Do we have a QB coach?

Advertisement
I don’t like QB coaches that never played the position (college or pro). That’s a very unique position on the field that requires first hand experience (mindset, the way a QB sees the field and processes info). Only a former QB should coach QBs.

Guys like Ponce and Coley should never ever coach QBs.
Bill O'Brien was a LB/DB
Jeff Lebby was an OL at Oklahoma
Andy Ludwig was a WR

List goes on and on

This is the 247 board’s response to what QB coach we should target lol

790E9D58-CA40-454A-B90D-38FE96A46936.png

32655CDB-08EC-4457-81BA-66B93FB2E62F.png

I don’t like QB coaches that never played the position (college or pro). That’s a very unique position on the field that requires first hand experience (mindset, the way a QB sees the field and processes info). Only a former QB should coach QBs.

Guys like Ponce and Coley should never ever coach QBs.
So you're out on Mike Leach, Andy Reid, Brian Daboll, or in the past- Bill Walsh, Howard Schnellenberger, LaVell Edwards. Guys off the top of my head that didn't play QB (or Leach- play at all) in college or NFL?

Advertisement
Advertisement
So you're out on Mike Leach, Andy Reid, Brian Daboll, or in the past- Bill Walsh, Howard Schnellenberger, LaVell Edwards. Guys off the top of my head that didn't play QB (or Leach- play at all) in college or NFL?
Cutcliffe didn't play ball in college either, did he? He didn't even coach QBs until 1990, yet he's considered a top QB coach.

You're debating with a retarded guy.

I wouldn't hate if Gattis brought Matt Weiss with him.

Advertisement
Too junior IMO. He's a GA for god's sake. I'd say he's behind DVD as a comparison. I'd love to have him off-field, though.

Fair points but I don't think every hire on this staff is going to be at a senior level. I am assuming 1-2 relatively young guys on staff and Williams has been around...playing under Fisch and at a program that just won a NC. Our fellow poster Jay noted that he has talked to Mario, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets that gig. Just a gut feeling (or too much probiotics...lol).

Don't really have any names in mind but would like a legit QB coach and not just a recruiter. Someone who we could groom for the OC role when Gattis leaves (1-2 years here) for a head coaching job.

Advertisement
Fair points but I don't think every hire on this staff is going to be at a senior level. I am assuming 1-2 relatively young guys on staff and Williams has been around...playing under Fisch and at a program that just won a NC. Our fellow poster Jay noted that he has talked to Mario, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets that gig. Just a gut feeling (or too much probiotics...lol).

A junior hire would be like taking a QB coach from a lower level P5 or high level G5 IMO. Maybe an NFL analyst. We're not elevating GA's to position coach, man. Not on this staff. Not sure this will be a JR level hire, anyway. I'd bet against it.

Also Jay said that Wiliams talked to Mario and that he doesn't "think it goes anywhere for the QB coaching job but he planted the seed for an off-field role."

Probiotics are good for you though, don't get discouraged! :)

Think we could poach Tim Beck? The dude was a badass recruiter at UT & tOSU and did great with Leary this year. Looks like he makes $700-800K at NC State.

Casula would be crazy to leave UMASS where is the OC. He doesn't know if or when Pattis would leave Miami.

Go Canes
Crazy? He’d be in line for a huge pay raise and umass is one of the worst football programs in the country..I doubt he’ll get the offer but if he does he certainly wouldn’t classify as crazy for taking it 😂

Advertisement
Back