evaluated most of them are still here not sure why its brought up.

You have also listed freshman....and Mike Harley use to help carry michael irvin pads to the lockers at Greentree his freshman year.

Yall going overboard with this wr thing. We had these guys playing in a putrid offense for years and the young guys are.....well young guys.
Exactly...putrid at best. We have also had an OL development problem for quite sometime to keep QBs off their *** to get the ball to said receivers...not to mention zero push in the running game.

Advertisement
I’m with ya in that the offense didn’t much favrors....

but cmon man the biggest issue is Pope and Wiggins complete inability to catch the ball with any form of consistency. Flat out drops... poor route running... **** I don’t think Wiggins can run anything but a go route
Oh im not capping for those 2. I wasnt high on them as recruits coming out. Im speaking on guys being labeled not doing anything after being here for 1 semester or 2.

Bama/Saban knows we struggle to recruit the o lineman needed to allow Chaney & company to thrive. SEC comes here and feasts on what we produce in high volume, receivers & db's.
Our rbs thrive quite well. Saban and the rest of just knows that the best wr and dbs in the country are located in south florida.

Our rbs thrive quite well. Saban and the rest of just knows that the best wr and dbs in the country are located in south florida.
Yeah, I guess the better way for me to have worded that first part was, our rb's can thrive in spite of our o line.

you could have put elijah moore and tutu atwell and whoever else were evaluation misses at WR and it wouldn't have closed the gap in the clemson and north carolina games

Advertisement
So far our most highly recruited guys haven't lived up to the hype. Mark Pope, Jeremiah Payton, Michael Redding, Daz Worsham haven't done much... Our other WRs Mike Harley, Keyshawn Smith and Xavier Restrepo, who were considered second thoughts in their WR classes are looking like the best ones on our team.

wasn't daz a freshman? same w Redding? kinda unfair to say they haven't lived up to hype when they were here w no spring/summer and half their practices basically cut out.

Payton and pope on the other hand.

you could have put elijah moore and tutu atwell and whoever else were evaluation misses at WR and it wouldn't have closed the gap in the clemson and north carolina games
Probably not.
But we almost certainly beat OkSU if those two were on the field over Pope/Wiggins.
I'd take 9-2 with a bounceback bowl win over 8-3 losing our last 2 games.

Advertisement

And we didn't recruit any of them as hard or we came on late in their recruitment. Evaluation issue.

And we didn't recruit any of them as hard or we came on late in their recruitment. Evaluation issue.
We scrwed up with cooper, imo. The other guys, not so. We tried for jeudy. Ridly wasn’t coming. Brooks was Bama from early on in cycle. Imo.

Advertisement
Back